Being ill abroad

9
DaljinderJ

Being ill is never fun but feeling under the weather while living abroad can sometimes feel even worse.

I’m currently working in Paris as a language assistant in a small but lovely primary school. I’m sharing a pretty apartment with two other girls and we’re all on our year abroad from the same English university.

However the new environment of Paris, the close quarters of our apartment and working with children has meant that I’ve found myself not feeling very well on more than one occasion.

I’ve now realised that when you're ill you miss the comforts of home much more: the sympathy of affectionate parents, your own personal space and of course, the little treats that always cheer you up.

The same could be said when living away from home and studying at a university in your home country. But when living abroad, it’s more likely that your favourite ritual of watching a particular show all day isn’t possible because of the lack of a television or good internet connection and the responsibilities of working or studying. The same applies to favourite snacks as I’ve discovered that a classic white loaf of sliced bread here is oddly a lot smaller. This sometimes isn’t quite satisfying when I’m missing my childhood favourite of curling up in bed with hot, fragrant soup and buttery toast.

Also, I’m sure many people will agree that there is a pressure to constantly do new things on a year abroad, therefore hiding in bed automatically creates some guilt and anxiety.

However, as difficult as it may at first seem, it’s important to not let these differences lead to more stress and illness. I’ve decided to use this as the chance to indulge and find new favourites so I’m now fond of cats’ tongues biscuits and French reality shows. I’ve also used the time to be productive. In addition to organising my lesson plans and completing important forms, I’ve cheered myself up by researching days out and city events to look forward to.

Nevertheless, it is quite soothing to wallow a bit and talk to friends and family back home. The girls that I’m living with also understand what I’m feeling so while bonding and sniffling into tissues together, we’ve come to decide that it’s all part of the experience of a foreign country. After all, the French get ill too!

What do you like to do when you’re feeling ill?

Manaly's picture
Manaly 28 July, 2016 - 16:56

Always when i am sick i hate everything and prefer to set alone. I can not communicate with others and also can not bear hearing their talks. So, i prefer to be in bed until i get better ;)

hadia 21 March, 2016 - 15:59

Yeah!! Sleeping is the best way :)
My Dad always says me this whenever I am ill........ :))
After a long time sleep one feels really better than before XD

DaljinderJ's picture
DaljinderJ 10 April, 2016 - 00:15

Definitely, sleeping can be such an effective way to feel better when ill as it gives your body the chance to rest. In fact, my mum always told me this fact when I was ill. Also, thank you for your lovely comment.

DaljinderJ's picture
DaljinderJ 10 April, 2016 - 00:13

I agree, sleeping can be a very effective remedy for when we're ill. However, it is also very important when we're not ill as it's very beneficial our body. Without sleep, our bodies don't get the chance to recover from working so hard during the day!  Also, thank you for your interesting comment.

Ken 17 April, 2016 - 13:16

My comment? Interesting? Thanks!
When I catch a cold, I take medicins and energy drink along with a good sleep.
( ´,_ゝ`)ゝ”

gianggiang 13 November, 2015 - 15:50

When I am feeling ill, I like to sleep. : D
When I was small, I wanted to be ill because if so, I didn't have to go to school ! But now.......health is very important.

DaljinderJ's picture
DaljinderJ 10 April, 2016 - 00:11

I agree, I love to sleep when I'm ill. Plus sleep always makes you feel better. I can definitely understand that. I wanting to be ill sometimes when I was younger so that I didn't have to go to school. But now, like you said, health is important and I find that sick days aren't as fun as an adult because you still have errands to do. Thank you for your thoughtful comment.

Ken 8 August, 2016 - 00:31

Hi it looks like I'm quite opposite! When I was younger, somehow I never wanted to skip class due to illness or other reasons... Seeing teachers and classmates are more exciting than my family!!
。.:*・゜(n・e・)η゚・*:.。.☆