The best kind of present

10
ElizabethS

What’s better than a present? A homemade present of course!

Homemade means that someone has not gone to a shop to buy you a present, but they have made the present themselves. This, in my opinion, is better than something from a shop, even if it is unlikely to have cost very much.

A homemade gift is much more personal, and it shows that a lot of effort and thought has gone into making it. Also, if something is homemade, it is unique! The same can’t be said for the millions of iPhones or other gadgets that people own.

What could I make?
I’ve given my friends cakes in the past as a present. Cakes are usually a very good gift (most people like cake!) because there is a such a huge variety of cakes to make. You could make lots of small fairy cakes and decorate them, you could make a cheesecake or a big sponge cake, with jam and cream in the middle. Or my personal favourite, a tasty chocolate cake! Even if you’ve never made a cake before, there are lots of books and websites that could help you – have a look in your library, or simply google ‘how to make a cake.’

Googling ‘how to…’ was something I did last night. I had bought some wool and knitting needles earlier during the day, with the intention of making a scarf for someone as a Christmas present. When I got home I realised that I had forgotten how to knit. 10 minutes later and after watching a few videos on Youtube and following some instructions, I was well on my way. The scarf is taking shape, though it may be a while before it’s long enough to fit around anyone’s neck!

But I’m not very good at arts and crafts, what else can I do?
Homemade doesn’t necessarily mean a painting, or something you have made out of materials, it can mean other things as well.

For example, collecting together lots of photos and sticking them together in a collage is a great gift, and very easy to make. I love looking at photos and being reminded of what I was doing, who I was with, where we were.

Making a card is very simple as well, if you don’t have time to make the actual present. All you need is a pen and paper. Even if you’re not very good at drawing, stick men can be funny and cool!

So why not have a go? The next time you give a present, give something homemade and make it really special.

Topics: 

Have you ever made something for somebody? Has anyone ever given you a homemade present?

Elsa007 15 August, 2015 - 04:24

What a lovely and touching article!
It reminded me of the importance of warmhearted deed which is often forgotten owing to commercialized gifts…!
Indeed, I remember that I was on top of cloud nine when I received a homemade video made by my father who was out most of the time due to his business. It might be one of his usual videos he took, but the great thing is that he made it specially for my birthday...! I'd never had such a heartwarming present and felt encouraged to know his heart of gold. Nothing beats a homemade present!!!… Oh oh, provided that the gift-giver is welcome…..! ツ

gianggiang 9 May, 2016 - 10:44

What a great farther you have !
My dad never cares about my birthday, he even didn't know which grade I was in until I told him I was going to finish primary school.
That's similar to my mom. She said that I should pay attention to studies instead of making ridiculous and useless handmade gifts for her. My mom doesn't like maudlin feelings, I think. :VV

adorable1407's picture
adorable1407 26 October, 2014 - 12:09

Ohh..I've never done any homemade presents, but after reading this article I should! It shows us, that you don't have to spend a lot of money, to give somebody original and unique gift! All you need is free time good will and great idea! :)
I saw the picture with biscuts ... i'd really like to eat them :p so maybe next time i'll bake them and give somebody or...get as a gift ! :p (hopefully ;) )

Fatime143's picture
Fatime143 8 February, 2014 - 12:47

Yes,I made different colours necklace for my friends in their birthday and they like it very much.I baked different biscuits for my mother birthday.She was very happy.

serap's picture
serap 23 January, 2014 - 15:58

I haven't made one so far, but on Monday I'll make some cute cupcakes for a close friend of mine!

princessred124's picture
princessred124 17 November, 2013 - 13:38

Yes, I have. I made different colored bracelets for my friend as her birthday present and gave them in a form of set of bracelets. I drew many pictures of the moments we spent together. I baked a cake for her birthday party too. She loved it and thanked me a lot! Nobody has given me a home made present....anyway :(! I agree that home-made presents are much times great than bought presents. They are filled with our efforts, will and loads of love :)

Natalija 9 November, 2013 - 14:55

Yes, I have. I made a necklace for my friend, and she liked it. I also made a collage of photos for my grandparents-for their 50th anniversary of marriage. They were really happy. I agree that homemade presents are better than bought ones, because they show us that that person really cares for us and that she put a lot of effort to make it, and that's something I really appreciate. I had one poor friend, and since she had no money to buy birthday presents, she used to make them and they were really especial and amazing. I liked her presents best, and I still have some jewelry she got me and stuff like that. We don't need much money to make people happier, just a good will and loads of love.

Harabeli Supersweet 8 November, 2013 - 14:44

No, I haven't. I make some cute paper crafts, but I never donate them to my fiends or relatives. Once I made a jewelry box with Tinkerbell for my mum. Mum can make some wonderful sweaters and I like them very much.