Thursday, 7 November, 2013 - 13:23

The best kind of present

by ElizabethS

What’s better than a present? A homemade present of course!

Homemade means that someone has not gone to a shop to buy you a present, but they have made the present themselves. This, in my opinion, is better than something from a shop, even if it is unlikely to have cost very much.

A homemade gift is much more personal, and it shows that a lot of effort and thought has gone into making it. Also, if something is homemade, it is unique! The same can’t be said for the millions of iPhones or other gadgets that people own.

What could I make?
I’ve given my friends cakes in the past as a present. Cakes are usually a very good gift (most people like cake!) because there is a such a huge variety of cakes to make. You could make lots of small fairy cakes and decorate them, you could make a cheesecake or a big sponge cake, with jam and cream in the middle. Or my personal favourite, a tasty chocolate cake! Even if you’ve never made a cake before, there are lots of books and websites that could help you – have a look in your library, or simply google ‘how to make a cake.’

Googling ‘how to…’ was something I did last night. I had bought some wool and knitting needles earlier during the day, with the intention of making a scarf for someone as a Christmas present. When I got home I realised that I had forgotten how to knit. 10 minutes later and after watching a few videos on YouTube and following some instructions, I was well on my way. The scarf is taking shape, though it may be a while before it’s long enough to fit around anyone’s neck!

But I’m not very good at arts and crafts, what else can I do?
Homemade doesn’t necessarily mean a painting, or something you have made out of materials, it can mean other things as well.

For example, collecting together lots of photos and sticking them together in a collage is a great gift, and very easy to make. I love looking at photos and being reminded of what I was doing, who I was with, where we were.

Making a card is very simple as well, if you don’t have time to make the actual present. All you need is a pen and paper. Even if you’re not very good at drawing, stick men can be funny and cool!

So why not have a go? The next time you give a present, give something homemade and make it really special.

Language level
Topics

Have you ever made something for somebody? Has anyone ever given you a homemade present?

English courses near you