The Boqueria Market in Barcelona

13
Melissa Clissold

Boqueria. This is a word that every local living in Barcelona will recognise. If you stop someone on the street and ask them where the Boqueria is, they will, without a doubt, point in its general direction and tell you it’s worth a visit.

Last weekend I went to Barcelona to see the places I hadn’t been before and the Boqueria was one of them. ‘La Boqueria’, as it is called here, is an open food market in the heart of Barcelona that has a wide range of food stalls ranging from fruit and vegetable stalls, butchers, bakeries and fresh fish stands. It has been around since the 1200s and has, for several decades, provided Barcelonans with a place to shop for a wide range of products.

For those who haven’t been to Barcelona, it is important to know that it is the largest city in Catalonia, the autonomous region of North East Spain. Currently there are several million tourists that visit this city each year. Being a tourist myself, I booked myself into a hostel and headed up Las Ramblas - the main strip that runs through the centre of the city. It is off Las Ramblas that I stumbled into the Boqueria, which drew me in with its vivid colours, and irresistible smells.

What I discovered was that the Boqueria is much more than a market. People do not only go to the Boqueria for buying fresh food products but also to meet their friends in one of the many Tapas bars that are scattered around the area. Tapas are traditional Spanish appetisers that are found in most bars and are often served alongside a ‘Canya’ (a small beer) or a glass of ‘Vino Tinto’ (red wine). The Boqueria is a place to bring people together and share the experience of a small town market in a large city such as Barcelona.

When the weather is sunny there is generally a huge crowd of people walking around, drinking and eating and pushing past one another to buy the freshest and cheapest food. The chattering of friends and yelling of market sellers truly adds to the vibrant atmosphere of the market. If you ever decide to travel to Barcelona, do not give the Boqueria a miss; and whilst you are there don’t forget to try the fresh fruit juice for 1.50 Euros (Bargain!)

For more information you can check out the website of the Boqueria that also has an English version.

Where's the best place to buy food in your town? What exciting food or traditional dishes do you recommend for visitors to where you live?

Natalija 27 March, 2013 - 13:27

Serbia is famous for its' delicious food. I recommend meals from meat, like dolmas. It's meat rolled in cabbage's leaves, and the filling generally contains of meat, rice, nuts etc., whatever you want. I don't like to eat it very often, only sometimes, because it's a caloric bomb, but it's really delicious. The best place to buy are supermarkets, and fisheries. I usually buy at Maxi(it's the biggest supermarket in Serbia), and it has all I need, and of course, the stores for healthy food.

dona cenja's picture
dona cenja 8 March, 2013 - 10:03

Hiii,,,I am from Albania here in my country have many supermarkets....we many diferent foods and they are so delicious....you should visit Albania to try them..

Hanna's picture
Hanna 29 January, 2013 - 17:27

Hello)
I`m from Poltava, Ukraine. We have many markets and supermarkets here.
I recommend to everyone try borsch, leaf lard in chocolate and dumplings(pampuschkas).
Also we have dampling`s monument here.
Welcome to Poltava!

Irini Real Madrid's picture
Irini Real Madrid 19 January, 2013 - 17:50

i live in albania and the food that i would reccomend to the tourists will be fish like korani
i like the coment about the food in pakistan

Sizar Torres's picture
Sizar Torres 29 August, 2012 - 09:31

Hi...
Well ti seems that Boqueria Market is really fascinating!
In my region there is also a big Bazaar, which looks like Boqueria, it is always full of people and full of fresh food and meat and almost all the people buy there grocery and meat there as they are fresh and affordable not expensive.These kinds of shops maybe a little bit strange for you, but it is common in the poor countries.

Thanks

m.tayyab's picture
m.tayyab 3 August, 2012 - 08:43

I live in Pakistan and here in Lahore most of the people like to go food streets and take some eatables at there. The most traditional dishes in Lahore are Seri-payae and Fish in winter.