Is British food really that bad?

6
CleaG

As a Brit abroad I have often had comments and questions, such as ‘So what do you actually eat?’ ‘I hear British food isn’t so great …’ or ‘Do you even have a traditional meal?’ At first I thought this was just a stereotype that existed in Europe, but I have recently discovered that the opinion of bad British food has even reached South America! So I began to ask myself, is our food really that bad?

In comparison to our neighbours, British food has never been seen as a delicacy like French cuisine. For example, you can find French restaurants in Britain, but a British restaurant in France … that's not very likely, unless it's just a pub! Perhaps then when people think of British food they think of sandwiches, or the simple and unhealthy fish and chips. Or maybe they just think of all the foreign food that is so popular in Britain, such as pizza and pasta taken from the Italians. Therefore our multicultural food industry might suggest that we believe our own food is worse than food from other countries, like Indian, Thai or Chinese.

But when you start to think properly about traditional British food, you begin to realise that some of it is actually pretty good! Although perhaps simple and unhealthy, fish and chips is also delicious, as is a Cornish pasty (meat and vegetables in pastry) and any British pie at all! We have a meal for breakfast: the incredible combination of eggs, bacon, sausage, beans, mushrooms and bread (the cooked Breakfast), we have a meal for Sundays (roast lunch) with meat, vegetables and potatoes, and we even have a tradition for between lunch and dinner (afternoon tea) with the two best things: cake and tea.

So it may be because I’ve eaten British food all my life, but I personally think that it is much better than its reputation! It may be less characteristic than Indian or Chinese food, but we do know how to make at least a few great meals, and of course, cakes. 

Have you ever tried British food? 

Manaly's picture
Manaly 18 July, 2016 - 17:34

I have never tried British food but i want to.
Personally i think there isn't a bad food at any country!
It just depends on each one's taste and opinion about that food.

Papar9998's picture
Papar9998 24 October, 2015 - 10:12

I have never tried but i once heared in a british movie that foreigners think british food is not so tasty(i saw in downtonabbey)

sanpai28's picture
sanpai28 21 October, 2015 - 12:53

I have never tried British food but I really really want to try. This will be so delicious. I haven't tried British breakfast and Sunday meal, but I have often eaten cakes and I like them. And I like one main English drink. You'll know this.....Of course TEA! I love very very much. I like to drink tea both hot and cold. My father is a tea lover too. He usually drinks about four of five cups a day! We are the foreigners who have British stereotype. :D
I really really want to eat that food mentioned in the picture. I think it is British breakfast. When I'm reading this article, my mouth goes wet and I can hear my saliva passing through the throat( glu...glu..)
:) But I have also an idea like others that this food is not for the ones who are dieting and it may be unhealthy. And I see that British breakfast and Sunday meal mostly contain meats. I'm not a vegetarian so .....I like IT very very much. Both the picture and the article make me staving. Although I don't want to eat that food every day as I don't want to be like pig :) , I'm sure that I really really want to eat that British breakfast. It will be grand, unique and ...of course very very yummy! mmmmmm:P

meltem's picture
meltem 21 October, 2015 - 06:52

I have not had any chance to try british food but it is said that if you w desire to persuade an English person to do something about any topic, you should invite him/her to an excellent afternoon tea time that contain delicious cakes!!!!

iva10 20 October, 2015 - 21:35

No i haven't but i've seen some pictures how it looks .It looks realy nice,i'm mostly fasineted with the looks of it.

gianggiang 20 October, 2015 - 13:30

No,I haven't. Every country has its traditional food and I believe that all food is very good. Well, eggs,bacon, sausage, beans,mushrooms and bread, I really really want to try eating them. I ensure they are very delicious!
( I am imaging a big meal..... feel hungry!)