The build up to Easter!

17
KatieP

I really like celebrating Easter with my family and I know that the time is coming up due to the arrival of Shrove or Fat Tuesday, which this year will be on 4th March. Shrove Tuesday is the day before Ash Wednesday. Ash Wednesday is the start of Lent which is then 40 days before Easter Sunday! It might seem a bit confusing but traditionally many people may give up certain rich or fatty foods for lent which means they will not eat that food again until Easter Sunday.

Shrove Tuesday is better known to me as Pancake Day! On this day people try and use up as much of the rich and fatty foods that they have left in their house so they eat lots and lots of the food they are trying to give up. Pancakes are made of flour, eggs, milk and butter so are quite rich and fatty. That's why it's a tradition to eat pancakes on this day!

I love pancake day and I use it as an excuse to have pancakes for breakfast, dinner and tea! I like to have them savoury with meat or cheese but my favourite ones are sweet ones. I like to have them with orange and sugar, chocolate spread or ice cream!

Sometimes I try to give up certain foods too. Last year I gave up crisps for Lent and the year before I gave up chocolate. It can be really hard though and in previous years I have forgotten! This year I will be in Barcelona for pancake day and I'll be on holiday so hopefully I can find some pancakes. I haven't given it much thought yet though what I might like to give up this year!

Have you ever tried to give up eating something in particular for a set amount of time? What did you give up and how easy was it? 

Tony2003's picture
Tony2003 15 November, 2015 - 02:47

Yep,we hardly see a big Easter Day in Vietnam,that is a shame though,but we can not do anything with it.

NMemmedova's picture
NMemmedova 13 March, 2014 - 18:44

LIMON GIVES GOOD TASTE TO IT......aLSO I LIKE LIMON ...
i THIK THIS MEAL IS VERY TASTE...bUT i DON`T EAT THIS MEAL.........i LOVE HAMBURGER....

Jonathan - Coor... 14 March, 2014 - 01:46

Hi NMemmedova. Thanks for your nice comment but please don't write all in CAPITALS as it looks like shouting. :)

justcricketforme 5 March, 2014 - 10:47

I'm fed up of sandwiches! Sandwiches in the morning, sandwiches in school luch, sandwiches in tea! Sandwiches and sandwiches!

MALINE 4 March, 2014 - 16:43

I have to give up meat, starting tomorrow and all Fridays for Lent,this is hard because I love meat but I´ve been doing this since I was a kid so I´m used to it.
Shrove Tuesday sounds delicious but it can´t be good for your diet! I also preffer sweet pancakes,her in México they are called "crepas" and you can find them at the markets.

Hanna's picture
Hanna 4 March, 2014 - 14:32

In Ukraine we have not only Shrove Tuesday, but the whole week of pancakes. And this Monday was a start of Lent. Usually I don't give up anything for this period, cause I have many activities(study hard, physical trainings and other). But from now on I'll try to eat less fat food, bake and stuff like that

alimarq's picture
alimarq 20 May, 2016 - 15:46

Hi KatieP! Why you don't do that there? I'm curious to know :)
Greetings from Mexico