Burns Night

2
RosemaryM

Recently, I have been teaching a class about Scottish traditions. They are going to Edinburgh next month, and wanted to know a little more about the culture. Besides telling them lots of information about iconic landmarks, such as Edinburgh Castle and Mary King's Close, I also told them about traditions such as the bagpipe and the kilt. Along with all of this, I told them about a celebration known as Burns Night.

Burns Night is celebrated on the 25th January. Festivities take place across Scotland to honour Scotland's national poet, Robert Burns. He is well known for the poem - now frequently performed as a song - named 'Auld Lang Syne'; this is often sung on New Year's Eve (known as Hogmanay in Scotland). On Burns Night, many people will gather together. Someone playing the bagpipes (a traditional Scottish musical instrument) will enter the room, leading the procession. The chef will follow, carrying the haggis (a Scottish dish made of sheep's innards - typically the heart, liver and lungs - mixed with onion, spices and salt) on a platter. Someone will then recite the poem 'Address to a Haggis'; this is another poem by Robert Burns. The haggis is usually served with 'neeps and tatties' (turnips and potatoes). The Burns Supper will include two further courses - usually meat for the main course, followed by a traditional Scottish dessert. Whilst at university I attended a Burns Supper - I didn't eat the haggis on this occasion as I had tried it before and didn't like it! 

After dinner, music is played and people take part in traditional Scottish dancing - sometimes known as a 'ceilidh' (pronounced 'kay-lee'). I am a very uncoordinated person, but I love Scottish dancing! It's easy to learn the steps and a great source of entertainment! 

In the lead-up to Burns Night, you can often find recipes in newspapers and details of events which will take place. Although this is a Scottish tradition, it has spread across the UK and you can now celebrate it in London!

Are there any celebrations like Burns Night in your country?

hadia 27 November, 2016 - 10:06

Yeah.such events, for paying tribute to the national legends are held her too. They really are exciting and I enjoy them much.

mazerunner's picture
mazerunner 22 January, 2015 - 14:38

This sounds really exciting!!!
I would love to experience the atmosphere!!
And to be more specific Robert Burn's songs are beautiful.