Celebrating the New Year in London

EleanorC

New Year’s Eve is always a really exciting time of year. I love spending the evening with friends and remembering all the good things that have happened and all the things I have learned in the past twelve months. This year, I was lucky enough to celebrate the beginning of 2014 in London on the banks of the River Thames.

The city of London offers one of the most spectacular firework displays in Europe on New Year’s Eve. The fireworks are launched next to the river, from the base of the London Eye. They light up famous landmarks like Big Ben and Saint Paul’s Cathedral. Apparently, around 250 000 people go to watch the fireworks every year!

Before going to the river on New Year’s Eve, my friends and I did a traditionally British thing – we went to the pub. We shared our best and worst moments of 2013 and talked about the exciting things that 2014 might bring. Then we joined the crowds of Londoners, families and tourists to wait until midnight.

The fireworks were fantastic. As well as the visual effects, there was also peach snow and banana flavoured confetti! The explosions were accompanied by the best British music from 2013, including some of my favourite songs. Even though it was raining, everyone put their umbrellas down and forgot about the weather. We held hands and danced to the traditional New Year's song called ‘Auld Lang Syne’. It was a wonderful feeling celebrating the arrival of 2014 in London: I had seen the fireworks before on television but it was much better to watch them in real life.

How did you celebrate New Year's Eve this year? Are there firework displays in your city?  

blablabla75's picture
blablabla75 29 January, 2014 - 18:20

I was in the Dominican Republic for New Year's Eve. It was beautiful because there were fireworks over the ocean. I loved it !
It was interesting to read the article !
I think the London fireworks were very nice !

MALINE 11 January, 2014 - 15:42

There is a huge display of fireweorks on New Year's Eve but also in so many other holidays such as Independece Day,Christmas,December 12th(the blessed virgin),weddings and even at birthdays,I love fireworks.

justcricketforme 10 January, 2014 - 01:59

In Pakistan, there are always fireworks and crackers at New Year's Eve and even some people fire up in the year to show their happines. This year, when the clock stroke 00:00, all of Islamabad got mad! Fireworks, crackers, dancing and air firing! Even though air firing isn't allowed and they'd go behind the bars, people did it for fun. I stayed in front of the TV watching this New Year's Eve special from Australia and I missed the fun with the crackers though! But still I wish I was in London for the New Year's Eve!

QueenD's picture
QueenD 8 January, 2014 - 21:04

Well I was suppose to go to city with my friends,but it's same every year,so I was at home watching films with my internet best friend.We had all night long marathons.At midnight there were thousands of fireworks in the sky,it was beautiful.Even if my country is small,the fireworks were amazing not like in Dubai or New York or London.But also as AngelD above my dream is coming to London,and it would be absolutely awsome if I get to come in the time of New Year :)

AngelD's picture
AngelD 7 January, 2014 - 16:18

The best day of winter vacations here in Albania is New Year's Eve. It is really a special day, especially the evening and when the time says 00:00. But before this people here ,families, friends go to each-other and often they eat dinner together. The special dishes are turkey with "pershesh" ,also a traditional dessert is called "bakllava".
The firework displays are so amazing. But here they are exploded mostly by normal or usual people not from the government. I like them but sometimes I got bored because of their noise !!
When New Year came me and my friends went out. We staid in a pub where was an excellent music from a known DJ. It was amazing. But I want to celebrate a New Year's Eve in London :(

FabioItaly's picture
FabioItaly 7 January, 2014 - 15:09

I celebrate my New Year's Eve in Italy, my country.
I stay at my friend's home on Turin.
There werethe music, the food and the drink.
We danced util midnight! than, there were the firework!
by, goog 2014. with love, fabio :)

sailor moon's picture
sailor moon 5 January, 2014 - 20:41

yes i celebrated the new year`s eve here in Italy.
it was so good, the fireworks fill up the city.
it looks like in London you have so much fun than in Italy !

Niluh 5 January, 2014 - 11:27

I didn't go outside home in new year's eve, i stayed all the night watching films on TV whilst people were gathering in Jakarta night festival watching music concert and counting down to 2014.
There are a lot of firework displays in my city, i could see and hear they exploded from my house. It was really amazing night, i really enjoyed new year's eve even i only stayed in front of TV.