Sport

Cheese rolling: an extreme sport?

19
MatthewBlogger

Need more excitement in your life? Maybe it's time to take up an extreme sport!

Extreme sports are activities that involve a high amount of danger and excitement. Each year they are becoming more and more popular, but why? The main reason is for an adrenaline rush and to feel invincible. Some examples of extreme sports include base jumping, ice climbing, cave diving, and ... cheese rolling?!

No one knows exactly how it started, but Cooper's Hill Cheese-Rolling Race is an annual event that has taken place for over 100 years. The name comes from Cooper's Hill where the 'sport' takes place, just outside the village of Brockworth, England.

It's as silly as it sounds – a wheel of cheese is thrown down a hill while a group of people chase after it, trying to be the first to catch it or reach the bottom of the hill. The cheese weighs around 7 lbs (just over 3kg) and picks up a lot of speed travelling down the very steep slope. If you win, you get to keep the cheese, and if you come second or third you'll receive £10. Incredibly, the event has become so popular that people travel from all over the world to take part – even from as far away as Canada and Australia.

But what makes the sport so extreme, and why has the local council tried to ban the tradition? Injuries – and lots of them. The hill is so steep that it's not actually possible to run down it. Instead, you fall, bounce and roll your way to the bottom. Ambulances arrive at the event before the race even starts in preparation for all those who will need a trip to the hospital. Head on over to YouTube and search for 'Gloucestershire Cheese Rolling' to see the event in action. Be prepared to both laugh and cover your eyes in shock. 

What do you think of cheese rolling? Would you try it? Which extreme sport would you most like to try, and why?

Art2002's picture
Art2002 23 January, 2017 - 17:09

It is very funny and amusing hobby.
I think that it is not a sport,but interesting to spend time with good company!)

CaMu_3HaeTe_KT0_9I's picture
CaMu_3HaeTe_KT0_9I 23 January, 2017 - 19:32

Cheese rolling is very unusual sport. People do not get tired to come up with new types of extreme sports. Fantasy and a thirst for new experiences encourage people to open new horizons. I think, that it's good and interesting)

PetryevaKate's picture
PetryevaKate 23 January, 2017 - 15:13

I think that It is so stupid and dangerous sport. It is not funny. These people do not think about their life.

ShadowyF0x's picture
ShadowyF0x 23 January, 2017 - 15:08

I'm not impressed :\
Why didn't these people just buy and eat cheese? That would be safer and testier... o:
No, I wouldn't like to try it and other extreme sports.

❶❺❸❼

GrAlena's picture
GrAlena 23 January, 2017 - 14:25

This sport is very unusual.I don't like extreme sports, but cheese rolling I like.I think this sport is dangerous!

Valentin63242's picture
Valentin63242 23 January, 2017 - 14:07

WHAT IS IT? Extreme sport?
I think that this sport is not have a lot of popularity in Russia.

PetryevaKate's picture
PetryevaKate 23 January, 2017 - 13:07

DinaSpace123's picture
DinaSpace123 22 January, 2017 - 19:16

It so very fantastic!
This sport very exciting,funny and cool!
I would like to play at this sport with my friends and cheese :)
School 1537 .

hadia 25 November, 2016 - 15:21

This really seems an exciting sport. I'd love to play. Dangerous games themselves scream excitement anf fun......But I don't want to have that cheese if I'd win. I'd rather prefer something else. :)))) I don't like cheese much.