This Christmas Time

19
LewisG

Winter is here once again.
It is that special time of year when
Snow is falling and all is white
And Christmas lights dazzle, oh so bright!

The days are shorter and nights are long
When Christmas carollers sing their songs.
The festive spirit from a joyful choir
Brings comfort and warmth like an open fire.

Our children play and in the snow they can
Work together to build a snowman.
And when it’s frozen, on the lake they skate.
"How many more days until Christmas to wait?"

The time is near and the shopping’s almost done.
From the school all children surely run.
With Christmas markets and good company,
It's a time for friends and family.

Yet amidst it all, please bear a thought
For all of those who don’t have a lot.
Love and kindness from your family and mine
To one and all this Christmas time.

What does Christmas mean to you, in your part of the world?

catastrophe's picture
catastrophe 12 June, 2017 - 15:48

What is Christmas for me? Well, I can't say. I don't celebrate Christmas religiously. I just decorate the tree and throw a small party with my cousins. We mostly gift each other, if we have any pocket money left. Geez, that's the hard part. But gifts or no gifts, we still play, song and dance all day long, much to the elder's annoyance! :)))
So Christmas to me means love and sharing. Though some people use Christmas as a commercial, we still can say that people haven't yet forgotten the message behind Christmas. The donations can be a good example! :))))

Pilot's picture
Pilot 28 December, 2015 - 20:07

Cristmas is not mean new year. Some people don't understand this topic. I don't celebrate Christmas just new year. All new years night i wish something to god. And I swear my self for become better old year. And what i like. Give present Christmas or new year. It makes people happy and we also give presents ours friends:)

Silvermist's picture
Silvermist 28 December, 2015 - 10:23

I don/t celebrate Christmas but the Christians do it most joyously in Sri Lanka. The best thing for me in my case is that all shopping centers give vast discounts and the best part is when you get invited to a Christmas party and get presents. This year's end I got a book called "stardust" by Neil Gaiman and It was marvelous and wonderfully Brilliant! well, that leaves me to be beautifully grateful to Christmas.
Merry Christmas everyone!

LewisG's picture
LewisG 8 January, 2016 - 17:18

I'm happy that you enjoyed your book and also that you are able to take advantage of some good deals during the Boxing Day (or Week) sales! We should remember that, whilst it's exciting to receive gifts, the true importance lies in the act of giving gifts rather than receiving.

Ken 23 December, 2015 - 02:35

What does Christmas mean to me? -That's a good question! I think Christmas is becoming a big commercialized event nowadays. I like that festive atmosphere in the town but it seems to be a bit hollow. The other day, I saw huge fir trees being lighted up in the premises of a church. Normally, they are just trees which disappear from my sight when it gets dark. However, at this time, they made me look up and notice their beings, lightening up a dark place silently. Wow…. somehow I felt ashamed of my own little (narrow-minded) world. The lights were never be razzle-dazzle but bring us comfort and warmth. I simply thought that I want to be like such a fir tree…
So, Christmas is a perfect time for me to reflect on myself this year before making a New Year's resolution!

Silvermist's picture
Silvermist 28 December, 2015 - 10:25

True that christmas is a high advantage for commercialization. It is not just christmas, but many other festivals. sometimes I really do wish it would be completely traditional. Tradition always brings an air of fun. maybe not always but it does.....................

LewisG's picture
LewisG 8 January, 2016 - 17:22

I completely agree. Thinking of Christmas as a time for family, friends, and giving, Christmas gifts needn't be expensive, or even material at all. Recycled and hand-made items created with some thought and consideration for the receiver can mean just as much, if not far more, than an item blindly bought. My point is that we mustn't be materialistic and feed the commercialisation you rightly speak of. For those with little to give, love, forgiveness, and compassion are valued gifts for all.

iva10 17 December, 2015 - 15:21

It means the arrivall of a new New Year,a better one with some goals that we decided to make to change something,to do better than last year and to change something about our selves.That we are do our best this new Year and to accomplish our main goals,to change something if we don`t like,try something new,change our personality. And what i think the most important to be a better person,to care about other people,to forgive,help someone if he needs it and to be happy and positive about that what is awaiting us.

LewisG's picture
LewisG 17 December, 2015 - 16:56

That's a very positive attitude! When we make ourselves goals for the New Year it's called a New Year's 'resolution'. For example, next year I want to be more active outdoors and to say 'yes' to as many new opportunities as possible! Do you have a specific New Year's resolution?

iva10 21 December, 2015 - 19:36

Well yes I have, my New Year 's resolution is to be more social and to meet new friends. My sister always says that I spend too much time on internet and that I 'm like a vampire, because i don't like to go out when it's too much sunny. And I don't hang up with people too much.Where are you from if I can ask?

mariakatosvich's picture
mariakatosvich 23 January, 2016 - 13:42

This year's end I got a book called "stardust" by Neil Gaiman and It was marvelous and wonderfully Brilliant! well, that leaves me to be beautifully grateful to Christmas.
Merry Christmas everyone!

Ken 23 December, 2015 - 02:50

Ha ha, you seem to be funny, iva10, but your resolution sounds great. You know, The Vampire Diaries are popular and it wouldn't be so bad for you, but Christmas is not good for a vampire...! What are you going to do, iva?? Would you ask Santa to become a zombie instead??
☭(;´༎ຶД༎ຶ`)☭

iva10 23 December, 2015 - 19:56

That's not funny I really don't like to go outside when it's too sunny and I get tired easy. But I'm used to people telling me that I'm weird so I'm not surprised that it happened on the internet too. I know that I'm weird but i just get nervous around people especially boys, because I keep thinking if I said something right, afraid if they will laugh at me. I know it's funny, but it isn't easy to talk to people.

gianggiang 27 December, 2015 - 13:32

hi Iva
In Vietnamese dictionaries, "weird " means " very unusual' " very strange" but for Vietnamese teenagers , the concept " weird " carries meaning are" so cute', "so cool" and " brilliant" If someone said that you were " weird", this mean you are very excellent and they envy you :) You are so cute, Iva : )

Ken 24 December, 2015 - 03:55

Hi iva,
sorry, I said 'funny' because your ideas are so entertaining and creative that a beam spreads over my face! That's what I mean :)
Wow…it seems to me that you and I have precisely opposite personalities!? I like going outside on a brilliant sunny day; I get tired easily at night; I rarely get nervous around people; I don't mind too much being laughed at what I say and it's relatively easy to talk to people. But the common point between you and I is that "I'm used to people telling me that I'm weird" …!! So, the question is… are we opposite or the same breed??

Actually, I'm happy to hear people say I'm weird. Because I know many 'weird' classmates who are definitely weirder than I, but they're so cool and beyond anyone's mock. By the way, iva, what do you want to be in the future? If you want to be a clerk, you don't have to be weird, but otherwise, being weird with a good personality would give us a decisive advantage!
d(>_< )Good!!

iva10 24 December, 2015 - 15:33

No I didn't mean to say that you said that. I hope you're not mad at me, and yes i think we have the opposite personality but that's good My dream is to be a writter and a English teacher when I grow up. What do you want to be?

Ken 6 January, 2016 - 04:38

Wow, how ambitious you are, iva10!
Me? I want to be a lorry driver. It's cool, isn't it?
ε=ε=ε=ε=ヽ(* ̄∇ ̄)ノ

JoEditor's picture
JoEditor 23 December, 2015 - 20:29

Hi iva10,
I don't think anybody was calling you weird. Please don't worry - for a lot of teenagers it's difficult to talk to new people. 
With best wishes, Jo (LearnEnglish Teens Team)