The City of Angels

SabrinaG

Bangkok is known as the City of Angels; after travelling there I can see how fitting this name is for their way of life. The city is covered with skyscrapers reaching up to the heavens and the only possible way to get around the city is by sky train. Trying to travel on ground level is almost a death wish; unfortunately I discovered this the hard way.

When I arrived in Bangkok I was instantly drawn to the famous tuk tuks, which were brightly coloured, motorised rickshaws. However I quickly discovered they were not for the faint-hearted. The only time I travelled by tuk tuk in Bangkok the driver decided he had better things to do than to waste time waiting in traffic. Instead he drove onto the other side of the road in order to overtake the traffic. I held on for my life as we swerved around the oncoming cars in a rickety tuk tuk with no sides! It seemed more like a rollercoaster ride than anything else!

After ruling out tuk tuk as a way of getting round the city I attempted travelling by taxi. However rush-hour in Bangkok seemed to last the whole day!  The traffic was at stand-still for miles so the journey took forever and cost an absolute fortune!

I realised my safest option was to return to the old-fashioned way of walking. Yet even this had its downfalls. I had to weave between pedestrians, beggars and street sellers whilst inhaling the constant car fumes. Little did I know, motorcyclists used the pavement as a way of avoiding traffic jams. As well as weaving through the human traffic, I had to listen out for oncoming motorbikes and dart out of the way as they rushed past.

My saviour finally came in the form of the sky train, which was simple to navigate and got you from place to place with ease. It was a complete transformation from the mayhem of street-level Bangkok to the City of Angels. 

What's the best way to get around your town or city? If you've visited Bangkok, do you agree with Sabrina? Why or why not?

Sophie66's picture
Sophie66 17 April, 2020 - 04:08

I have never been to bangkok but it’s sounds really amazing.
The best way to get around my town are take a walk or by bus.
I agree with Sabrina, traveling by sky train seems simpler.

1 user has voted.
Dzseni17's picture
Dzseni17 16 April, 2020 - 20:55

I've read this post because of my teacher gave a task for me. I live in a little village so the simple way to get from A to B is on my own feet. There are one market, a medical station and a library. But I spend most of my time in Kaposvár. It's a city so there are more mode of transport. I usually use the bus transport to go to the city, but there I almost always walking everywhere because there are no long distances. It can be said everything is in one place. Sometimes if I had a hard suitcase I call a taxi for myself. But sadly it's really expensive. I've never be in Bangkok, but after I read this I would visit this city with pleasure.

1 user has voted.
Keva17's picture
Keva17 16 April, 2020 - 17:38

Hi Sabrina. I live in Kaposvár. This is a medium city in Hungary. We have a lots of travel possibility. The student usually use bus, but some use bicycle,skateboard,roller or simply walking. And who has driver license, they always go by car. I've never been in Bangkok, but i agree with you. You use the sky train. That's sound good.

1 user has voted.
sajtospufi's picture
sajtospufi 16 April, 2020 - 17:34

Walking is the best way to get around my city because I live in a small city where lives about 2,500 people. So It's just a few streets and everyone knows everyone. And of course there is not as much sight here as in Bangkok.
An interesting thing is that there are as many people living in Bangkok as there are in my country. I live in a small European country.
I agree with Sabrina, because traveling by tuk tuk is a waste of time and tiring as well. If you are coriuos and you want to see every detail in Bangkok, for example monuments on the street, Thai shops, street foods or people's daily life then the best solution for you is walking I guess.
Bangkok is huge and amazing so I would never miss the travelling by sky trains too.

1 user has voted.
jazmin11F's picture
jazmin11F 16 April, 2020 - 12:40

I like your post about Bangkok. <3 In my opinion the best way to get know my little village is to walk, because you can see everything. I live in a village isn't far from Kaposvár in Hungary. I haven't been to Bangkok yet, but one day I want to go this city. I think one of the best thing is travelling to different countries, because you can get to know the lives of those who live there. :)

1 user has voted.
Martinusz's picture
Martinusz 16 April, 2020 - 09:45

I live in a small city so I don't really have a problem with the traffic. Also if the car is not avaible I can take the bus or just walk. I haven't been to Bangkok, so I can't really argue what you said.

1 user has voted.
AndG11F's picture
AndG11F 16 April, 2020 - 08:45

I think the best way to get around my city is you go on your foot. Because Kaposswar is a small city, there are a lot of things nearby, such as shops and schools. So you don't have to travel a long time and you can use side streets to make the journey shorter. I haven't been in Bangkok yet, but I agree with Sabrina based on what she said, because traveling by sky train seems simpler and more safer, while the other way to travel seems stressful and messy.

1 user has voted.
GalDorina's picture
GalDorina 16 April, 2020 - 08:40

Dear Sabrina,
I have just read your post, I liked it so much. I have never been in Bangkok, my home is a little village in Somogy county in Hungary. You can get around by bike. I would like to go to Bangkok or somewhere else to gain experiance about big countries in the world. I hope I can go to your country and it would be great to meet with you.

Dorina

1 user has voted.
Alia09's picture
Alia09 14 December, 2016 - 09:41

I was drawn to read this article because of my teacher. Little did i know that i would like it that much. It was an anormous surprise for me. In my town there are also really big, stand-still trafficks but i think that being a part of them is not such a death wish as it is in Bangkok. Despite that i would like to go there even just to weave in this kind of city life which i have never experienced.

RlyFastAndStronkBrib's picture
RlyFastAndStronkBrib 14 December, 2016 - 09:30

The best way to travel around my city (that would be Lublin) is to take a bus. Here, taking a taxi on the busy days is almost a death wish; traffic is horrible, especially in the main parts of the city. During the summer, it's reasonable to take a bike (we have public bikes nearly everywhere and you can easily rent them) and enjoy travelling around at ease, and in fresh air.

leonka's picture
leonka 14 December, 2016 - 09:28

I have never been to Bangkok but I think I will go there next summer! :) I am from Poland so sorry for my simple English. We don't have tuk tuks but we have trains. We have traffic lights like in Bangkok so in spring and in summer we can use bikes to travel in our city and swerve all the cars.

gosiullaa's picture
gosiullaa 14 December, 2016 - 09:26

The best way to get around my city is by bus but even this has its downfalls. Right now the traffics are at stand-still because of road works and it is hard to get to work or school on time. In summer we can use our city bikes to travell around the city. It is the fastes way possible for everyone.

pitulka's picture
pitulka 14 December, 2016 - 09:23

I live in Warsaw. I used to travel by tram it's obviously less dangerous than tuk tuk and i don't have to held on for my life.

Bosnianchild's picture
Bosnianchild 15 September, 2013 - 15:16

The best way to get around my town are: take a nice, slowly walk and talk to some local people who are very kind to foreigners, spend a couple of hours in some street cafes or visit Culture center. I have never visited Bangkok, but I would see that city.

learningenglish282's picture
learningenglish282 23 August, 2013 - 13:36

the best way to get around my city is driving a motorcycle. Many streets in my city are quite narrow that a car can not go through easily and with our population, owning a car is not a good choice. It will cause more traffic jam.
I have never been to Bangkok though my country is its neighbor. :))

hayaalhams's picture
hayaalhams 9 June, 2013 - 09:50

i didin't travel to bangkok in my life ... but i think it is a really intresting city ... i always make a search about bangkok pictures ... i really ant to travel to bangkok

260214DFTBA's picture
260214DFTBA 24 March, 2013 - 16:53

It seems to be a Gorgeous city!! I really would like to visit Bangkok and those sky trains sounds quite good!!! :-)

lekjana-ana's picture
lekjana-ana 18 February, 2013 - 13:59

the best way it on feet because is more funny ........ i don't live in bangkok because is very crowd

Ilda G's picture
Ilda G 26 January, 2013 - 08:00

The best way of getting around in my city is travelling by your own car,that way you can go wherever you want...

REDREDRED's picture
REDREDRED 20 January, 2013 - 13:16

In my town,the best way to get around is bus.Because we don't have a heavy traffic on the road. And I've never been in Bangkok, but I've read about it and I think that Sabrina is right.

Lavender 16 April, 2013 - 19:37

I don't love buses but I chose them every time I want to around the city. Traveling by buses is the cheapest way to avoid the dirty air outside.

AnnaSwiftie's picture
AnnaSwiftie 18 January, 2013 - 21:12

Wow !!! It's amazing !!! ^_^ I'm really starting to love Bangkok :)) It's really city of angels !!