Coping with exam stress

97
Bethan Morgan

It has suddenly hit me that this year I will sit my last ever exams. I don’t know if that has helped with the stress, or just made it worse.

I have always struggled with the stress of exams, and the horrible nervousness that happens on the day itself. Even if I have revised as much as possible, my nerves still take over. And I know I’m not the only one. So I’ve made a list of a few of my personal tips for dealing with exam stress.

1. Keep calm and drink tea.

Or coffee. Or water. Or whatever it is you like to drink. It provides a quick break, so you can just stop for a second while the kettle is boiling and think about something different for a couple of minutes. Although perhaps I should cut down on the amount of tea I make, otherwise my whole day will be one big revision break!

2. Socialise!

I find that it’s really easy to shut yourself away for hours on end, going over your notes by yourself and not see anyone all day. That’s fine for a short amount of time, especially if that’s how you revise best, but I think it’s equally as important to make sure you spend time with other people too, whether you revise together or simply meet up for a chat. I’ve realised this year that when we all graduate, it is unlikely that we will see each other much, so I’m definitely making the most of seeing as many friends as possible now!

3. Exercise.

As I said in my last article, I love running. I find that it makes a perfect revision break because you can focus on something else for an hour or so. You can listen to some great music or even socialise, if you prefer exercising with someone else. You get to spend time outside in the fresh air, which helps your brain recover from all those hours of studying. Plus, it’s good for you, which is always a bonus!

4. Sharing is caring.

Sometimes it helps to get together with other people taking the same exams as you to share ideas and talk things over, especially if there is a certain aspect you are struggling with. You can make sure that you understand everything properly, as well as picking up new ideas that maybe you hadn’t thought of before. And it means you get to spend extra time with your friends, too!

Everyone has their own ways of coping with exam time, or maybe you don’t suffer from stress (in which case I am very jealous!). I’ll definitely be sticking to the tips above this year, and perhaps you could share your advice with us all too. If any of you are sitting exams this year, I wish you the best of luck! 

Do you have any tips to add to this list? What do you like to do during your exam time?

initiate's picture
initiate 3 January, 2016 - 16:27

It sounds laughable i know but i tear paper before the exams. I don't know why but it reduces my stress :) you can try

raw's picture
raw 4 September, 2015 - 19:21

well taking deep breath may seems stupid but it really workes i always do it before having tests clearing your mind by miditation will defently take all the stress away try it and belive me it will help

Ganesdita's picture
Ganesdita 11 June, 2014 - 07:40

well, I just having stress today. the chemistry and physic are very difficult. Tomorrow will be english day! So, I think those are really helpful tips for me to do the exam more relax..

JoEditor's picture
JoEditor 19 December, 2013 - 08:13

Hi moodymody,
At the moment our users can't write whole articles on the site, but this is something we are planning for the future. :)
Best wishes, Jo (LearnEnglish Teens Team) 

Anastasija6's picture
Anastasija6 30 October, 2013 - 16:54

I had problems with exam stress. But I know that We shouldn't be nervous. If We are nervous It can be only worse. So I always eat chocolate before exam and I feel better. I don't know why :) ... And by the way this advices are very good. Thank you. :))

Joanna's picture
Joanna 20 October, 2013 - 13:58

Keep calm and drink tea? :)) That is truly funny, but helpful. Actually... the tips are useful, but I believe the most important thing is seriousness!

June's picture
June 19 October, 2013 - 15:56

I finished my high school entrance exam 4 months ago and now I'm officially a student of High school for the gifted. However, I was not happy at all. I thought I could have done better. But now, I realise that it's not important anymore. I worked hard and I should be proud of it. Therefore, my advice for you is that you should believe in yourself, no matter how the result will be, you deserve what you're supposed to have.

Jonathan - Coor... 20 October, 2013 - 02:59

Congratulations on your good results :) You did really well. I agree that you should be proud of what you have achieved! It's always possible to do better but if you tried your best and gave 100%, I think you can be proud of it. Well done!

Lejdi's picture
Lejdi 12 October, 2013 - 20:30

We should also try to watch inspirational videos which tells us to never give up of our dreams for the future.

Teen1211's picture
Teen1211 9 September, 2013 - 17:45

Well, after I study alone the day before the exam, I love to share my knowledge with my classmates, they listen to me carefully and if I am wrong, they let me know, it is very useful because when the exam's time begins to run, you have just repeated what is going to be on the exam. but if you didn't revise, it would be better you to ask someone reliable about the exam that you are going to take, the main idea about my tip it's not to memorize what you are saying , its to make your classmates understand.

AHMED_K's picture
AHMED_K 16 July, 2013 - 22:37

i have another way to deal with stress and make my mind clear for exams. i always go to pray in mosque at exams night. we have five prayers a day so i take them as a kind of breaks. i go by foot so i can move and see what is going on outside and i usually go with a friend so i can have a little chat. finally when i arrive to the mosque and start to pray i make my mind clear so i feel refreshed and i can study without any stress and go to exam with confidence

Hasmik's picture
Hasmik 26 June, 2013 - 14:59

oh..thanks everyone who wants to help to relaxs before exams.You know,even for skillful teachers they are very stressful! Best wishes to everyone..

kan kaz's picture
kan kaz 23 June, 2013 - 11:06

I have followed half of the advices. they actually help me in my exams. my mom is psychologist, she have helped me alot <3 <3

hayaalhams's picture
hayaalhams 11 June, 2013 - 09:03

i can't study with my friends if we study together ..i think we will not study ... we will talk & talk .. i like to study on my own ... and i like to drink some of tea or nescafe ..

nadja's picture
nadja 9 June, 2013 - 20:27

Ok, in my country at the end of primary school, you need to take a test which shows your knowledge and by that test you enroll into high school. Everyone finds that test very stressful and I do too. I am having that kind of a test in about 10 days or so and I'm really nervous and under a lot of pressure already. I deal with the stress by doing lots of exercise. It helps me get my mind of things and it's something like my freedom. I also compete in a few sports so that means exercise every day for at least 2 hours and that's great for me. What also helps me is listening to music, it calms me down. Also I don't really like to talk about the exam before nor after I've finished it. It makes me even more nervous. :-)

JoEditor's picture
JoEditor 4 June, 2013 - 10:34

Hi ellen,
I deleted just one of your comments and I sent you a message by email to explain why. Did you receive my message? Please use the Contact Us button at the bottom of the page and send us a message so we are in contact. OK?
Best wishes, Jo (LearnEnglish Teens Editor)

JoEditor's picture
JoEditor 4 June, 2013 - 10:34

Hi ellen,

Stela.M's picture
Stela.M 27 May, 2013 - 15:39

hey ellen..................i told ya....i was really angry that day..my brother was hurt....i had broken my leg.....and lots of other bad things had happened...however.....i hope you didn't feel angry just like me...you know? it was th WORST day of my life

Yaska's picture
Yaska 28 May, 2013 - 06:03

Ellen and stela, you are both good friends who take care of friendship. I like the way you practise. Could i be one of your friends?

Stela.M's picture
Stela.M 28 May, 2013 - 17:28

hi yaska.....of course you can be one of our friends........i'm from albania while ellen is from azerbaijan ....we are both 15 years old ......can you tell me more about yourself if it is not hard for you? love your new friend stela

Yaska's picture
Yaska 30 May, 2013 - 05:30

Thnks Stela for telling me more about you. I 'm from Africa specially Somalia the horn of Africa. I am 20 years old. At the moment, i live in Kenya. I hope we shall be good reliable friends.

Jonathan - Coor... 30 May, 2013 - 06:32

Hi yaska. LearnEnglish Teens is a special place for teenagers aged 13-17. You are welcome to keep on using this website, but I have to ask you not to post any more comments here. You are welcome to join our LearnEnglish page for adults and post comments there.
With best wishes,

Lavender 30 May, 2013 - 14:20

Hi Jonathan, posting comments on the site for adults is a bit boring, I think. Because we can not earn points there. You know, the points are important, they encourage us to comment more and more. And I think if our comment is voted, we should be given 1 point for it! That will motivate the members to post meaningful/interesting comments!
It's my opinion :)

Lavender 1 June, 2013 - 14:52

Your comment is one of them Natalijia. You visit this site a lot, and your English is so good!!!

Jonathan - Coor... 31 May, 2013 - 06:34

Hi Lavender! Thanks, it's good to know that collecting points is motivating. I especially like reading everyone's comments and voting for the ones I liked. Do you vote for other people's comments too?

Lavender 31 May, 2013 - 09:43

Of course. I often vote for the comments I like or they have the useful information :)

Stela.M's picture
Stela.M 25 May, 2013 - 19:37

hi ellen....sorry for my answer......that day i was really angry...but i hope i will answer you in the future.greetings from albania

Anna_tagi's picture
Anna_tagi 22 May, 2013 - 14:08

oh, I even don't know wheather i feel nervous about exams. I get used to prepare for them as hard as possible and start do it in advance - hate do something serious at the last moment. That's really nervous))))
But when I revise I spend almost every time. I don't almost take a break. It looks like fanatism and it's harmful for me and for my health. But the fear to loose time makes me worried. So sometimes I just wait for finishing. I feel a bit nervous(even more tired than nervous) at the exams but I as June talk to myself: "I studied as hard as possible. I've done as much as possible". And it works:)

Yaska's picture
Yaska 23 May, 2013 - 04:30

Oh! I see most of got worried during exams. My friends the more you read the more you learn, if you read alot definately you will highly pass without doubt. If you are student plz have friends who are cleaver thn you, revise with them, be one of them. Its said," Mony hands make work easier". So to be among some good friends you will have moral to go on learning. Learning is always hard, so never give up.

Yaska's picture
Yaska 20 May, 2013 - 19:15

How are you? I hope you are all fine. Thnk to God, who enabled me to join you. I really fond of the way tht everybody presented his/her conceltation. I got there many adage and advice. I am very proud of you.

Alishka's picture
Alishka 20 May, 2013 - 18:18

I like talking to my best friend during exam time it soothes me. I also like to eat sweet things so I do not worry about my mark. I can give only one advice, but it is very good and right. You shouldn't be scared about your exam, you should keep calm and carry on!

lami narita's picture
lami narita 20 May, 2013 - 16:17

first i want to tell everybody good luck in u'r exams because i finshed mine and i have one thing to say is to Trust yourself and tell u'r self "i revised so there is no problom to be afraid i'm better than anyone There is nothing difficult yes i can do it " i hope it will help u and thx ;)

Flo Gert's picture
Flo Gert 19 May, 2013 - 09:21

the best thing to relieve stress is having a small picnic, maybe for an hour or two. this always helps me to feel unstressed. hanging out with my friends and playing pool is another thing i like to do when i am bored. i hope my opinoin will help anyone here... much love to all :DD