Counting down the days ...

4
EmilyW

Many people, myself included, find it very difficult to live in the moment: that is, to appreciate the present and never look backwards or forwards. For me, it feels like there is so much to look forward to that wishing that time would pass faster becomes a terrible habit.

I was so excited to start my year abroad in October that I spent the whole summer counting down the days until I could move to France. But once I arrived, qlthough I loved it, I couldn't wait until the Christmas holidays. At home in December, I was looking forward to going back so much that the countdown began again! Now I'm left with only seven weeks left in this wonderful country, but I'm caught in a dilemma. On one hand, I can't wait for summer – no more work, lots of sun, and a holiday with my best friends. However, on the other hand, I don't want my time in France to come to an end!

I have realised that I spend a lot of time looking ahead to what's coming next in my life. I can admit that this may sometimes stop me from living in the present. If you're always more excited about the future than the present, it is almost impossible to properly enjoy or appreciate your every day life.

Looking back on my time in France, I wish it had gone even slower than it has. I do feel like I've made the most of my six months here, but I did spend a lot of time counting down. Whether it was wishing the weekend would come faster when I was having a boring day at school, wanting January to disappear because I was too cold, or wishing a few weeks away because I wanted my boyfriend to come and visit me sooner, I spent a lot of time looking at the future, not the present. Now I'm actually dreading going back to university: I won't be getting paid anymore, I won't have as much free time, and I'll have to start thinking about essays and presentations again.

I wish I could slow down the time I have left here, but as I know that is impossible, I have instead resolved to make the most of the time I have left here and enjoy every day. Whether I wish for the time to go faster or slower, nothing will change, so I might as well stop worrying about how long I have left and enjoy it! That way, when I look back on my year abroad I will never feel like I wasted time by counting down until the summer.

Do you spend your time living in the future or the present?

patchyplum's picture
patchyplum 16 August, 2015 - 15:46

well i feel that too for i simply feel that i'm living in the future and half of the time past-well school days.whenever i have a wash i am stuck to the habit of recalling things funny and otherwise within day and surprisngly some go back to years ago..i love living in the future and sometimes can't help talking to myself about how things should be and should have been(no matter my friends know i'm insane)...coz wherever i live i never live in the present though i manage to do my work nicely...lol

I think that we should live our life every day thinking as it's the last day of our life! From the Last day I mean that every day should be colorful and full of life! Well if you'll read Helen Keller's
''Three Days To See" you will come to know that how to live life and how important it is! There are many who can't live their lives as we can live like blind, dumb, or deaf people or people with serious problems or limbs disorders! Well taking about myself! I can't say that I always live in the present! sometimes i think of the future when I'll be a doctor , wearing a white coat having stethoscope and checking the patients, having money and then I start making castles in the air! (hahahaha) It's funny! Well! coming to the point I think that it's useless to live in the future as well as thinking of your past! because if you'll keep thinking of the happy future and do nothing in the present then you'll surely not be successful and if you'll start thinking of the bad past and do nothing just repenting and crying over the spilt milk then surely again you'll be fail! so, we should live in the present , work hard and make our future better or even best. Just to do is to stop thinking of the lost opportunities and get ready for the upcoming chances and surely success is your! Well! I mostly live in present and work hard and as always success and attainment are upshot!

Rax's picture
Rax 16 March, 2015 - 09:05

This is so related to my situation because I am obviously caught in a dilemma, whether to go home and spend the rest of my life with my family or to stay in Thailand and continue my job. There were days when I really wanted to fast forward the days, so I can go home but now that I only have few weeks left, it feels like I want to stay longer here. However, as EmilyW said in her post, I will make sure to enjoy my life here everyday, that is, to make the most of my daily life here in Thailand until I go back to my country.

m@tini's picture
m@tini 14 March, 2015 - 10:44

Personally, I don't believe that I spend my time living in the future. I enjoy every day and I don't worry about my future plans. I only look forward to big events such as parties and summer camps. Generally, I don't wish that time would pass faster and I enjoy the present.