Cream tea, don’t mind if I do!

27
AnneS

One of my favourite treats from the UK is a cream tea. It’s not, as its name might suggest, tea with cream in it! It is a sort of English snack which is made up of a few essential things:

Scones
These are something between cake and bread; they are round and usually about the size of a tennis ball. You can choose to have plain scones or fruit scones; this just means that there will be raisins or similar dried fruit in the scone.

Clotted cream
An extremely thick cream which is very bad for you but tastes very nice!

Jam
The classic cream tea is served with strawberry jam, but other jams such as raspberry, black current, blueberry, red current or blackberry could be a good substitute.

Tea
All of this bready creamy jammy goodness is washed down with a cup or two of English black tea. This is normally taken with milk and can be taken with sugar. A proper Cream Tea is served with tea in a teapot with cups and saucers (in my professional opinion!)

The cream tea is traditionally a specialty of Cornwall and Devon, but cream teas are served in tea rooms up and down the country. I had a cream tea with some friends before leaving the UK and some controversy arose over the order of spreading. Personally, I have always split the scone in two halves, then spread on a thick layer of clotted cream on each half, then added a blob of jam on the top. However, my friend has always split the scone in two, buttered each half, spread jam on the scones and then added the cream. We were both convinced the other one was wrong, but after some research I have discovered we simply have different ‘cream tea methods’. It transpires that my method is from Devon and hers is the way they do it in Cornwall.

There is no specific time to have a cream tea, but it is usually an afternoon snack. The only thing I would say is that tea rooms tend to close at about 4 o’clock pm, so make sure you’re not too late! For me, there is nothing more English than a cream tea and I would advise any one visiting the country to try it out for themselves!

Would you like to try a cream tea? 

Ken 22 May, 2015 - 21:23

Hmm, sounds delicious! Well, my mom often tells me "What you eat is what you are".... I want to try it someday!

Jonathan - Coor... 23 May, 2015 - 11:41

Hi Ken. There's a similar saying in English: 'You are what you eat'. I'm not sure if I completely agree with that, though. What do you think?

Ken 23 May, 2015 - 12:21

Hi Jonathsn, that's what I mean. If I have a native thoughts, I agree with the saying: Our body and mind are made of what we take in in terms of nutrition. Do you agree?

Jonathan - Coor... 26 May, 2015 - 05:28

Hi Ken! Well, it's true that the food you eat is absorbed into your body, so it's much better to have nutritious food because it literally becomes part of you. I think though that it's quite difficult to eat healthily 100% of the time! I have junk food now and again, even though I generally eat healthy food. And many people have no control over their diet, whether that's because good food isn't available where they live or because their parents make the decisions about what the family eats. So I guess I agree with the meaning of 'You are what you eat' and I think it's definitely a good thing to encourage healthy eating habits, but I don't think the saying is applicable in all situations. What do you think, Ken?

Ken 27 May, 2015 - 04:57

Hi Jonathan, you're right and having considered all you've said, that's why 'You're what you eat' as things turned out! As for junk food, I think it's optional. My family don't have it and I don't neither, because I just don' feel happy after having such food. I think it won't be so difficult to avoid food that you think it unnecessary for your health. That's what I mean. What do you think, Jonathan?

AnneS's picture
AnneS 1 June, 2015 - 17:26

Hi Ken, you've made some interesting points, there. I think it's a good thing that you and your family don't often have junk food, as it is bad for your health and can be very addictive. If you have it too often, it's no longer a treat and can become a bad habit. But I suppose it depends what you consider 'junk food' to be. I wouldn't consider cream and scones junk food because that often has connotations of fast food (crisps, burgers, chips etc). But a cream tea certainly isn't something you should eat every day! What do you think? 

AnneS

Ken 4 June, 2015 - 06:32

Hi AnneS! As you say, I wouldn't consider creams and scones be junk food, neither! They will get angry if they know being lumped in with junk! Cream and scones have a hand-made feel and have a status on the menu. They are usually free from additives which junk food always fold. I'd rather have cream and scones than junk food...! :)

Looneytribute0002's picture
Looneytribute0002 22 May, 2015 - 15:05

Yep.. Sure. I never had those but I am craving from some right now. They look absolutely delicious and tempting :)

HannaMarin's picture
HannaMarin 23 April, 2015 - 14:13

Mmmm they look delicious! I think I'll persuade my mum to make them too, or maybe I'll try to do them. I have never eaten scones nor Clotted cream. What is it actually? In my countri we have a lot of different "creams" (whipping, sour, curd cheese, mascarpone), so I wonder if it's anything like these?

Tina - Coordinator's picture
Tina - Coordinator 24 April, 2015 - 07:57

Hi HannaMarin,
They are delicious :) Clotted cream is a thick type of cream and I think a little like mascapone but more lumpy and not as smooth.
Best wishes, Tina (LearnEnglish Teen Team)

HannaMarin's picture
HannaMarin 26 April, 2015 - 10:45

OK thanks.
It's good that I came on LearnEnglish Teens before I go to London today - so I'll actually try to buy the cream there. :)

Silvermist's picture
Silvermist 2 April, 2015 - 15:22

I love scones, but I have not tried the clotted cream one, It sounds delicious...........

AnneS's picture
AnneS 3 April, 2015 - 17:55

Hi Silvermist, good to know! In my opinion they are definitely bettwer with the clotted cream and jam (and tea)! If you try them, let me know what you think :-) Do you have any specialities from your country?

Silvermist's picture
Silvermist 4 April, 2015 - 05:15

Hi Anne S, Not really, because here in Sri Lanka we just follow up whatever they have in Britain. But lately by mum made some scones topped with preserves. It's not great as cream scones, but it is great to have it with tea. Well, April is a holiday for me and I think I 'll ask my mum to make some scones with clotted cream as a treat for my birthday- which is on April 14th!

AnneS's picture
AnneS 7 April, 2015 - 19:49

Hi Silvermist, that's great that your mum is a good cook- you're a lucky girl! What a great idea! That's interesting that you say you tend to follow British traditions in Sri Lanka. When I worked in Italy one of my colleagues was from Sri Lanka and he made us a curry once for dinner which was really tasty! 

And happy birthday in advance for next week! :-) 

AnneS's picture
AnneS 31 March, 2015 - 18:00

Hi hadia and Elsa007! They are delicious and go very well with tea! Have either of you tried them before?

Hi AnneS! No I haven't tried it...........My mom is expert in making delicious desserts just as this is but I have never tried it before. I'll try it with tea!

AnneS's picture
AnneS 3 April, 2015 - 17:52

Hi hadia, maybe you can persuade your mum to make some for you! Or better yet, maybe you could make them together. Let me know what you think if you do :-)

Hi AnneS!
Actually, I've persuaded her the day I read this and have eaten know! :) Ha Ha! Maybe I was a little faster but really it tastes yummy and delicious and Yes! we made it together along with my elder sister and we had a lot of fun!

AnneS's picture
AnneS 7 April, 2015 - 22:18

That's lovely hadia! I'm so glad to hear you liked them. I gather you were able to find clotted cream in your country?

Hi AnneS!
I didn't try the clotted cream one but i tried the scones i wish that i could try that one also!