The differences between British and German schools

3
TaylaBlogger

This year, I’ve been working in a German secondary school as an English language assistant. I settled in quite quickly but I noticed that some parts of the German education system are a little bit different from British schools. At first, these differences seemed quite strange to me! Here are the three main differences I’ve noticed between British and German secondary schools.

1. The early starts

In the UK, most pupils start school about 9 am. However, German schools start much earlier! My students have to be in their classes by 7.35 am. That means they have to wake up very early on school days! I imagine the early starts are very tiring. 

2. ‘Breakfast break’

Normally, British students eat their breakfast before coming to school. This doesn’t happen in Germany! German kids eat their breakfast after the first lesson of the day, during a special ‘breakfast break’. They usually have a yoghurt, some fruit and sandwiches. Yummy!

3. No uniform!

British pupils often wear stiff shirts and ties to school. However, German kids are allowed to wear their normal jeans and T-shirts. In my opinion, this is the coolest thing about German schools! I used to hate my school uniform – it was so ugly and uncomfortable!

As you can see, there are many differences between British and German schools. However, the two education systems are not completely different! After all, all pupils have to take tests, go to maths lessons and do their homework! Some things never change …

What's your school like? What time does school start for you? 

What are the rules at your school?

silverzee's picture
silverzee 26 June, 2017 - 15:28

In my country, most school starts about 7 am. And i have to wake up very very early.

SLMT's picture
SLMT 10 June, 2017 - 17:46

My school is like a old book. It starts at 8:30 am and ends at 2:30.In my country, education system is so poor.The teachers make all pupils think inside.They don't like critical thinking.They don't teach us how to think and how to solve problems.They give answers and students have to study by heart.If a student ask how this answer comes out,they scold that student and make sure he doesn't want to ask again them.They also don't teach all of the lessons too.The teachers teach outside school as tution.Even teachin tution is restricted,almost all of teachers teach tution.They only teach and care and favour the students who attend their tutions.This ugly teaching system has started since a decade ago.But last year ,election started and new government was elected.This year,government made new curriculum.I wish it would be great.Students around the world are looking forward to it.So do I.Crossing my hands ,I have to start to go to school tomorrow.