The disappearance of the love locks of Paris

38
ChloeF

As Audrey Hepburn once said “Paris is always a good idea”, and from having lived just outside this city the past year I must say I completely agree. Paris is a city of wealth and sophistication and is well known as being the most romantic city in the world. Tourists flock to the city to take photos in front of the Eiffel tower, picnic along the Seine, and shop on the Champs Elysees, amongst many other things.

Another thing that is hugely popular amongst tourists is to visit Le Pont des Arts and put a padlock on the bridge with their and their partners initials on, then throw the key into the Seine, which is meant to represent eternal love. How romantic! Well apparently not, as the bridge is struggling to cope with the weight of the locks, and so officials from the city have decided to remove them.

This decision has annoyed a lot of people, undoubtedly many tourists who come to Paris to put locks on the bridge. There are however several other bridges throughout the city which have started acquiring padlocks over the past few years, but it’s believed that these ‘lovelocks’ are to be removed as well; so it looks like the tourists won’t have much luck with the padlocks in the coming future!

According to locals, the padlocks are ugly and an eyesore to the city, but personally I don’t see it. I understand the need for the city to look after and protect the bridges, especially if they’re starting to collapse under the weight of the ‘lovelocks’, but how can anyone see them as anything but beautiful? For me, it’s what the padlocks symbolise; eternal love, and how they represent Paris as being one of the most romantic cities in the world.

A visit to Le Pont des Arts Bridge has become one of the most frequently visited attractions in the city. For me, the ‘lovelock’ bridge is like the Eiffel tower; you can’t imagine Paris without it. I just hope they keep the padlocks and do something with them, instead of just destroying them. 

What do you think about the love locks being removed from the bridge in Paris? Do people put love locks onto bridges where you live? What do you think Paris should do with all the love locks that they have removed? 

Elsa007 26 January, 2016 - 07:02

As time ticks away, I come to realize that love locks on the bridge count for a great deal.
Bridge is the place where one side meets another.
A bridge associates two people, two worlds and two views. People roam searching for such a bond.
As time ticks away, I come to realize that there's no bridge between my best friend and I.
We just wave hands having a telescope over a river, cuz we live on the unbridgeable abyss.
Now I think I know how 'they' feel……….!

gianggiang 28 January, 2016 - 17:49

Friendship is like a bridge, If two friends want to shorten the distance and meet each other on time, both of them have to move.However, in my opinion, if the first person stops, the second runs twice or three times faster than usual, they can meet on time ( or even sooner ). Sometimes, building a bridge to heal a friendship is not necessary because it always has an invisible rope between two friends. After having some argument or misunderstanding, true friends always think about each other and hesitate to become the first person saying sorry:)

As time ticks away, I come to realize that there is no brigde between my best friend and I because we don't need it. We just wave hand, smile,call our names and finally, we run as fast as we can to hold each other tight. We live on the unbridgeable abyss, but we live on one side and we don't intend to visit the other side :)

Hope you and your best friend are best ffriends forever :) Gift of a friend - Demi Lovato

Elsa007 5 February, 2016 - 07:59

Thank you Giang for your kind and encouraging words! ☆
In essence, what BFFs need is an invisible trust?
What would it be like?
Well, would it come true 'through thought vives〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜☆〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜?
Elsaツッ

ScattyLittleWarrior's picture
ScattyLittleWarrior 15 October, 2015 - 16:24

I don´t believe in love but I thought if nothing this was really cute. Unhappy paris removed that love locks, some people in love who gave them here must be really unhappy and angry, I will be too. It is really disgusting. Paris should have first ask people if they won´t bring these locks home on their own. I think many people will understand that.

Ken 24 August, 2015 - 02:18

Love...
Once it emerges, it's an ewigkeit that no one can deny.
They don't need to make a lock which seems to be ostensible and cheep...
A real one promises and natures a brilliant future for each one without anyone's approval.
Love..... is a living creature, so we have to take care of it cautiously!
✧( ु•⌄• )◞◟( •⌄• ू )✧

iva10 23 August, 2015 - 10:36

In our country we don't put locks on bridges.Well i don't know what France should about that but they will defenetly figure something.

frsd96's picture
frsd96 21 June, 2015 - 09:01

hey there guys.i liked ur ideas but i think it would be a nice move to build a place or make sth for people,mostly lovers.so they can lock their love there.and also can attract more lovers to Paris i believe.

poppymoore's picture
poppymoore 16 June, 2015 - 20:48

......And after the old locks have been made into a statue,the future couples can put hadia's love ribbons so that the bridge and their memoir both stay state :):P

poppymoore's picture
poppymoore 16 June, 2015 - 20:41

I think hadia's idea of love ribbons is just superb. Hats off! To you hadia. That's really intelligent. Although I know that it is necessary to remove the locks to save the bridge,I don't like them being removed. There must be soooo many feelings attached to those love locks and also a romantic story behind each. Isn't it?
It must have hurt those couples to know that the memoir of Their love is being removed. So it may sound stupid but I think the Paris authorities should combine all the locks by melting and make a big statue kind of thing of a lock and place somewhere in Paris for public display. I think this will make those love stories imortal as well as save the locks from becoming junk. This giant LOVE LOCK can add to the beauty of the most romantic city in the world. What do you think?

hadia 17 June, 2015 - 15:49

hey poppymoore! Thanks a lot for reading my comment and liking it! I really felt happy....Well yours idea of melting the locks and making statue kind of thing from these locks is superb too...... I really liked your idea! The feelings of many lovers are attached to it .............so they should simply make a Love fairy statue from it!............ it will represent their love to each other and in this way, as you said, the locks will even not be destroyed............... Superb idea, you gave them......! :)))

ChloeF's picture
ChloeF 17 June, 2015 - 11:17

Hi Poppymoore, I agree that Hadias idea for love ribbons is great! I also like you idea of melting the locks to create a big monument. What kind of statue/monument could you envisage them making?

poppymoore's picture
poppymoore 19 June, 2015 - 20:44

hey guys! thanks for liking my idea.I am not sure but I think the statue of a giant lock should be made so that it reminds everyone of the numerous locks that people had put there and you know it will look very different from other love statues so it will also become special.....and I think this will suite the scenery too!(Elsa007) Won't it?

hadia 20 June, 2015 - 19:07

Yes you're quite right Poppymoore! I liked your idea of building a giant lock.....It'll match the scenery too!

Elsa007 20 June, 2015 - 15:16

Locked Love statue in Paris.... Well not badツ! Do u want to visit there someday, Poppymoore??
You look like somewhat a daydreamer waiting for a night on a white horse..., dI you??

Elsa007 17 June, 2015 - 09:21

Oh..., giant LOVE LOCK....!! Hmmmmm, sounds like a statue of love memorial or a cenotaph......??? ‼️

Elsa007 17 June, 2015 - 09:11

Hi Poppymoore! I like your idea as well as hadia's! What a great idea! I just want to know what shape of the statue you have in mind?? Don't say a heart shape!! It won't match the scenery! What about a Cupid....., with ribbons and a bow??? What do you think?

hadia 18 June, 2015 - 15:00

Hmm...Elsa! you said quite right.....I liked your idea!! :)))))).....Well what about having a love fairy statue......

hadia 19 June, 2015 - 12:32

ha ha ha! Elsa.............Actually I have inner feeling inside my heart who feels for the lovers.......Ha ha ha ha!>>>>>> :)))))))))

agogoladze's picture
agogoladze 10 June, 2015 - 12:22

Even though I don't live in Paris,I think,that it's important the locks to be kept.Lots of tourists go there just for locks and it won't be nice if the government removes them.These Locks are something special to their owners.Although it's a bit exaggerated ,owners might be thinking,that their love depends on it.People need to realize that it's kind of attracting tourists there,too.Locks can't be removed.Government shout try hardening the bridge,then they can tell tourists to lock locks on other bridges and in the end everything'll be perfect.

hadia 6 June, 2015 - 19:26

Well.........wow how romantic it is to do such a thing!!!!!! You're right ChloeF it really represents true and eternal love which is pure! Hmm.............well it's too bad for those people ,especially the tourists who visit that place especially for their loved ones but I think that in my opinion there can be love ribbons instead of putting those locks so that they can neither harm the bridge nor the tourists and the lovers (of course)will be angry and annoyed and surely they wouldn't look so ugly rather they will look charming and attractive.........One can even imagine it like for example pink ribbon or red ribbon can be used and a small loop of it can be use to hang it on the bridge which can also symbolize love and this will not even look ugly! How's that????? I hope many of you would like my advice! Well it was a good article and I got much more to learn about .......................like obviously! about the cute love lock! ;D

Elsa007 8 June, 2015 - 05:52

Hi Hadia! What a romantic idea! I like it! Actually I had an impression that the lock evoked me to chubb a lover, but a ribbon doesn't have such a vulgar image! In fact, knotting represents a symbol of good fortunes including love to come in Asian culture! Someday I wish someone will find my love ribon! ツ

hadia 8 June, 2015 - 09:09

Hi Elsa007! Thanks,I'm happy that you liked my idea! Yes, It won't look ugly if we do so!!! Well I hope that someone may one day find your love ribbon but I pray that you could find out my friendship ribbon for you! ha ha ha! :P
Stay blessed....!

Elsa007 9 June, 2015 - 00:07

Ha ha ha ツ thank you Hadia! Then,..... Where is your friendship ribbon for me??
Aha....! It's under my very nose!! What color would it be like? Tell me, Hadia, please!?

hadia 9 June, 2015 - 09:25

Hmm.....it may be red! ha ha ha! well the ribbon is in my heart!........where's your??? i'm really very curious to know about yours!

Elsa007 9 June, 2015 - 14:51

Hi. lovely Hadia! ….Then, why don't we have a uniform ribbon in each heart so that I can see yours and vice versa?? What do you think?? A red ribbon would be cute for us!! ha ha ha! That's a great spirit of friendship, isn't it? ッ

Elsa007 3 June, 2015 - 23:09

Oh, sorry I missed a typo : I meant I had an impression that they were NOT in the picture of the romantic city!
Ha ha, rightly said! I think Lavender is saying good points! Could it be a 'true' love that they were pursuing?? ;-)

Lavender 3 June, 2015 - 15:10

I know it's a pity removing the love locks from the brigdes, which are very special to Paris. But as you can see, besides the danger that love locks' weight can make, there is a problem: couples throught the key directy into the river. The river full of old keys which are not easy to dissolve is bad for fish. I think they should stop this. And for the padlocks, just recycle them. People have many ways to express and promise love just don't bother the river.

hadia 6 June, 2015 - 19:41

Good point Lavender! It's very nice of a person to think about the protection of his/her environment ..............I must appreciate your comment!

Lavender 14 June, 2015 - 02:41

Thanks Hadia.
Most of the time we can't have it all. We have to choose what is the best for us.

hadia 14 June, 2015 - 09:53

You're welcome Lavender! Well, you're right......we have to chose the "just perfect" for us!

Elsa007 2 June, 2015 - 22:12

Well, as far as I saw a pile of keys and graffities, I had an impression of the keys being in beautiful in the picture of the romantic city... : /
I think it would be good that the officials make modernized but romantic alternative architecture to decorate the love charms since they are going forward to the future...!? ;-)