Diwali: a family celebration

Diwali is one of my favourite celebrations that my family take part in. Coming from a mixed heritage, my parents have always ensured that we celebrate both English and Indian festivals which not only means that we receive double the amount of presents but also feel a sense of belonging to both cultures. Diwali is also known as the festival of lights as it is traditional to light up your house with an impressive array of candles and small clay oil lamps to symbolise the triumph of good over evil. As a family we spend most of the day preparing the house by cleaning and decorating it before the evening party begins. The evening party is a welcomed excuse for family and friends to come together, enjoy a varied and plentiful selection of flavoursome Indian dishes and dance the night away. The house becomes a beacon of light and merriment full of laughter, music and fireworks that mark the celebration that usually falls between Halloween and Guy Fawkes Night.

It has always been important that everyone attends the celebration and for years I watched as relatives and family friends travelled from work, home and University to make sure they were home in time.  Now that I live away from home myself I have to pre-book my train to guarantee that I can make it home and don’t double book the important date. This hasn’t always been easy and during my first year of University I prided myself on never missing the connecting train between Leeds and London, until I missed it on Diwali. Due to a broken down bus I missed the train by five minutes and thought I would not be able to make it back to London in time to make the celebration that I had been looking forward to. After an hour of stress and hard negotiation I managed to get myself a place on the next train which meant that I could make it after all. From that day I made myself a promise that I would not ever come that close to letting my family down again, especially when the day is that meaningful. This coming October I am due to start my teaching assistantship in Sicily and my flight home for 3rd November is already booked, although this year that date holds a dual importance, not only is it Diwali but it is also my 21st Birthday!

Do you celebrate Diwali? Which festivals do you celebrate with your family? 

SLMT's picture
SLMT 23 October, 2017 - 19:25

Living in Myanmar,a multicultural country, there are alot of festivals to celebrate such as Diwali (Hidu),Eid (Muslims),Christmas (Christian) , Thindinkyut (Buddhist) .All of them are celebrated happily in Myanmar. Being a Buddhist,my family and I celebrate Thindinkyut Lighting Festival,a festival like Diwali. It’s also the time of family reunion.We decorate the house and street with small clay oil lamps,candles,colourful light bulbs and fireworks.Our Thindinkyut Lighting Festival is just like Diwali.The only difference between two of them is that Thindinkyut Lighting Festival is held on full moon day of October and Diwali is held on the darkest day of October or November.Thindinkyut Lighting Festival is one of my favorite festivals because I get a long period holiday and it’s time to meet all of my natives and get gift from them.

Jo - Coordinator's picture
Jo - Coordinator 25 October, 2017 - 10:38

Hi Meenakshy,

We don't allow users to copy other people's work on LearnEnglish Teens. Please don't ask people to help you do this. You're very welcome to use our site to find information for your essay. Please make sure you use quotation marks "..." and say where the information came from. I'm sure your teacher would be very impressed to see that and you would get a good mark.

Schools and universities take copying very seriously. It is easy for your teacher to see when it is not your work and the consequences can be very serious. Take the opportunity to try the task yourself, learn from it and feel proud that you have written it in your own words.

Good luck! Best wishes, Joanna

hadia 26 June, 2016 - 18:28

I don't celebrate Diwali. It's an Indian Festival :P Though, it seems really interesting! Well, I celebrate Ramadan and Eid :)

justcricketforme 6 February, 2014 - 11:34

I don't celebrate Diwali but have poeple in surrounding who do. I celebrate Eids and Ramadan

sweetlily's picture
sweetlily 15 November, 2013 - 06:27

I celebrate Diwali every year cleaning the house, making rangolis or alpanas, and painting the diyas are some of the things I enjoy the most. A week before Diwali our house is repainted and renovated. Mum and I buy new clothes and candles. On the day of Diwali candles are lighted everywhere in the house while lights are dim. My grandmother sends for us some delicious foods while even mummy prepares a feast.In the evening we host a party calling all our friends and relatives.On this day gods are worshiped and crackers are also burst.

WildChild's picture
WildChild 5 November, 2013 - 14:41

No, I don't celebrate Diwali. In my country, we celebrate Christmas, New Year and Easter (there's more but they are the most popular). :D

Nastiufka's picture
Nastiufka 2 November, 2013 - 09:09

I don't celebrate Diwali. I have never heard about this holiday before I read the text about its celebration, but I think it is very nice holiday. I with my family gather together on the New Year's holiday, Easter and Christmas.

Toma English's picture
Toma English 22 October, 2013 - 20:19

No I don't celebrate it , It's my first time that I read about it,
I celebrate with my family Ramadan and the 2 Eids :)

Natalija 5 October, 2013 - 13:06

I don't celebrate Diwali, but I heard of it. I think it's a very interesting celebration, and I definitely like Indian culture. I think it's awesome to belong to two cultures, and to celebrate their festivals and holidays.

Harabeli Supersweet 4 October, 2013 - 19:12

No, I don't celebrate Diwali. I didn't even know what it was until I read this article. We celebrate "The Summer Day" on March, 14 here in Albania. Different activities are organised during this special day. People are happy that flowers are blooming and sunny days are coming.