Don't count the days - make the days count!

22
Rachel Lewis

Will you live in a different country in the future? Spending time across the continents provides opportunities you may never have considered, whether it’s learning the history of Italy, living in a small community in Québec, or jumping out of a plane with only a parachute to keep you alive so that you can enjoy the views of the French Pyrenees. The saying “there is more than one way to skin a cat” is relevant, as everybody who travels will do so differently, and that’s the beauty of it.

The word “life” means uncertainty, exposure and change. Deciding to live somewhere new, with people you don’t know and in an area you may never have even visited before, is brave. The locals will stare at you and you will probably make a fool of yourself in public, but it is somehow just worth it. Why? After all, “strangers are just friends you haven’t met yet”.

Firstly, you get to experience a new culture. You’ll become familiar with a new currency. You’ll spend your weekends trying new things. You’ll work your way through what feels like a mountain of bureaucracy, in order to be officially resident in your new community. If you can keep a smile on your face, and open your imagination to your new environment, you will look back with fond memories for years to come.

What about experiencing an exotic summer, or a winter crammed with snow sports? Would you enjoy spotting new animals? No matter how large or small (or even isolated) your community is, you can be sure that it offers different experiences to your life at home, and where your friends and family are concerned, “absence makes the heart grow fonder”, right?

Of course, it’s hard to be any distance from home. It might be the first time the sea has separated you from your parents, and transport may not be easy. But globalisation is improving our planes, boats and buses, making a 2,000-mile journey not just possible, but positively easy. This will make your English (or any language) learning experience all the more comfortable.

Even better, what about your personal learning experience? Growing in independence, leading a varied life and having unlimited opportunities are worth more than words can really describe. You will go home feeling in tune with the real world, and “as free as a bird”.

Having fun and being happy is part of being human, as is having difficulty in accepting change. Whatever the experience, it’s definitely memorable, leaving you with new pastimes and a better understanding of what you like. What’s not to love?

Would you like to travel around the world? Which countries would you most like to visit and why?

sona's picture
sona 14 November, 2015 - 16:28

I'd like to travell around the world,because "Travell broadens the mind". I like to meet new people,to learn new culture and to experience something new. If I had the chance to travell,I would visit Barcelona,of course. Barcelona is an amazing city,famous for its beautiful beaches and latin culture,which I like the most. However,the most important thing that really makes me to visit Barcelona,is its football club. I dream of being in Camp Nou,meeting all Barcelona's players and taking photo with them.(I hope this dream will come true,as I think I'm not dreaming much...hahahah)

Margula's picture
Margula 24 September, 2015 - 18:18

I really would like to travel! My dream is a trip to Brasil or Spain, but I think, that countries like England, Italy, France, USA, Argentina and Peru are very interested, too!

ann_gemini's picture
ann_gemini 24 September, 2015 - 16:09

I always dream of going to the US. If given the chance, I think I will experience new environment, new people and new lifestyle there. I hope I can achieve my dream in the near future :)

sararosita's picture
sararosita 15 August, 2014 - 23:54

I really want to travel to another country espicially korea , in general this will give me the opportunity of knowing an other culture and a new language also the personality will be stronger because i will be independent and i will take the responsability this will be like an adventure in addition to this i will feel the importance of living in my own country with my familly and my friend consequently i will love it more

Aliceinthewonderland's picture
Aliceinthewonderland 26 January, 2017 - 10:46

Hi sararosita! Wow sounds like you haven't been to Korea before. Hope you have a chance :) from Alice ♡

lili's picture
lili 24 May, 2014 - 20:50

that was nice but i need to know about economic globalisation...... anyway what is written there is amaizing and a bit difficult to live a brand new country..... :) :p

Fatime143's picture
Fatime143 18 March, 2014 - 10:56

I would like to travel around the world.i would like to visit Turkish,England and Saudi Arabia.

dzeni 5 March, 2014 - 18:03

Yes, of course. It`s my dream. I would like to visit Hawaii. There is beautiful sea, amazing beaches and rich culture. Then I would visit Norway because I want to see northern lights and fjords. I want to visit France( my wish is to visit Paris), UK ( because of London), the USA, Brazil and other countries around world.

Oliii98's picture
Oliii98 2 November, 2013 - 22:10

I'd really like to travel somewhere, but im too young to go somewhere further alone. I really, but im not sure why, to see how it's like in Iceland. This island is really mysterious to me. It's growing on it's own making interesing shapes on ground, but only in middle of island. That why there are no people in middle of it. It must look really breathtaking.

justcricketforme 26 October, 2013 - 08:21

Yes I would like to. I'd visit the UK, France, Germany, Finland, Italy,Greece, Belgguim and Russia, my homeland! i like these places because they are historic and Belguim and Italy because of choclate and pizza! Also, I'd like to visit California and Florida and Dubai is also a nice place.

Just Era's picture
Just Era 30 March, 2013 - 10:23

I like travelling around the world... I would like to visit places like: Spain,Paris,Germany etc....

Natalija 23 March, 2013 - 13:35

Oh, I'd like to visit so many countries. I have traveled a lot so far, but I have a list of countries I'd like to visit. I'd firstly like to visit Abu Dhabi, because I like learning Arabic and I like that culture, so it would be splendid to get to know more about this lovely city and about people there.
Next on the list is Berlin. I've never been in Germany, but I think I'll go this summer and I can't wait. I'd like to learn German, because I love German literature, esp Goethe and I would be happy to see his house and to have the opportunity to have long walks in Germany.
Then, I'd like to visit Pakistan. I've heard from my friend, who has been there, that it has a splendid nature and she has the best impressions. I'd like to visit the whole Asia. I've already been in some countries, like India, Turkey and Israel, but I like this continent and I'd like to see all the countries.
I'd also like to visit Prague, which is going to happen in September. I'm looking forward to visit the "European Paris" and the University of Prague.
I really like traveling and I think it has a lot of benefits, but the biggest benefit is getting to know more about other places, cultures and people.

dona cenja's picture
dona cenja 8 March, 2013 - 09:51

I would like to travel around the word but the country that i love to visit is Spain

Blue sea's picture
Blue sea 16 August, 2012 - 21:18

Really,It's sort of change.I always get bored easily.Going out doors is exotic with your friends.I want to change my life.I want to be out of that box.It suffocates me sometimes.It's nice to enjoy a moment that you have been looking for.Simple words can mean a lot.
Nice article:)

m.tayyab's picture
m.tayyab 3 August, 2012 - 07:42

Yes it is true to stay outside from home country to other countries is very difficult and we have feels all the things new for the first time and we required some time to change oursleve according to the other country's culture.