The dos and don'ts of learning a new language

8
AmyA

People decide to learn another language for many different reasons. Some decide to learn another language because they would like to live in another country. Others decide to learn a language because of their job. Some people have to study a language at school and others might decide to learn a language just for fun! 

I’ve been learning French for just over two years. I decided to learn it because I wanted to learn something new and because I love French culture. Learning French has been a fun and exciting journey but it’s also been challenging. I’ve learnt a lot about the challenges faced whilst learning a new language and have put together some ‘dos’ and ‘don’ts’ to help advise other language learners.

DO …
enjoy it
Learning a new language can be a hard and repetitive process that requires a lot of motivation. Try different activities and to make your language learning as much fun as possible. Why not try watching your favourite TV series in that language or listening to music in that language?

write down your mistakes
A person correcting you is a good thing and it will help you improve. I like to write the mistakes that I make in a small pocket book. I also write new vocabulary that I’ve learnt too. 

DON’T ...
set unrealistic expectations
If you have recently started learning another language it may be unrealistic to expect to be fluent within a couple of months. Wanting to become fluent is a great goal, but be aware that it could take a while. The same thing goes for accents. It’s very difficult to have a native accent. The most important thing is that you’re clear and people can understand you. Take your time and celebrate the progress that you’ve made so far.

be scared
When I first started speaking French I wasn’t confident. I worried about my accent, pronunciation, grammar and didn’t make the most of speaking opportunities. Looking back it seems silly and now I’m more than happy to speak French. My advice is don’t be scared or overthink it, just be confident and speak.

Have you got any language learning tips? What do you like to do when you’re learning a new language?

nikaherlina's picture
nikaherlina 16 April, 2016 - 19:15

My language learning tips are : Believe in your self , you/i can do it , don't think *am i can ? Make your self became a confidence , and keep learning,spirit , dont forget for pray to the god :-)

ari0601's picture
ari0601 10 March, 2016 - 14:36

I'm studying English, German and Spanish!! I have a notebook where I do exercises, another one where I write rules and finally I have a telephone book where I write new words.

Naual's picture
Naual 1 February, 2016 - 23:25

My language learning tips are : listening, reading, trying or practicing even you make mistakes, and finally trust on ur self and what you are doing.

BigBen6464's picture
BigBen6464 28 January, 2016 - 15:05

You CAN do anything you want to if do your best and never give up. You CAN'T do anythong you want to if you don't do hard. I like to say: Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.

Muslimgirl65's picture
Muslimgirl65 27 January, 2016 - 11:02

My language learning tips are: wish, make plan, give time and effort but most important tip is ''believe'' :)