Drop everything and go!

7
NaomiK

Last week my friend phoned me and we randomly decided to go on a spontaneous trip to Germany. I left home with no sleeping bag, no towel, about €50 in cash and no travel plans for the way home. It was going to be an adventure!

I took a Bla Bla Car from my town to Paris. I was initially very nervous about traveling with strangers, worrying that they were going to kidnap me and I would never make it to Paris alive. Fortunately, they were absolutely lovely and had even baked cookies for the journey! (But I would still advise being very careful if you are going to travel this way). When I arrived in Paris, after getting a bit lost, I eventually found my friend and we were ready to roll! We boarded the train to Heidelberg, Germany and off we went.

We stayed with our friend there, whose flat smelt a bit weird but was lovely all the same. For the next five days we caught up with our friends, explored the town (which was absolutely beautiful) and ate an outrageous amount of cake. I’ve never tasted a cheesecake quite as good as German cheesecake. I attempted to speak German, much to the amusement of my friends who are all very good at German. While we were there we had many adventures involving creeping into my friend’s house late at night, walking so high up that we were above the clouds and a crazy lady at an ice cream shop.

After five days, we had finally made plans to head home, stopping off for a day in Paris on the way. Since we hadn't booked a return ticket, it must have seemed to our friends that we would never leave! The cheapest option was to take a 12 hour coach from Heidelberg to Paris. It was all going swimmingly until a family with two small children got on the coach in Strasbourg when we were still hours from Paris. The youngest child proceeded to sing for the rest of the journey. Lucky us(!) But we just played some card games and chatted and eventually got to Paris. Paris was fantastic and we had a great time being tourists taking selfies and clutching our big maps wherever we went. In a funny way I’m glad our trip was very last minute and quite badly organised because it made it more of an adventure! 

Do you like being spontaneous or do you prefer planning ahead?

4444's picture
4444 25 August, 2016 - 19:07

personally, i like planning because i want to be organized in everything and i want it too in my travels ;

Manaly's picture
Manaly 24 July, 2016 - 11:23

Well am not good at planning and i prefer to be a spontaneous. It gives me a chance to have a full adventure.

Elsa007 5 November, 2015 - 02:17

Hi Giang,
Me either, I love following a perfect plan. Are you a good planner? How well does it usually work for you? …:) I'm curious, tell me! ☆

gianggiang 5 November, 2015 - 08:33

Hi, Elsa. I think I am a good planner because I always finish my homework soon and have lots of time to be here. However, recently, exercises are becoming more and more difficult.........some of them are very difficult, but I always remind myself to finish them as soon as possible because If we delay. the determination is less and less whereas the laziness is more and more and the "weight" of exercises is bigger and bigger. Keep on postponing, your inspiration will disappear....
However, nothing is impossible. Although we are good planners but sometimes everything can be out of control. We shouldn't be shocked about this.

Elsa007 5 November, 2015 - 09:45

Amazing, ginag!
Sounds like your are Concorde and you're competing with your inner self; your strong guts for achieving the plan!
I'm not a good planner though I try to finish my homework by the deadline just because I'm loyal ! :P
Hmm… do you know "The Hare and the Tortoise" (Aesop’s Fables)? I may possibly be the tortoise and you are…..??
Anyway, agree with you! ☆

Elsa007 3 November, 2015 - 01:20

Actually I'm not good at planning…………….!
Whenever things don't go on as planned (things led to things), my frustration goes up and I have to come up against spontaneous situations after all, as if the plan never existed in the first place! It happens. I learned to be more flexible. Of course I love to follow a perfect plan, but I don't mind being in for an adventure. :P ☆

gianggiang 3 November, 2015 - 11:52

Hi, Elsa
I also love following a perfect plan because I can imagine the " perfect" outcomes if I do something spontaneously, without planning.