Earthquaaaaaaaaake!

10
IainG

Living beside an active volcano means that tremors and small earthquakes are not unusual.  Everybody here knows what they feel like, and they come as no surprise to the locals.  For me, though, it was a little different.

According to the US Geological Survey, between 2000 and 2010 an average of some 63,000 people died every year in earthquakes.  In 2010, the Haiti earthquake alone killed 316,000 people. Over one million people lost their homes, and cholera and other diseases spread around the country as a result of this natural disaster.  And the earthquake didn’t even last that long – only 30 to 40 seconds. More than ninety thousand houses were destroyed in just over half a minute.  It is a terrifying thought: the idea that you could lose your home, your family, your friends, your entire city, and even your life, in such a short space of time is enough to give anyone nightmares.

What do you even do when there’s an earthquake?  What is the safety procedure?  In Hollywood films the characters seem to hide under the furniture and I have heard that you should stand somewhere near the door.  Surely you should try to leave the building?  I live in a third floor flat, with several more storeys above me – nobody wants to be trapped under that after an earthquake (or at any other time, for that matter).  One friend told me that, in the event of an earthquake, you should go to the bathroom.  The solid furniture will somehow protect you, she said. Though I suppose the fear may also naturally send you running to the bathroom.

Whenever any tremor comes, I know that I should be scared.  I know that I should probably panic and think about what I need to do.  Last week, though, I felt a tremor for the first time and the only things I felt were excitement and adrenaline.  I was not scared and I was not worried (mind you, my family and friends back home certainly were when I told them).  To feel the earth move like that is quite exhilarating. 

Of course, this tremor lasted only a few seconds.  I have spoken to locals since the event and there were, fortunately, no injuries or any damage done by it. That, I suppose, is the key.  Had it been a real earthquake, I think I would have felt quite differently.

Have you ever experienced an earthquake or tremor?  How did you feel about it?

dzeni 10 March, 2014 - 16:04

Yes, I experienced an earthquake but it wasn`t destroy anything. In the evening I lacquered nails. Suddenly, my arms started to shake. Then I looked around me. Room shaked too and all things in it. At first I was scared but nothing happened. Next day whole school talked about earthquake.

Samir13's picture
Samir13 16 December, 2013 - 09:20

Japan has the world's most earthquake. Moscow, Russia has never had an earthquake. a danger of earthquakes.

Unigon's picture
Unigon 1 December, 2013 - 10:11

In my country erthquakes are rare ,but I experienced two or three.It was lasting for few seconds and nothing was destroyed and nobody was hurt.I learned at school that we can measure the strenght of earthquakes with Richter magnitude scale.I don't know how the real,mighty earthquake feels but I watched films like 10.5: Apocalypse and 2012 World End where they were very scary.I heard that there was a great earthquake in my country Montenegro in 1979.About 1.487 buildings were destroyed,101 person died and more then 100.000 people lost their houses.
I still can't imagine how people in countryes like Japan feel.I guess there are a lot of earthquakes.

justcricketforme 23 November, 2013 - 03:03

Plenty here in Islamabad! I experienced 2005's earthquake. At that time I wasn't in Islamabad because I lived in a Unoversity Town back then. I was on the computer and my Mum was in the kitchen and Da was sleeping. Our maid hadn't came yet to clean. Suddenly we heard very loud bangs. My Munm and I thought it was our maid. My Mum said "Come in!" but the voice raised and no one came. Because of the noises my Dad woke up.
"What's up?" He asked. Mum and I told him. Just then, we heard people screaming and running down. We peeped out many people stood outside. We all raced down the steps and got out of the ampartment.
We then got to know that it was earthquake and then my unvle and told that Margala Towers in Islamabad had fallen. It was a great loss for my country. Many people were killed, injured, lost and handicapped. Alot of buildings were damaged and now, after eight years some of the areas have still not been developed like they were.

mickoviciqwe's picture
mickoviciqwe 11 November, 2013 - 20:27

I never experienced earthquakes and im not planning to xD ( okay...maybe while i was sleeping :P )

Natalija 5 November, 2013 - 13:02

Yes, I have. It was very funny. Sister and I were sleeping in the same room, and suddenly, 5 books fell on her head from shelf because of earthquake. She was scared a little, but I laughed so much, it was really funny to see books on her head, and she almost fell down. It wasn't very dangerous, and the earthquake lasted for 10 minutes.