Embarrassing things I've done whilst living abroad

3
HannahBlogger2

There's something about living abroad that makes a complete fool out of me. Is it because of the language barrier? The difference in culture? Or am I just ridiculously clumsy? Either way, during my time here near Bonn in Germany, I have done a handful of embarrassing things ( ... or maybe about six handfuls). But, what kind of blogger would I be if I didn't share them on the internet? Here goes:

• Whilst working as a teaching assistant, the children were working silently when I suddenly could not stop sneezing. The first time I sneezed, a few students quietly whispered bless you. The second time, a few more whispered bless you. A few sneezes later and the whole class was giggling and shouting bless you' cross the classroom. Their teacher asked them to be quiet and I tried so hard to not sneeze again that I got a headache instead.
  • Speaking of sneezing, on my first day at work I sneezed just before a colleague shook my hand to introduce himself. My hand was wet.
  • Because I'm English, I completely forgot about the St. Nikolaus tradition on the 6th of December! When my colleague came into the staff room and gave out chocolate I was pleasantly surprised (who wouldn't be?) but also extremely confused. Needless to say, my colleague noticed my blank facial expression and had to explain. Awkward.
  • I have tripped up the stairs countless times in train stations.
  • When I was buying a new pair of jeans in a clothes shop, the woman behind the till asked me (in German) if I wanted a bagEither she had a very strong accent or I lost all of my hearing ability, because I did not understand it at all; I just stared at her with a raised eyebrow.
  • The ice outside during early January made me fall over in front of a lot of people. (Note to self: buy shoes that aren't slippery when wet!)
  • My stomach rumbled whilst I was teaching one day. The front two rows of students all stopped reading their books and stared up at me.
  • I nearly accidentally punched a man in Bonn's Haribo Store because I was so excited by the fact that Bonn had a Haribo Store.

And here's the worst one:

• I was at work one day, and the class I was teaching were learning how to write letters in English. I asked the class how they would end a letter in German and one student correctly answered Liebe Grüße. I tried to repeat his correct answer, but I choked on my words and instead shouted something that sounded like Viele Gemüse! (which is German for 'many vegetables!'). Needless to say, the kids laughed. A lot. At me.

So there it is. About 5% of all the embarrassing things I've done abroad. Despite this, I wouldn't have it any other way. The great experiences outweigh the embarrassing moments by far.

What was the last embarrassing thing that happened to you? Care to share?

Elsa007 25 January, 2017 - 10:46

By the way, what do you usually have for meal?
I think what you eat may well affect what you feel.
I hope you don't enjoy junk food! :)))
Elsa

Elsa007 25 January, 2017 - 10:28

Hi Hannah!

I like this blog, interesting. I'm not sure why you feel ashamed yourself so much?
Seeing this person objectively, I think this person can be a main character of a book or a film!
Proud of ourself! You've given a lot of laughs to others! People share a sense of intimacy with such a person rather than with a perfect person. Their laugh is not scornful derision but a sense of ease, did you know?✨

And... my last embarrassing thing the happened to me?
Countless! But among them..... the embarrassing thing was that when I visited UK......
Oh no!! It was so shameful disaster!
Beyond comparison of physiological phenomenon like sneezing!!
Does someone want to know??

Elsa