Magazine blogLife around the world

An English afternoon tea party

8

Most weekends, my friends and I cook something all together and have a fun themed party. So far, we have had traditional Spanish, Mexican and Italian themed evenings which have been a lot of fun! This week, I suggested we should have an English afternoon tea party so these are the things I think we will need and how to make them (in case you want to have an English afternoon tea party at home!):

First of all, tea is very important! Use your best teapot and cups and make sure there is plenty of milk and sugar to add to the tea. I personally like English breakfast tea bags but I know a lot of people like Earl Grey, especially for a tea party. Maybe you could put lots of different types of tea out so that people can try all of them?

Next, you need to prepare sandwiches. At tea parties, we often make ‘mini’ sandwiches - a sliced loaf of bread with each piece cut into quarters for example – so that they are easier to eat. In England, we spread butter onto the bread before adding the fillings. Traditional fillings include ham and mustard, cheese and onion chutney, tuna mayonnaise or smoked salmon and cream cheese ... But really whatever you fancy!

Then, every tea party needs scones! A scone is a traditional cake which is made using flour, butter, sugar and milk. You eat scones by splitting them in half and spreading them with either butter or clotted cream (a thick cream which spreads easily onto the scone) and either raspberry or strawberry jam. I think scones are my favourite part of afternoon tea!

Finally, all afternoon tea parties have a good selection of cakes and biscuits. For example, I am going to make a traditional English Victoria sponge cake which has two layers of vanilla cake with raspberry jam and cream in the middle. I am also going to make shortbread biscuits which taste very buttery and originate in Scotland.

Now that you have all of your food, you can decorate your party room with bunting (flags) and Union Jacks to make this a very British afternoon tea party!

Here are some recipes you can follow to help with your tea party:

Scones - http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1729/ultimate-scones
Victoria sponge cake - http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1997/classic-victoria-sandwich
Shortbread - http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/11609/shortbread

Please comment below if you try any of these recipes or host a tea party! Do you have any traditions like this in your country?

Damiana's picture
Damiana 8 December, 2016 - 13:23

Hello from Kazakhstan)) I appreciate your post, and I want to share with you how Kazakh people evaluate tea. It is one of the main dish in our country, after the meat. Usual Kazakh family can drink more than 3 teapots during the dinner. We like tea with lots of milk and sugar. Personally my favorite combination is tea with hot baursaks. Baursaks is traditional fried peaces of dough. It's absolutely delicious. If we talk about themed party, we have it everyday, but nobody don't know about it. It is like a casual thing.

Damiana's picture
Damiana 10 December, 2016 - 12:26

Hi Jonathan. It is usually a little bit crispy and soft inside. It could be sweet or not. It depends up amount of sugar you use in. If you want, I can send you the recipe how to cook them.

youaretheonlyone29's picture
youaretheonlyone29 27 February, 2016 - 09:26

In Vietnam, this kinds of party nearly don't exist! Our parents don't like us hang around or visiting friends' house 'cause they afraid that we will be kidnapped :)) When we want to have our mates around, we just go to a department store which has cinema and Lotteria ;)) Oh, and Vietnamese teenagers don't drink tea much.

hadia 27 March, 2016 - 06:45

Hey Jamie :)
Here in Pakistan, we have parties like this........
All of my friends usually come at my place and we do fun and party together...But I've never been allowed to go at other's place...My Parents don't allow me to go to my friends' home. But I never felt bad about this because whatever they do ,is for our safety :) I didn't even go to those friends' places which are with me since we started going school. And I'm okay with that.........when I was a kid I thought that it's really bad!! Why Can't I go??
But as I've grown mature I guess it's okay :)) They do this for our safety.....I have seen many of my fellows which do late night parties at other's home and they're really getting spoiled.......They only do fun....no study and other things....
My sister is becoming a Doctor and doing her M.B.B.S in Uni. Now she can go anywhere.....She's grown mature and understands things.....But she avoids doing such things and even says me to study more because ,for achieving an aim.....you have to sacrifice your time and be fully devoted to it. I'm currently doing Pre-medical and, yeah, i think it's time for us to be something and achieve our goals .........After we've achieved it , we can have as much parties and as much enjoyment we can :)