An English breakfast

13
KatiedeS

I'm really enjoying life in a foreign country, however there is always the odd home comfort I really miss (usually food). The other day I was craving nothing more than a good old English breakfast so I searched high and low in the French supermarket to stock up on ingredients to make one. A traditional full English breakfast, also commonly known as a fry up, consists of the following:

• Eggs (either fried or scrambled)
  • Bacon
  • Sausage
  • Toast or fried bread
  • Baked beans
  • Hash browns
  • Tomato
  • Mushrooms

This is usually served with ketchup on the side, a glass of orange juice and of course a big cup of tea. Often people are mistaken that this is the kind of thing British people eat at the start of every day but that is rarely the case. A full English is usually something we'd have as a special treat at the weekend for a lazy morning relaxing with friends. I don't think I could have one every day, just imagine eating all that every morning!

A standard breakfast in the UK really varies from person to person. As people have become much more health conscious in recent years, healthy breakfasts and brunches such as homemade smoothies and avocado on toast are becoming really popular. Of course, cereal will always remain a breakfast staple, along with toast and jam or marmalade. Porridge is also a popular breakfast dish, as it's healthy, cheap and really filling.

I am enjoying breakfasts in France, though - fresh bread and croissants from the bakery are a perfect start to my day!

What do you like to eat for breakfast?

mmitxanhso's picture
mmitxanhso 4 December, 2016 - 13:30

Uh, I'm from Viet Nam. In my country, we usually eat rice noodle soup, vermicelli noodles for breakfast. Exactly, there are so much dishes for breakfast but my english isn't good enough for me to describe about Vietnamese food.

Raxana's picture
Raxana 22 April, 2016 - 20:28

Thank you so much, Katiede! I do enjoy reading your articles! As for an English breakfast, I found ur article very helpful ! For example, I've always wondered if the English eat such a breakfast every day ) I come from Russia and, to tell the truth, we tend to have sort of an English breakfast - mostly, a bit reduced version, though. Thus, we often have fried eggs, toast, sausages and smth on a side - so for some people beans and veggies can serve just right) And btw, the region of Russia where I come from - the South Urals - is famous for greatest tea-drinkers) So I can say, we tend to have smth in common, right? =)

nikaherlina's picture
nikaherlina 17 April, 2016 - 17:15

I like indonesia breakfast , such as : chicken porridge, fried rice and traditional food nasi uduk , although high calories, but i like it

marikami's picture
marikami 3 March, 2016 - 08:26

my day begin early. i have not time for breakfast. i drink coffee every morning.

sorry for my English. i'm new here.

iva10 29 February, 2016 - 20:34

I like to eat a slice of bread and put some cheese on it,but sometimes i eat fruit for breakfast,like bananas and oranges

PinkCloud's picture
PinkCloud 15 February, 2016 - 18:13

I like Turkish breakfast. There are a lot of types of food. I like toast , eggs and menemen. Menemen is made of egg with peppers, tomatoes etc.

Elsa007 10 February, 2016 - 16:32

I like English breakfast, but, you know what, a traditional full breakfast contains about 800 calories!!