Exploring a new city

10
KatieI

When you tell people that you’re moving to a new city, let alone a new country, there are certain phrases you become used to hearing over and over again.  I found this out first hand when I left my family home in London for Lyon, France this summer.  While the, “You’re so brave!” and “You’re going to have the best year ever!” comments are lovely and more than welcome, there are some things that no-one can ever prepare you for when moving abroad. 

I suppose the thing with moving country is that everyone’s experience is unique and it really is only as good as you make it.  Of course it helps if you fall in love with the place, make friends and speak the language but the thing I’ve loved the most so far is the time I’ve dedicated to exploring Lyon.  As soon as I stepped out of the metro, I knew Lyon was the right place for me (not even the sweat dripping off me from lugging 2 suitcases up 3 flights of stairs in a winter coat in 25 degrees heat was going to put me off!)  It was then that I decided that I would spend at least one day a week simply discovering all that Lyon has to offer-be it one of the many bouchons (typical Lyonnais restaurants), a museum or just strolling through the beautiful streets. 

The problem for me is that because I’m actually from London I often take the city for granted.  Yes, I understand that it’s undoubtedly one of the most beautiful and exciting cities in the world but does it make me want to get up on a Sunday morning and visit Buckingham Palace or the National Gallery? No.  Instead, I waste the day away in my pyjamas watching films I’ve already seen hundreds of times.  

In Lyon, however, I appear to be a changed girl.  Since my arrival, I’ve already visited 2 museums, go the market every Sunday morning without fail, have taken a cooking class and have sampled far too many of the wonderful restaurants Lyon has to offer for my own good (and my waistlines...)

So whether you’ve recently moved to another country or still live in your hometown, I seriously recommend a day out simply exploring your town.  You’ll be amazed how many places you’ve never noticed before when you simply open your eyes and take in all your wonderful city has to offer. 

Topics: 

Do you ever go out to explore your own town or city? What types of places do you like to visit on a day out? 

hanies1904's picture
hanies1904 19 October, 2014 - 02:44

I've visited Vung Tau, Danang, Phan thiet, Quang Tri, Hue,... In the weekend I like to go to the centre of my city.

PafnutyTeam's picture
PafnutyTeam 11 March, 2014 - 14:24

For this p[urpose, you should be phisically very strong - to explore the whole city on foot!..

Fatime143's picture
Fatime143 8 February, 2014 - 16:37

Yes,I ever go to explore my own city.I like to visit The Maidens Tower.The Maidens Tower is the symbol of Baku.The 32-meter Maidens Tower is one of the beautiful and mysterious architectural monuments on The Absheron Peninsula.It has eight floors.The walls are4-5 meters thick.You can enjoy wonderful view of Baku from here.There are a lot of legends about the tower.From the top of the tower you can see the inner city within the fortress walls.

MALINE 4 January, 2014 - 21:45

I love exploring my city,I like going to museums or just for a walk at the main square called"zócalo",you will always find places you have never noticed before.

justcricketforme 23 November, 2013 - 02:22

Well there isn't any historic place here in Islamabad but exporling ot's hills (Margala Hills) I've recently done it's all tracks. As for something for exploring, we've got taxila not very far from here. I visited the city ruins and museums. It's an awesome place for exploring!

justcricketforme 23 November, 2013 - 02:17

Well yes expoloring the hills in my city is fun. I've had alot of fun doing this. We did tracks all round the hills. It's awesome. It has lakes and streams which have fresh and cold water. There aren't any historic places here but Taxila (not very far for Islamabad) is very historic. I've visted the ruins and it's very much fun.

m@tini's picture
m@tini 14 November, 2013 - 17:43

I like to explore my city! It has so many places to see, wonderfull museums and monuments and amazing neghbourhoods. Every time I have the chance to explore some of those sights I never lose the opportunity for it!

Harabeli Supersweet 8 November, 2013 - 17:31

No, I don't go out to explore my city. I like to visit museums and shopping malls. Parks are a great place to have fun too.