Fancy a walk?

19
Lynsey Pilcher

I am not an outdoor person. Outdoors is wet, it’s cold, and there’s nowhere to plug in your GHDs.  So you can imagine my reaction when a teacher at my school asked if I’d like to join a group of staff and pupils on a walk in the Castillian countryside?

Exactly – I’d rather gauge my eyes out with rusty spoons.

Well, that would have been my usual reaction.  But since coming on my year abroad, my outlook on things has changed. I’m the new girl now, the ‘foreigner’. I need to take any opportunity to make friends with both hands – or as my mum put it, ‘Go to the opening of an envelope if you’re invited.’  And you know how mums have a nasty habit of being right.  So with a few reservations, I said yes. Anyway it was only a walk – how bad could it be?
Famous last words, eh?

Alarm bells started ringing about two seconds after I’d said yes. ‘Great,’ said the teacher in question. ‘See you at the school at 8am on Saturday…and bring your walking boots.’ I think my blank face said it all. She just smiled and said trainers would be fine. But I was worried now - what was I letting myself in for?

Well, it turned out the term ‘walk’ had been vastly misleading. I was expecting a nice tranquil saunter through fields filled with flowers, a leisurely lunch perhaps. No such luck. At 10.15am, after an hour and a half bus journey into the midst of Spanish nothingness we began trekking. And trekking is really the only word for it: we scrambled up rocks, fought our way through trees, and slid down muddy slopes…well I did, at least. Bloody trainers. And, as always, I ended up at the back of the group, practically having to be dragged up the last part of our climb by the exasperated computing teacher. ‘You should have had a backpack’ he said, giving my bag a withering look. In hindsight, maybe my black patent handbag wasn’t exactly the best choice...

Anyway, at 5.30pm we eventually arrived back at the bus. Having only had three twenty minute breaks the whole day, I felt like the living dead. However, the teachers treated me to a coffee break on the way home (apparently I looked in need of one - charming), and although I’ve had to endure endless ‘enjoy the trek, did we Lynsey?’ remarks ever since, I actually do feel like I’ve bonded with them more now. Even the pupils who came on the trip have actually stared talking to me out of will, which is really nice. I had to endure what was quite possibly the worst day of my life for this pleasure, but hey no pain no gain, right? They’ve even asked me if I want to go on the next ‘walk’ in April.

I’m getting back to them on that one…

Are you an outdoor person, or do you prefer the comfort of staying at home?

cklj's picture
cklj 18 August, 2015 - 12:51

It depends on my mood. Sometimes I like to stay home and spend the night reading or watching films like I was planning to, but sometimes I like to go out and be around people. When I was growing I didn't use to go out much and my mum used to tell me to call my friends and go have some fun. Now I go out with my best friends every night and she says to me that I go out too much and I should stay at home sometimes. It's weird.
When it comes to hiking I'm all in. I enjoy every second of it even knowing that my legs will hurt two days after.

Ken 12 July, 2015 - 05:56

I'm absolutely an outdoor person! But it's a shame that school is busy nowadays!!!
ʅ( ‾⊖◝)ʃ

dzeni 5 March, 2014 - 17:06

I am an outdoor person. I don`t like closed area. I prefer going on the fresh air, play some sport outside, ride roler blades, doing some activities, walking or just hang out with my friends.

Pitaloka's picture
Pitaloka 25 August, 2013 - 08:38

I am an outdoor person. I easily get bored if I kept in the house. I love when I can hang out with my friends, and take a walk with my dog ​​every afternoon, or just sit in the park.

Amigo110's picture
Amigo110 11 July, 2013 - 08:35

Hi Natalija !
ISame as u, i love hiking nd I curious about
How is the farthest u have hiked?

sailor moon's picture
sailor moon 28 June, 2013 - 10:55

i like staying at home and doing what i like, but i think that staying at home isn`t beautiful that walking. Here where i live has too many parks and there i can walk for some minutes.

alvhernandes's picture
alvhernandes 17 May, 2013 - 17:55

I love walk in summer many days on Sierra Nevada , Granada . is a incredible experience because all is very beautiful

Natalija 19 March, 2013 - 15:48

I love hiking a lot. When I am in a bad mood, there's nothing what can make me feel better to a long walk in the nature alone. I instantly feel great.

dona cenja's picture
dona cenja 1 March, 2013 - 04:29

I like to walk because is a good way to spend your free time and when I am walking I feel free....

merlin's picture
merlin 10 February, 2013 - 17:48

i am a outdoor person i think staying in home doing nothing separate you from the world i like fresh air a walk early in the morning going out with my friends if i stay a day in home i don t feel good and there are times when i became angry

Starlette Lady's picture
Starlette Lady 2 November, 2012 - 17:35

I prefer staying at home but I think there's nothing bad in going out for a walk sometimes, because then you can find out lots of new things and get new experience. And after all, even being tired, you feel proud of yourself for this small achievement, for you've made another step on the road of life.