The Flower of Scotland

29
JohnM

Every country has a national anthem, a song which expresses national identity, recalls history and praises the people. A great form of patriotism, indeed. For example, the British national anthem is "God Save the Queen", sung whenever Queen Elizabeth II makes a public appearance. But in recent times, Scotland has adopted "Flower of Scotland" as its unofficial anthem. Regularly played at national rugby and football matches, "Flower of Scotland" evokes the country's very significant victory against England at the Battle of Bannockburn in 1314, led by Robert the Bruce. 

The song itself is named after Scotland's national emblem. Not surprisingly, each country in the UK is represented by various symbols. But did you know that England, Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland all have its own floral emblem? Well, England's emblem is the rose, while Wales has the daffodil and Ireland has the shamrock. But Scotland's national emblem is called the thistle.

Originally seen as a symbol of defence in the 15th century, the thistle, this prickly-leaved purple flower, is and will always be known as the symbol of Scotland. The flower of Scotland, my country.

“Flower of Scotland” (You can listen to it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJ5fLBEpKo8)

1. O Flower of Scotland,
When will we see
Your like again
That fought and died for
Your wee bit hill and glen.
And stood against him,
Proud Edward's army,
And sent him homeward
To think again.

2. The hills are bare now,
And autumn leaves
Lie thick and still
O'er land that is lost now,
Which those so dearly held
That stood against him,
Proud Edward's army
And sent him homeward
To think again.

3. Those days are past now
And in the past
They must remain
But we can still rise now
And be the nation again!
That stood against him
Proud Edward's army
And sent him homeward
To think again.

Has your country got a national anthem or a special song? Tell us about it here.

catastrophe's picture
catastrophe 26 June, 2017 - 05:41

Yup, we do have, and it's one of the most beautiful national anthem of the world. I'm from India, and my national anthem, 'Jana Gana Mana' is written by Rabindranth Tagore, a famous patriotic poet. It is a Bengali song. I really enjoy singing it, and the music always seeps down a patriotic feeling inside me. Not to mention coming from a patriotic family!

We sing our national anthem at all national festivals, schools, and even theatres. I'm proud of my national anthem. :)))

sadness's picture
sadness 2 June, 2016 - 17:29

Yes we have and I think it is so beautiful when you listen this it like a ermm.. you in a war and you are dead but still fighting ( '́⌣'̀)/

swiss_expat's picture
swiss_expat 10 April, 2015 - 13:22

In Switzerland, we are currently voting for our new national anthem. The current one doesn't refer flowers, and I think it's a shame. Afterall, the edelweiss is the strongest symbol of Switzerland. Hopefully, our new anthem will feature this beautiful flower!

Ken 8 April, 2015 - 16:16

Yes, my country has got a national anthem which is written in minor key. I think that's distinct from many other national anthems whose tune often makes people be full of go! The song sounds dark but when I learned the lyrics, I thought it wasn't so bad. It goes like this;

May your reign
Continue for a thousand, eight thousand generations,
Until the pebbles
Grow into boulders
Lush with moss

The message is very simple but actually our language used here is literal and beautiful. The everlastingness is explained by an analogy to a million years of growth of the pebbles coming into boulders to be covered in moss. Is it clear in meaning??

Yes, we have a national anthem. It's known as ''Pak Sarzameen'' or The Holy Land. It was adopted as our country's national anthem in 1954. It's very melodious and harmonious and we sing it every morning in school's assembly and on every national day as well. Especially, it is sung on TV channels on 14th August which is our Independence Day. In it, the prayers and blessings for the holy land are given for it's beauty, victory, unity of people and it's happiness.
We feel very patriotic whenever we sing it on national days! It's very melodious and a symbol of our country. It represents our country and it's beauty! I love to sing it!

Fatime143's picture
Fatime143 8 March, 2014 - 06:20

Yes,we have a national anthem.We sing anthem every morning when i study at junior school and every events.Anthem is a symbol of my country.i like our anthem very much.

Niluh 1 December, 2013 - 08:26

Of course! We have a national anthem. When i was in junior high school, we sang it every Monday while our flag is hoisting. Right now, i am in senior high school and we only do it when once there's important event.

Lavender 2 October, 2013 - 06:54

Our country has a national anthem too. We’ve learnt the lyrics by heart since we were in primary school. Then we sing it every Monday till we go to universities and we don’t do this anymore.

justcricketforme 17 September, 2013 - 13:05

Yes we have a national anthem. It's in Persian. It's called 'Quami Tarana' meaning 'National Anthem' in Urdu. It has a very nice tune. We sing it daily in assembly at school.

MartaPenny's picture
MartaPenny 24 August, 2013 - 09:39

Hi!
Yes my country has a national anthem and I think it is the most beautiful anthem in the world!! Of course!!:)
Mameli's anthem has a long story and I'm proud of my italian origins.
We sing it for football match, national holidays ecc... We celebrate the Republic Day in June 2nd and we sing it continuously for all day long!

fianeso's picture
fianeso 20 August, 2013 - 10:01

Algeria his symbol is the fennec and our anthem is"quasaman" who talk about the peace in the coutry and the sacrifice of our martyres(1.5 millions died for the independance of the coutry)

Pitaloka's picture
Pitaloka 20 August, 2013 - 04:26

Indonesia has 'Indonesia Raya' as a national anthem. We sing this anthem every monday at school ceremony and independence day, of course. In monday ceremony, we sang this anthem when we was raising the flag. And when August 17th (our independence day), usually at the beginning of august this anthem was played continuously for a full month!

double_mushroom's picture
double_mushroom 4 August, 2013 - 12:12

My country has own national anthem, too, its name is Quốc Tế Ca. The anthem is sung on every Monday morning. On this day, we have a "flag- raising" ceremony and sing the song and women will wear the traditional costume which calls "Ao dai" .

learningenglish282's picture
learningenglish282 6 August, 2013 - 13:55

hi double_mushroom i beg you from Vietnam because i am from Vietnam too and our national anthem is Tiến Quân Ca :]
I think Vietnam national anthem is a beautiful song and i really proud of this song.

Bosnianchild's picture
Bosnianchild 2 July, 2013 - 14:10

It is funny,we have a national anthem,but it doesn't have lyrics.We listen it on every special events for our country or local community.But,we have special songs that we support our sports selection and we're craty about them.I hope that my Bosnia will get some beutiful lyrics as soon as possible.

Natalija 1 July, 2013 - 20:21

Yes, we have an anthem. It's called Boze pravde(or God of Justice). We sing that anthem at every important event, like important national day or holiday, important sporting event, school celebration etc. I'm so proud every time I sing it, and every time I do that, I feel like a real Serbian, I feel I belong to my country, and I like singing it. Serbians have sung it since 19th century, and that anthem is really very important for us, there is no Serb who doesn't know for it. By the way, I think anthems're very important part of every country's culture, because they represent everything, they're a symbol of that country, and I believe we all should be proud of our national anthem.