Four ways to make someone else smile

6
MarilynBlogger2017

In a world surrounded by bad news, it may feel like an unhappy place sometimes. However, you can make a difference. If you make even one person smile today, you can help make this world a better place. Here is a list of ideas to help you. What are you waiting for? Go be amazing!

1. Send a handwritten letter

In this day and age where everything is sent via email, Facebook, WhatsApp and Snapchat, it’s a shock to receive a letter through the post. Putting pen to paper and writing a few words to a friend can be an easy way to make a positive impact. Even a postcard with a couple of sentences could really make someone’s day – all for the price of a stamp!

2. Volunteer

Requiring some time and research to find the perfect project, volunteering is one of the nicest things you can do. Whether you volunteer at your local youth group or take dogs from shelters for a walk, the simple fact that you are giving up your time to help someone else is incredible. There are so many opportunities, so you are sure to find one that is right for you. And it doesn’t necessarily have to take up all your time – it could be once a week or a couple of times a year.

3. Make something for a special person

Whether you’re creative or not, taking time to make something for someone else shows how much you appreciate them. Even if you think you’re not creative, the recipient will feel lucky to get such a unique gift that you put your precious time into. Some ideas could include a card, painting, drawing, song, poem or cake!

4. Tell someone ‘I love you’

Before you go ‘yuck’, it can be anyone – your mum or dad, grandparents, family member, friend, boyfriend or girlfriend. And you don’t even have to say ‘I love you’. Perhaps you can tell a friend that you appreciate all they are to you, or remind your mum that you love her. Sometimes, in our busy lives we forget to take a moment to tell people what they mean to us. 

Which ideas did you like? Do you have any other ideas of ways to make someone smile?

SLMT's picture
SLMT 6 February, 2018 - 18:04

Among 4 of them ,Being a volunteer is the best idea.It gives a hand to others who really needs a help.We can spend our time preciously by helping others.For me Saying “I love you” is the most difficult one.It’s been ages not saying that sentence to my parents.I don’t know why.But it’s difficult to say “I love you” to the ones I love.How stupid I am.

MarilynBlogger2017's picture
MarilynBlogger2017 12 February, 2018 - 11:50

Hi SLMT, 

Thank you for your comment! Volunteering is indeed a great way to help other people.

It doesn't matter if you feel uncomfortable saying 'I love you.' This does not make you stupid. Perhaps you can show your parents in other ways that you love them. Help them out around the house, make something special for them. Sometimes actions speak louder than words :)  

Ken 9 February, 2018 - 05:40

Hi SMLT, sounds good. What kinds of volunteer work have you done before just for reference? Me?
I clean or organize the messy space when nobody is there. I don't know if it's called "a volunteer" but I just use commonsense caution, which is not special to me.
By the way, I'm stupid, too! Cuz I understand your feelings about "I♡U". To me, it sounds a bit cheesy once the words come out, while we are close. So, maybe we just love commercialized love!

MarilynBlogger2017's picture
MarilynBlogger2017 12 February, 2018 - 11:53

Hi Ken, 

Thank you for your comment! Perhaps you could start by making the first step? If you do something nice for your friends, perhaps they'll do something for you in return. And as a bonus you'd make someone smile!

Ken 13 February, 2018 - 13:23

Thanks for your advice.
☆♫ ٩( ´ᆺ`)۶♫ ★
Well, let's give it a try, I'm not sure if someone will be aware of my deed, though.
⊂('ω'⊂ )))Σ≡=─༄༅༄༅༄༅༄༅༄༅

1 user has voted.