Getting over the winter blues

3
MeganC

Christmas is over, the turkey is long gone, and all that seems to be left are short Winter days and long, cold nights. For many of us in the Northern Hemisphere, January is the most dreaded month of the year. The excitement of Christmas is over, and all we have to look forward to is cold weather, lack of sunlight and, for many students at university, a long month of revision and exams. But does January really have to be that depressing? 

For me personally, winter is my favourite season of the year. Whilst it may be cold outside, I cherish those winter moments spent by the fire with warm hot chocolate after a long day’s work. What's more, what more could you want than a month in which it is deemed acceptable to walk around your house in the fluffiest of socks and pyjamas from the afternoon onwards (or, if you live at university, at any time of the day). No one can judge you for your choice of clothing because the main priority here is keeping warm!

January may be a month of exams, but it is also the month of the New Year’s sales. What better way to spend that bit of money that you gained over the Christmas period than in the January promotions. This is the perfect time to stock up on next winter’s supply of jumpers before the warmer weather greets us again. For some, January might even signify a wardrobe change. As the saying goes: a new year, a new you. 

The New Year has long been known as an ideal time to try something new and to make changes for the better. Whether this means a fashion restyle, joining a new sports club or (talking from my own, personal resolution) an extra hour of grammar practice a week, January is the perfect time to carry out those resolutions that you have been contemplating over the last year. 

There you have it; January doesn't have to be all that depressing after all! We just have to be a little more proactive in finding cures for those winter blues. 

How do the seasons change how you feel? 

Seasons have much influence on our mood! we may feel irritated sometimes when there is too much hot and when there's much cold because when this happens i don't feel good Well! I don't know why??? but autumn is my favourite season! I really like the brownish and yellowish leaves everywhere and the scene looks lovely!

sona's picture
sona 3 February, 2015 - 18:30

The seasons ' change effects a lot in my mood. Spring is my favourite season ,that makes me very happy . Sunshine,trees,flowers,birds, all these are so beautiful and wonderfull. On the other hand, winter makes me glad,because of the bad weather and short days.:-)

iva16 21 January, 2015 - 12:25

Well my favourite season is winter,but I don t like snow too much.I feel the same in every season ,but somethime less happy or sad.