Girls' night

14
KatieI

Every Wednesday night, my favourite girlfriends and I all group together with the sole aim of having a good laugh and natter, all in the name of “Girls’ night”.  “Here we go again”, “get in line with the thousands of other Carrie Bradshaw wannabes”, I hear you say.  But it’s not like that.

Whilst I genuinely do call these girls my “actual” friends now, we are yet to obtain the closely-knit bond that the SATC girls have (SATC is short for Sex and the City, a popular TV series).   However, for us, girls' night represents something else.  You see, Carrie, Samantha, Miranda and Charlotte (the SATC girls, if you’re not already familiar with them) have known each other since the day dot.  They already know the ins and outs of every aspect of each other’s lives ... yes, every aspect.  For us girls here in Lyon, it’s slightly different.  We all moved here around 5 months ago now and that’s the only thing we really knew about each other.  However, thanks to girls' night, this is no longer the story.

We meet religiously every Wednesday night eagerly awaiting that week’s onslaught of gossip about absolutely everything and anything.  This week, for example, we met at a fancy restaurant in the increasingly popular hotel chain Mama Shelter and had yet another splendid evening. 

Girls' night enables us to really get to know one-another and provides a sneak peak into the other’s lives before they came to France.   Yes, I could quite easily (and have) fired up my laptop and had a good old-fashioned Facebook stalk on the girls.  But, although this did provide a few obligatory giggles at my girlfriends’ expense, it failed to share the story behind the chocolate cake smothered all over Laura’s face, the reason for Sophie’s awful full fringe/bangs (there is no valid excuse, by the way) or even the pink velour tracksuit bottoms Hannah promises were all the rage in the 90s. 

So whilst girls’ night may just seem like yet another reason for us girls to get together and have a good gossip, it’s the girls I’m sharing it with and the bond that we’re building that really makes it what it is.

So here’s to my favourite Lyon gal pals: Franny, Lucy, Martha and Laura for sharing this adventure with me and making Wednesday nights all that more fun! 

Do you ever go out with just your girl friends or do you usually go out in mixed groups? 

sanpai28's picture
sanpai28 13 November, 2016 - 05:03

I very rarely go out with friends, either boy or girl. I almost always go out with my family. But I don't like going out much. I only stay at home reading a book, or using my computer. I don't prefer much in hanging out with friends. But I have a walk with my family in the early morning or sometimes evening. But I never go out at night. I don't like bars, restaurants and I don't drink alcohol. I don't like the too crowded places very much.

iva10 1 November, 2015 - 21:53

No.I don t like going outside so much,especially when it s two clock.I don t like to hung out so much as my sister,she often says that i m antisocial. And it s true.If I cud i would spend the entire day surfing on the internet and reading latest news about Novak Djokovic.

patchyplum's picture
patchyplum 15 March, 2015 - 07:53

we don't have one like that.but all girls in my class are great friends and have super fun all the time excluding the naughty boys<though they are fun too>A girl's night would be perfect coz we will for sure enjoy the whole day!shoulda suggest all my friebnds!

SweetRobin3's picture
SweetRobin3 5 April, 2014 - 15:24

hmmmm............. no we don't have a girls night
but i think it's so interesting :)

justcricketforme 19 March, 2014 - 14:39

Not yet but I will on Friday because we have planned to go to the cinema in the mall Cetarus and then have dinner there in the food area. I hope we have fun and it doesn't get canceled.

serap's picture
serap 18 March, 2014 - 16:00

I do not like to go out much. I'd prefer staying at home and spending time on computer. If I go out, I'd prefer hanging out with my best friend.

Harabeli Supersweet 18 March, 2014 - 14:30

Last week I hang out with my mum and my two best friends. We had so much fun. I consider my mum a friend too. I love hanging out with my girl friends, but we don't do it every time. We're usually so busy studying or talking on the phone with each other. Anyway, I'm so glad that I have found really good friends in high school. They make me happy. We talk about school, books, movies, our future, celebrities, music etc. I hope we'll be like this forever.

Niluh 18 March, 2014 - 14:17

Honestly, i rarely go out with my friends, i prefer spending most of my time at home with my computer. But, when i have spare time to go out, i usually go out with my best friend, we hang out to the mall and eat out together.