Graffiti: crime or culture?

30
DrewH

When you say the word “graffiti”, some people think of big, beautiful and colourful artwork whilst others think of mess that make our towns and cities look untidy and badly-maintained. Graffiti is art that is painted on walls and other public places. It is most often made with spray paint, which comes in a can. However, graffiti can be made with any type of paint or other material. Some people use real paint to make their art.

Graffiti can vary from a small “tag”; someone’s name written on a wall, to a very large mural, which covers a whole wall. Graffiti is much more common in urban areas. The artists argue that without graffiti, cities would just be grey and boring. Those who do not like graffiti say that it makes the city look messy. Some people also link graffiti to anti-social behaviour and gang culture.

Graffiti often has a social or political message which it shows in pictures or words or both. A famous British graffiti artist called “Banksy” creates street-art with very clear messages for society. His art is usually made with stencils and spray paint and often reverses the normal roles people have in society.

In the United Kingdom graffiti is illegal. People can be fined a lot of money if they are caught decorating public property. However, some towns and cities have “free walls,” these are places where graffiti is legal. “Free walls” are created to stop people doing graffiti in other places. In Colombia, graffiti is very popular even though it is illegal too. Lots of young people have the attitude that if there is a blank wall then an artist has the right to decorate it with graffiti. Lots of people get into trouble with the police because of this. In Colombia, graffiti often represents indigenous people and culture, but it is still seen as vandalism in the eyes of the law.

Is graffiti common where you live? Do you think street art is beautiful or messy?

Rockyy's picture
Rockyy 14 September, 2014 - 10:27

Graffiti in Turkey is not very good. Because it's not creative. And it seems very dirty and bad. But in Turkey, somewhere has got really good and seems crazy. And yeah, people who is painting graffiti trouble with police.

GerardG9's picture
GerardG9 17 May, 2014 - 21:52

The truth is that now the graffiti is not very well seen in society, only a few they see art and say they should be in museums.
in reality is that the graffiti is a way to express ourselves freely. Like, Like !

MALINE 12 April, 2014 - 17:51

Here in México grafitti is very common,most of them are just scribbles and I don´t like them,but those colourful big ones I do.
A few years ago there was a convocation to artists to paint a grafitti at Azteca Stadium and there were hundreds of participants and the top ten were able to draw their grafittieson the Stadium,I remember there was a grafitti of Michael Jackson another of the Pope and a famous Mexican soccer player.

naenglishclass's picture
naenglishclass 10 April, 2014 - 13:20

in argentina graffities are commun .for me graffiti is a beutiful art. It isn`t messy and people when drawing graffities are expressing themselves

Martina2001's picture
Martina2001 10 April, 2014 - 13:16

In the place I live, there aren't many graffities. I think graffiti is art, I like it, the artists express themselves.

sweet_chocolate's picture
sweet_chocolate 10 April, 2014 - 13:15

In our city graffities aren´t common. we think that graffities are beautiful , but we don´t like when they paint in private places.

abamiyalu14's picture
abamiyalu14 10 April, 2014 - 13:11

Where I live it's inusual to see graffiti in the walls, but I think that graffiti arts are beautiful, because its a way that some persons express themselves.

Cnsgroup2ndyear's picture
Cnsgroup2ndyear 10 April, 2014 - 13:10

there is another comment of my friend

In my city there aren't graffitis, for me the graffitis are a culture

Cnsgroup2ndyear's picture
Cnsgroup2ndyear 10 April, 2014 - 12:43

in my country sometimes graffity sometimes is use by thief ,they write in the house of people and they leave it for days and if is not clean in a few day they enter to the house.

But there is other people that draw beautiful things and u say "Dude, that awesome!"

Sophia18's picture
Sophia18 2 April, 2014 - 14:06

Where I live the graffiti doesn't commom. And I think that the graffiti is culture, and is beautiful. But is necessary have a way for the artist shows their art without prejudice the people that live in determined place.

jackbwfcjt's picture
jackbwfcjt 23 March, 2014 - 14:39

Graffiti is not common where I live!!! I think that street art is good and bad at the same time. its good because it makes the wall or place where they have graffiti look more nice, unique, colourful and sometimes it is good artwork. however, its bad because sometimes people graffiti comments or pictures that are racist etc. also sometimes it makes the place look untidy and scruffy.

DrewH's picture
DrewH 2 April, 2014 - 05:06

You're exactly right! This is the problem with graffiti. Some people see it as beautiful art whilst others see it as mess.

entertainmentcentre's picture
entertainmentcentre 21 March, 2014 - 18:39

some of my friends think that graffiti is an art, an art that deserves to be respected, making this trough creating specific spaces to exhibit it; in my opinion the graffiti makes intresting our cities, but it has to be special sapces for this.

DrewH's picture
DrewH 2 April, 2014 - 05:07

I agree with your friends! As long as it isn't a messy scribble or has an important message then I like graffiti.

beltrax's picture
beltrax 21 March, 2014 - 18:37

Yes, graffiti is very common in Albania. You can find it everywhere. Street art can be beautiful, but it looks so messy and rude most of the time.

DrewH's picture
DrewH 2 April, 2014 - 05:10

I agree. Graffiti is only good if people put the effort into making something beautiful!

Niluh 21 March, 2014 - 16:11

Graffiti is very common in my country, nearly all walls are fulled by graffiti and it looks so messy and awful. Most of the walls fulled by graffiti are swear words and unimportant sentences, it's hard to find graffiti with good pictures or clear messages.

DrewH's picture
DrewH 2 April, 2014 - 05:15

Yes it is hard to find good graffiti in the UK too. I really like big murals that cover a whole wall. They can send an important politcal message or even tell a story.

Harabeli Supersweet 20 March, 2014 - 18:49

Yes, graffiti is very common in Albania. You can find it everywhere. Street art can be beautiful, but it looks so messy and rude most of the time. I think it should be illegal everywhere. People can use a paper to write their opinions or draw instead of walls.

DrewH's picture
DrewH 2 April, 2014 - 05:19

Remember that it is illegal in most places but it still happens. So maybe there is another way to discourage bad graffiti in our society?

justcricketforme 5 April, 2014 - 11:31

Both but you'd find scribbles more. There's this road, Jail road, I guess or some other where you find art on walls drawn by school kids of a litter-free Earth, Pakistani people and many other.

serap's picture
serap 18 March, 2014 - 16:01

Grafitti is not common in here, but I really like it. It definetely looks interesting and attractive.

DrewH's picture
DrewH 2 April, 2014 - 05:27

It's not for everyone. Personally I can't resist a big, beautiful, colourful piece of art in a place that would be ugly otherwise.