Great Scot! A Burns Night Dinner

13
Jane Bristow

Each year Scottish people across the world celebrate an unique dinner known as ‘Burns Night’. This is to remember a famous Scottish poet called Robert Burns. Traditionally it happens on his birthday, the 25th January. Scotland can be very dark and cold at this time of year so it’s an excellent reason to enjoy a large dinner with friends and family. Burns is still an important figure in Scotland and even though he died in 1796 at the age of 37, he was recently voted ‘The Greatest Scot’. His birthday has become as important as Scotland’s national day, St Andrew’s Day.

The idea for a dinner started over two hundred years ago soon after his death, and these days is actually quite a complicated affair so here’s a guide how to have a ‘Burns Night’:

To start people are sat down at the table and the host reads a poem called The Selkirk Grace. It’s normally done in a Scottish dialect which even English people find difficult to understand, but here you can find it translated into English as well: http://www.rampantscotland.com/poetry/blpoems_grace.htm. Although Burns probably didn't actually write this he is known to have read it at a dinner. Next soup is served.

The highlight though is listening to a bagpiper playing as the main course of haggis arrives. You might want to watch this clip to see how unique this part is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5t_d4Nb2fE (it really has to be seen to be believed). Haggis is a special dish made from a mixture of sheep heart, lung and liver and oats, which is a bit like a giant sausage and surprisingly tasty. So tasty in fact that Robert Burns wrote a poem about it called Address to a Haggis and you can watch it being performed here along with subtitles translating it into standard English: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kzYaIphbzU. Once this is finished there’s a whisky toast (of course) to the haggis and people can finally eat.

After dinner there’s a speaker, who may recite more poetry, and a toast is made to the memory of Robert Burns. Next a male guest makes a funny speech about ladies and a female quest replies with a funny speech about men. Throughout the rest of the night there is even more of Burns’ poetry and lots more whiskey. As a one-off dinner experience this is hard to beat.

Are there any celebrations in your country to remember famous writers? Would you like to go to a Burns Night Dinner?

onedirectionlover2002's picture
onedirectionlov... 21 May, 2013 - 14:47

No, I don't think so but I think its nice to celebrate these things. I wish my country did have it.

Natalija 20 March, 2013 - 18:14

No, we don't celebrate, although we have great writers. I think it's pity. It's a great idea to have that kind of celebration and all countries should have.

marli's picture
marli 13 March, 2013 - 15:41

We dont celebrate this kind of celebrations, even in my country are a lot of famous writers/

MALINE 3 March, 2013 - 13:55

No, We don´t celebrate any famous writer even when we have lots of them,that´s a shame

sunbeam's picture
sunbeam 19 February, 2013 - 17:51

No, my country do not have any celebrations in to remember famous writers. But I want to my country have similar celebrations, because many famous writers and poets was born in my country.

Ilda G's picture
Ilda G 29 January, 2013 - 15:46

We don't have any celebrations dedictated to our famous writers and this is not sth good because we have some good writers that need more attention..

Just Era's picture
Just Era 27 January, 2013 - 08:15

Our President gives prices to our famous writers,but we don't have any celebrations dedicated to famous writers

Demy's picture
Demy 21 January, 2013 - 10:15

Yes,of course I would like to go there)
In Ukraine the bigest celebrations about writer is day of birth Taras Shevchenko.
He is Famous Ukrainian poet and painter.He made a great contribution to the development of Ukrainian literature and art.Thanks him we have a lot of wonderful poems and paintings.