Halloween activities

EllaO

The traditions of Halloween have long been rooted in Christianity, as an event that was originally observed by Christians to mourn the dead. Now, however, trick or treating (dressing up and knocking on neighbours' doors to play a trick or collect sweets) seems to be one of the most popular ways to celebrate Halloween. However, if you feel you're too old to dress up and go trick or treating, how about getting together in teams with some friends and doing these activities?

1. Pumpkin carving - show off your artistic talent and get into the spirit of Halloween by doing some pumpkin carving. If you're stuck for ideas, there are lots on the internet with step-by-step guides. 

2. Apple bobbing - fill two tubs of water with some apples and do a relay. Remember, you can only use your teeth to retrieve the apple - no arms or feet are allowed! 

3. String doughnuts - tie a piece of string around the hole of the doughnut and attach it to the ceiling or a tree in the garden. The aim of the game is to eat the doughnut the fastest, only using your teeth, without letting it drop on the ground. 

4. The mummy - you'll need one toilet roll and in teams of three/four, select one person to be 'mummified'. When the clock starts, start wrapping the roll around your mummy, covering as much of their clothes / flesh as possible. The team with the most-wrapped 'mummy' wins, but points can also be given out for creativity.

5. Spider web - in a circle, grab the hands of two other people who are not next to you, then see if you can untwist yourselves without letting go. 

Or, if you fancy something frightening, have a look in the shops for some horror films. I know that 'The Blair Witch Project' comes highly recommended! 

Do you celebrate Halloween or does your country have a different special event at this time of year? 

ozicimnapiyon's picture
ozicimnapiyon 31 October, 2017 - 14:50

ı would like to celebrate hallowen party i like it very much. But ı live in turkey and we dont celebrate hallowen party

akabane001's picture
-8x
akabane001 30 October, 2017 - 14:25

We don't have a real halloween day , but we still prefer watching horror film at this time so as to celebrate it by ourselves. The nearest holiday in my country is the vietnamese women's day on the 20 th of october and the teacher's day on the 20 th of november.

Blue_Alligator's picture
Blue_Alligator 10 November, 2016 - 12:56

In Poland some people like Halloween, but most of the population hate it. There are a lot of them who try to ruin this day. But I really enjoy dressing up and giving sweets.

pink_cat's picture
pink_cat 4 November, 2016 - 13:31

In Poland most people do not celebrate Halloween but I celebrate it with my friends. I like to visit people and ask them for a candy. When people don`t give me candies, good fun is to carve pumpkins with friends.

Guruu's picture
Guruu 22 October, 2014 - 16:44

I m from Czech Republic. We never celebrate Haloween, we have Dušičky which is quite similar to that but less interesting and exciting. During Dušičky you just go to a cemetery and put some flowers and other stuff like that on the grave. I can t really imagine dressing up or parties....

Nyssandre's picture
Nyssandre 21 October, 2014 - 14:26

Well, in France, this is a bit different. When I was a child, a lot of people celebrated Halloween. Children were dressed as littles monsters, houses were decorated with pumpkins and teenagers made a lot of parties and sometimes, they disturbed the neighbourhood... But now, it's nearly forbidden. Too bad. I wonder if I will do something for Halloween...