Happy New Year!

24
JohnR

Welcome to 2015, as we mark another year over and look towards a bright and happy 365 days. The big Christmas bellies are finally finished with partying and filling up with food and now it is time to start losing the weight.

There are many traditions related to New Year in the UK. More than anything, it is a time to be with family and loved ones. Despite having eaten so much food at Christmas, my family traditionally still comes together for a nice meal in one of our houses on New Year's Eve. We eat lots of different food that we have left after Christmas. Normally there are a lot of sweets and fizzy drinks left from the week before. We also play games together and remember funny stories from throughout the year.

As it approaches midnight, we all gather in front of the television to watch one of the many shows that count down to the new year. We watch the highlights of the previous year's events and bands playing live. As the countdown approaches we all stand together in a circle. As the countdown begins we all cross our arms and hold each other's hands. When the coundown reaches zero, we welcome in the new year by singing Auld Lang Syne, the famous poem by Scottish poet Robert Burns turned into a song. We do this to wish everyone well in the upcoming year and to remember the year we have had together.

When the new year is brought in there are fireworks displays all over the UK to celebrate its arrival. The biggest occur in the largest cities but the most famous is in Edinburgh. New Year's Eve is called Hogmanay in Scotland and the fireworks display and live bands are undoubtedly some of the best in the world. Everyone gathers in the main street and park to watch as the fireworks are set off from Edinburgh Castle in a spectacular show that you will remember for the whole year.

At the start of each year, people in the UK make resolutions which are promises we will keep for the year and hopefully beyond. These can range from being nicer to our family and friends to giving up smoking or helping the poor. We try to keep these for as long as possible. One of mine is to get healthier by going to the gym.

How do you celebrate New Year?

JoEditor's picture
JoEditor 8 January, 2015 - 13:36

Hi honeymery,
I'm sorry but you can't write long essays or lectures on our site. At the moment we only have space and resources for our users to write comments. 
Thanks a lot. 
Best wishes, Jo (LearnEnglish Teens Team) 

honeymery's picture
honeymery 2 January, 2015 - 14:50

Happy new year
our new year is different from yours and it is on 21 of march we call it Norooz and it is special for Iranian people . it is good that we can celebrate 2 Feast . but any way Happy new year everyone .

JohnR's picture
JohnR 1 January, 2015 - 22:43

Happy New Year everyone.

I hope you all have a fantastic 2015 and that you continue to enjoy this magazine. Hopefully I can write another article for you all very soon, once I return to Spain!

Tunisian123's picture
Tunisian123 4 January, 2015 - 17:14

Thank you for all your amazing and intresting articles...!!!!
It helps me so much during studying sometimes...Thanks again !! :)

JohnR's picture
JohnR 8 January, 2015 - 09:30

I´m glad you like them.
I´ll do my best to keep creating them. Let me know if there is anything specific that you would like help with!
John

Tunisian123's picture
Tunisian123 10 January, 2015 - 13:03

Hello...thanks a lot for your nice question sir !!
Well actually my english teacher asked us to write a long article about violence at school..
And in Internet i can't find enough information... besides i found all the information are repeated so i hope that you could write an article about violence at school..and thank you very much again...!!!
Good Luck !!! :)

JohnR's picture
JohnR 13 January, 2015 - 09:40

I will do my best to write an article about it this week. It won´t be extremely factual and will mainly be my opinion on it but I hope that it is at least some information in English for you to use.

Thank you for the suggestion!

Tunisian123's picture
Tunisian123 1 January, 2015 - 18:49

Hi sir...Happy new year !!
I think that being with family is much better than hanging out and yelling in the streets.. because the family is the most important thing in our life.... i also think that watching tv with family together and talking about life about things and laughing and being together is really awesome...!!! So that's what i think actually ...
Happy new year to all !!! :)
#Welcome__2015
:D

kieungoc's picture
kieungoc 1 January, 2015 - 10:48

i can find hot atmosphere at your countries in our news.firework is great,and all the people is very excited.i wish i cound be there.

JohnR's picture
JohnR 8 January, 2015 - 09:32

It can be an extremely exciting time. Unfortunately with lots of fireworks it can also be quite dangerous.
We are very lucky because we have some amazing parties at New Year to celebrate and lots of opportunities to meet with friends and family.
Now that I am back in Palma de Mallorca, I miss the rain and hiding in a pub to stay warm.
John

AmjadA143's picture
AmjadA143 31 December, 2014 - 21:07

First of all I will look at the last year 2014 that i spent. I'll see my good and bad habits. I will change myself. I will give up my bad habits. then i will try to stop the evil activities in my city. I will do such work/acts that are very good for me and my family. i hope new year will be very good for me and country.

JohnR's picture
JohnR 8 January, 2015 - 09:36

That sounds like a very noble and profound way to start 2015. I hope it works well for you! Everyone could use a bit of help this year and the best people are the ones who do everything they can to make the world better. I hope that you are able to bring light and good will to your city in Pakistan.

I am giving up my bad habits as well and I hope to be able to offer some free English lessons to the children here who want to learn English. I hope you have an amazing 2015.

John

JohnR's picture
JohnR 8 January, 2015 - 20:44

Sounds like a perfect start to 2015. I hope you have a fantastic year. I think I spent the whole time sleeping the next day!

John

JohnR's picture
JohnR 8 January, 2015 - 09:40

That sounds like an amazing idea. Good luck improving yourself. I hope I can as well. It is very difficult but it is worth it. Hopefully it will help me be a better teacher.

John

AmjadA143's picture
AmjadA143 31 December, 2014 - 20:57

A.A I hope you will change your bad habits/negative things etc. may this year will bring happiness for you

jasminemeer's picture
jasminemeer 31 December, 2014 - 05:16

Happy new year to all !!!May this year bring much happiness than our past years.We usually celebrate new year by gather around the TV and by seeing "new year" programmes.Again Happy New Year........!!!

JohnR's picture
JohnR 8 January, 2015 - 20:46

Happy New Year Jasmine. I hope you have a fantastic year and that 2015 brings you lots of happiness!
John

jasminemeer's picture
jasminemeer 12 January, 2015 - 12:23

Thank you so much sir !!!May this year also bring more happiness for you and be the best year of your life.......

JohnR's picture
JohnR 13 January, 2015 - 09:48

Thank you! If you have anything that you would like me to write about then please let me know!
John