Heroine of France

15
CatrionaL

It is currently the school holidays in France and I have two weeks off from teaching. I thought this would be a great opportunity for me to explore the region that I am living in. I am one week into the holiday and I have just returned from a short trip to Orléans. I went with some other language assistants, we stayed for two nights in an apartment along the Loire Valley. During our stay we discovered the history of Joan of Arc (in France she is known as Jeanne d’Arc) and we learnt about her victory at the Battle of Orleans. Joan of Arc is considered a French heroine and she is an important part of French Heritage. In the main square of Orléans, Place de Gaulle, there is a huge statue of Joan of Arc on a horse. She is in her armour and claiming victory. The house where she lived in Orléans has also been made into a museum celebrating her life and the sacrifices that she made for France.

So how did Joan of Arc become considered a heroine of France? Joan of Arc is also known as The Maid of Orléans. She was born in 1412 in Domrémy, Bar, France. At the age of 18 she led the French army to victory over the British at Orléans in the Hundred Year’s War. She was captured a year later and burned at the stake as a heretic by the English and their French collaborators. She was named as a Roman Catholic saint more than 500 years later in 1920. The Hundred Years War was a battle over who was the rightful king of France. Joan of Arc began to have visions that portrayed her as the saviour of France. She went to see Charles VII, who was considered to be the rightful heir of the throne. After long discussions Charles VII agreed to let Joan of Arc accompany the French army to the battle where she later conquered the English. Joan of Arc was a young girl and her bravery and actions to protect France were unheard of for a woman. Joan of Arc is one of the most powerful female figures in French history.

Learning about the history of Joan of Arc was really interesting and allowed me to understand how important she is in French culture. France is very proud of Joan of Arc.

Tell us about a hero or heroine from your country. 

gianggiang 1 November, 2015 - 10:49

....No one love Ho Chi Minh president than Vietnamese children and teenagers......
The biggest pain of Vietnamese people is Ho Chi Minh's death.
Ho Chi Minh president- our great hero.
Ho Chi Minh's real name is Nguyen Sinh Cung. He was born on 19th May 1890 in Kim Lien village, Nghe An province and passed away on 2nd, September 1969. ( Annually, 2nd September is the independence day of Vietnam). He spent his lifetime fighting for freedom and independence of my country. His life had so many difficulties. He lived abroad from 1911 to 1941 and tried to find the right way to lead Vietnam peoples' uprising, helped us escape from slavery. He was also a famous writer, poet, journalist and politician.He could speak nine languages and in France, he published a newspaper which showed the crime of French's war in Vietnam. After that, he was forced to live in prison in China. In those miserable situations, he wrote so many poems about peace and hope.
He died at the age of 79 when the war between America and Vietnam were continuing. He only wanted Vietnamese people to have peace and liberation. We didn't make him feel disappointed, we fought bravely for 6 years ( 1969-1975) and finally we won, American army had to accept the failure and came back its country.
Ho Chi Minh president had so many famous saying, I don't talented enough to translate them into English. These sayings give us determinations and courage to study and develop our country.
Nowaday,his embalmed body is on display in Ho Chi Minh mausoleum in Hanoi- the capital of Vietnam and Ho Chi Minh statue is everywhere in the world: Cuba, Russia, France, India, Venezuela, Madagasca, Hungary...A lot of foreign musician composed song about him.
Ho Chi Minh was recognized as the" hero of national liberation and great man of culture" by UNESCO in 1990. We are so proud of this.
....Saigon city is another name of Ho Chi Minh city, it is a young and modern city of my country. ( It isn't as ancient and traditional as Hanoi), HCM city is a mix of culture in the world.
...My country, it has the most beautiful flower: lotus flower.
...My country, it has the bravest and kindest people.
...My country, it has the greatest hero : Ho Chi Minh president.
...My country, it has been completely independent for 40 years, It's a neither short nor long time but it's enough for my country to be stronger and to develop rapidly.
................I love my country, where has bamboo forests, green paddy fields and rivers.
................I love my country, where has tall buildings, big factories being under construction.
................I respect my country, where soldiers ( including my uncle) fought and died for the freedom of our hometown.
Right, there is a fact that my country isn't as rich and modern as European countries or Japan or the USA, but I love it so much.
We had a lot of wars. so we understand how important the peace is!
We have a lot of sadness, so we know how precious the happiness is!
We have a lot of difficulties waiting for on the road to success, but we smile and pass it.
Because we know that " Rainbows always turns up after rains".
My country has many heroes, and today, I am writing eagerly to tell you about one of them: Ho Chi Minh president./.

Elsa007 2 November, 2015 - 06:46

Hi Giang,
You're so enthusiastic, aren't you?!
Now I've got the history of your country and how great Ho Chi Minh is!
I've never been to Vietnam but I love Vietnamese food!
Do you know more about your neighbor countries? I'd like to know how friendly your country is. :)

gianggiang 2 November, 2015 - 13:05

Hi Elsa,
I feel very happy when you were patient enough to read my essay.There is a fact that our History and Geography textbooks are very thick, they are full of information about ASEAN, China,India....( At the end of this school year, we learn a lot about Euro and America.) Therefore, there are no surprises if I know a lot about members of ASEAN and our neighbor country( China- Although I'm not interested in Chinese history and literature,I have to study them ( so much)).
( Recently, we have learnt about Literature of India and Japan, they are much greater.)
Moreover, AEC is going to be founded at the end of this year. ( 31st Dec,2015), so Vietnamese young people should have good preparations for it. Vietnam has become a member of TPP!! ( Great).
My country is very friendly and nobody can deny that Vietnamese women are very graceful and beautiful when they wear "ao dai"- our traditional dress. In some regions in Vietnam, teen girls often wear ao- dai to go to school. I feel very jealous of them. ( "Ao dai" is really beautiful and charming.)
Now, here are my questions:
1) Do you know Girish Kumar?
2) Which university did Lee Kuan Yew (the first prime minister) graduate from?
They are pieces of cake, aren't they?
( I am eager to tell you everything about my country without feeling tired.)..

Elsa007 3 November, 2015 - 06:41

Hi giang! Your writing is very informative. I think I will be able to get a high score in a history test if questions are about Vietnam!
Don't worry, giang, I don't need any patience to read your writing, rather I'm lured to your love of Vietnam, to Pho-smelling world… :P
Well, about your questions! They are not pieces of cake actually, I didn't even know Girish Kumar. So I googled… and...
1) He's a Bollywood actor!
2) London University & Cambridge University
Are they correct?

Well, my turn.
Question: Lee Kuan Yew came from a traditional Chinese ethnic group. Do you know the name and the features of the culture?
Elsa ☆

gianggiang 3 November, 2015 - 09:42

Hi, Elsa
I can't answer your question and ...LKY was a 4th-generation Singaporean of Hakka and Chinese Peranakan descent. ( I know my answer is wrong or it completely doesn't relate to your question.). Tell me, tell me.
By the way, Girish Kumar is a very talented student in Singapore. He got a big prize from Google for inventing a good program, ( He's a student of NUS high school.)

gianggiang 5 November, 2015 - 13:38

Hi sona, I didn't know about your hero until I read your introduction. Our world has so many heroes !
Do you know Meiji ? He was the King of Japan. He made decisions which changed Japan society when he was only fifteen years old. Very very talented!

sona's picture
sona 7 November, 2015 - 14:40

Hi giangiang,
I didn't know about Meiji,but he seemed to be a real hero and very talented as you have written. Thank you for sharing this information with me.

Ken 6 November, 2015 - 08:32

Hello, interesting! I learned about Meiji, I think the emperor had a Proctor, we don't know mych about him. Because he was "God" at that time and is almost a legend. Weird, isn't it?
=͟͟͞͞٩(๑☉ᴗ☉)੭ु⁾⁾

Elsa007 3 November, 2015 - 13:41

Hi Giang! BIngo, almost!
The answer is 'Hakka'. You know, people from the Western world often describe Chinese culture as typified by a pigtail and clothes of Manchu in Qin Dynasty. But that era of the las emperor only lasted less than 300 years and Manchu is an ethnic minority in the whole history of mainland China. Han people account for 90% and Hakka people is a part of them but they have very unique culture.
I hope you will have a chance to look up in more detail. Soon you'll be a polymath! ☆
By the way, giang, did you know there are different unique cultures in the UK as well? ;)

gianggiang 5 November, 2015 - 13:51

Hi Elsa, haha I often watched Chinese films three or five years ago and I saw lots of men who had pigtails and wore special clothes but I didn't realise. I guess that I watched more Chinese films than Vietnamese films. Now, the Hallyu waves are affecting strongly to Vietnamese teenagers. Does they affect to your country? ( The answer is "Yes")

Ken 6 November, 2015 - 08:52

Hey, intresting topic! I know Hanryu big waves in Japan a while ago but they've gone. I've heard that bad foreign affairs affected to the fans who expected happy feelings, not feelings which set their nerve on edge. It's a shame but very simple...
₍₍ ᕕ(´ ω` )ᕗ⁾⁾

gianggiang 7 November, 2015 - 08:46

Nice to meet you Ken.
"Hallyu wave" is a word used to express the affection of Korean culture to other countries, and Korean singers, actresses. actors and Korean films have strong influence.

sona's picture
sona 27 October, 2015 - 17:51

I'm from Albania and our national hero is Scanderberg. He was born in 1405 in Albania and he died in 1468. However,he was grown at sulltan's palace,where he learned to fight and he became an important part of Ottoman army. During a battle in Hungary,the Ottomans lost,so Scanderbeg decided to go in Albania(in that time it was called Arberi). He made the Albanian princes together , he led his country to victory against the strong Ottoman Empire,so he become the leader of Arberi. Even though he was short ,he was a strong figher ,as he fights with heart and brain. For these reasons,there are many books written in honour of Scanderbeg by foreings and Albanians writter. He is known as a "Defender of Christianity". There are many sculpture of Scanderbeg not just in Tirana,our capital city,but even in Usa,France,Argentina,Kosovo.