Home comforts

5
BlakeS

My placement in France is the first time that I have been separated from my family and away from my house for many months. It has been very rewarding to be independent and to have complete freedom over my life. But I have also realised that there are many things from home which I miss.

One of the home comforts I miss is the mugs at my house. I know, it's bit strange, isn't it? The thing is I find it very comforting to have a hot drink from my favourite mug. Another thing I miss is having books to read. Of course, there’s plenty to read on the internet. But some days I would just like to feel the texture of the paper and the weight of a good book in my hands. Books are big and heavy items, so unfortunately I couldn’t fit any in my suitcase when I came to France. A final thing I miss is having carpet on the floor. My house in France has a wooden floor. It’s easy to clean, but it does get very cold. My feet are always freezing, so I have to wear slippers all the time! Also, It has been ages since I could sit down on a sofa, or have a hot bath, or even eat cheddar cheese. These are all things I will really look forward to when I get back home.

But there will definitely be things about France that I will miss, too. I will miss the friends, both British and French, that I have made here. I will miss the French architecture, the beautiful countryside and 3-course lunches. I’m starting to think about all this as my work placement comes to an end. There is a saying, “you don’t know what you’ve got until it’s gone.” From my experience, I’ve found this to be true. Some of the smallest things in life are the things you miss the most. Being away from home has taught me to appreciate the little things in life!

What are your favourite 'home comforts'?

BlakeS's picture
BlakeS 4 May, 2015 - 14:31

Thanks for your comments everyone! I know what you mean - sometimes the nicest thing can be sitting at home in your favourite chair. I missed my home a lot while I was away. I'm really happy to be back with my family again. I also enjoy listening to music, reading books, watching TV and playing video games - it does seem a bit lazy!

Elsa007 1 May, 2015 - 09:12

I have my favorite cozy space at home: Sitting on a chair resting my legs on ........ at a corner of a room where I can view greens, sky and clouds and hear birds singing from a small window. That's my home comfort! Another thing is a sofa where I lie on when watching TV, listening music and reading books! ...oops! I didn't mean to disclose my lazy life at home!!

Well for me my all the stuff at home or you can say that my home is comfortable because I really miss it every time I go any where I miss it a lot. Well who don't miss the home?? Everyone do! So I think I can't live without my home and it's my comfort.

iva10 29 April, 2015 - 16:42

I like when i go out on the balcony so i can watch the sunset it beautiful and that i like the most.I was three days with my school on a trip and i missed my home,i m really glad that i m back.And i have a question is anyone who is a member of this sate 12 years old except me?

Jonathan - Coor... 30 April, 2015 - 05:53

Hi iva10. Thanks for your comments, but this website is for teenagers and posting comments is only allowed for 13-17 year olds. You can check our House Rules here. In the meantime, you can join LearnEnglish Kids and post messages there, and please rejoin us when you are 13. Thanks :)