Monday, 15 January, 2018 - 09:27

How to travel on a budget

by EmilyBlogger2017

Everyone loves travelling, right? Unfortunately, depending on where you want to go, money can sometimes be a problem … but not if you’re prepared. Here are my top tips for making the most of your travel experience, no matter how much you have in the bank!

Tip 1: Decide where you'll go, based on your budget.

The cost of your trip can depend greatly on the countries and cities you want to visit. So, knowing the average costs in a country can help you plan and decide the best option for your next trip. For example, countries like France, Italy, the UK and the USA can be pretty expensive to visit, so you’ll need more money for a holiday in these places. By contrast, Eastern Europe, South-East Asia and South America are cheaper (in Poland, a three-course meal for two people costs 100 zlotys – about £21!) and they still offer great cultural experiences and rich histories.

Tip 2: Choose hostels and campsites.

Yes, everyone loves the luxury of a five-star hotel. But sadly, in a lot of places, this is just not realistic for those on a budget. That’s why whenever I travel to countries which I know are expensive, I choose to stay in hostels or campsites. Hostels are a sure way to meet other travellers and this creates a great atmosphere, giving you potential travelling companions whilst also saving money. Camping is also a great choice for budget accommodation, especially if you’re a person who enjoys the outdoors. However, I would only recommend camping if you’ll be travelling during the summer months!

Tip 3: Don’t always rely on restaurants.

Another advantage of staying in hostels is that you will always have access to a kitchen. Eating meals in a restaurant can be very expensive, so you can easily save by cooking your own breakfast, lunch and dinner. Many cities have markets where you can buy fresh food and vegetables on the cheap, and if you feel brave you could even try to make the popular cuisine of the country.

Tip 4: Look for discounts on major attractions.

Obviously when you’re travelling you want to see everything the country has to offer, including the attractions which bring millions of people every year. But before paying a fee to see these, you can research and see if it’s possible to see them for less. Many tourist attractions have a student or youth discount and some attractions are free for everyone on certain days, like the Louvre Museum in Paris which offers free entry on the first Sunday of every month.

So you see, if you come prepared, you can easily travel the world, no matter what your budget is!

Which countries have you visited, and where would you like to travel to?

Submitted by chunchen14 on Wed, 10/05/2022 - 22:43

I have visited Mexico city, was a pretty cool travel i´ve visit museums, and touristic places

Submitted by Yahir on Thu, 10/28/2021 - 01:00

I never visited any country, but, i would like to visit United States, because, i would like visit DisneyLand, and would like visit Englant to meet Abbey Road and the Freddy´s house

Submitted by ALFM on Thu, 10/28/2021 - 00:58

I have not visited any country, But i would like to travel to France, United kingdom and Canada

Submitted by Erickson0505 on Thu, 10/28/2021 - 00:55

I have gone only to one country that country is United States, I want to wo to France but our plans were frustated by th COVID-19

Submitted by Edu on Thu, 10/28/2021 - 00:48

Hello. I would like to visit Belgium, Japan, Italy and China

Submitted by cin on Thu, 10/28/2021 - 00:44

Well, I have never really visited another country, but my parents have, they have visited France and the United States. From what they told me, I really want to visit them, I would also like to travel to Germany, Italy and Brazil, I would very much like to know the architecture and food of those countries.
Profile picture for user Andrii

Submitted by Andrii on Sat, 01/11/2020 - 14:09

I've been to many European countries including Germany, France, Poland and Italy. Also I've been to some countries of Asia. And I really want to visit South America. I love travelling because it's exciting!

Submitted by jasonbeaumont123 on Tue, 10/22/2019 - 14:47

Hello i'm Jason. I've visited Hong Kong and New York so i don't really have traveled cheap. i stayed always in a hotel so it was very expensive but i know you can stay in a cheap hotel that is luxury for his price. Travel on a budget is good for when you go on a trip with friends. And indeed you save much money if you don't go to a restaurant everyday. I think everyone who goes on a trip looks for the cheapest prices for tourist attractions. You have always attractions who are giving reductions like the louvre in Paris which offers free entry the first Sunday of every month.
Profile picture for user empty

Submitted by empty on Sat, 08/10/2019 - 06:28

I have visited a few countries and i love travelling . I would like to travel to Argentina and Germany .
Profile picture for user ShadowHunter

Submitted by ShadowHunter on Mon, 04/02/2018 - 03:22

I visited a lot of countries because I love traveling. I have visited Spain, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Costa Rica, France, Irland, United Kingdom, Canada, Norway... I would like to travel to Italy and Fiji, and an asian country, maybe Japan or South Korea, and also visit some africain's country.
Profile picture for user SLMT

Submitted by SLMT on Fri, 02/09/2018 - 18:41

I have visited to South Kore,Vietnam and Singapore.I’m planning to visit to Bangkok next month after my exam is finished.The place where I am dying to visit is Bali .It’s very popular among Instragramers.I really really really want to go there.Bali is paradise for me :)
English courses near you