The hype of Christmas

18
SabrinaG

Christmas in Britain seems to go on for most of the year! As soon as it starts to get cold people begin counting down the days until Christmas. As much as I love the Christmas period, I feel that starting the celebrations so early detracts from the true Christmas spirit.

At the start of November one of my neighbours had put up their Christmas tree and decorations. Christmas songs have already been playing on the radio for weeks and most of the adverts on television are advertising Christmas food and gift ideas. The radio and local newspapers are always reporting some ‘celebrity’ turning on the Christmas lights in local shopping centres and towns. Pubs and restaurants put on over-priced Christmas menus all through November and December forcing everyone to eat turkey and mince pies. The supermarkets are filled with Christmas ‘party food’ and cafés are selling turkey and cranberry sandwiches. It is just impossible to escape from the Christmas hype.

I, like most people, enjoy Christmas but I think it should last for two weeks, not two months. Instead Christmas has become commercialised. We are persuaded to buy things that in reality we have no need for; how many reindeer jumpers and snowman slippers can one person have!

The things I love most about Christmas are already being spoilt by being done to the extreme. By the time Christmas comes I will already be sick of the over-played Christmas songs and have had enough of mince pies and Christmas jumpers!

Luckily as soon as January comes around and Christmas finally ends, the shops will move on to their next endeavour; selling Easter eggs!

Do you celebrate Christmas? Do you agree with Sabrina that there's too much hype surrounding Christmas?

Natalija 23 March, 2013 - 11:03

Christmas is my favourite holiday. I have so many traditions about it and I like everything to be perfect for day.

sailor moon's picture
sailor moon 2 July, 2013 - 12:35

hi Natalija
I agree with you. I like your comment. I live in italy and i celebrate Christmas `cause i`m a cristian.

lust's picture
lust 10 January, 2013 - 18:03

I am from Russia and I fully agree with the author of the article. Here it is the simillar situation. By the way It is not a secret that Russians mostly celebrate the New Year than Christmas. For instance some families don't know the real meaning of the holiday and have never taken part in a Mass. Sometimes I think that Europe is more religious than Russia..That is weird.

Aziza kerimli's picture
Aziza kerimli 9 January, 2013 - 17:22

i am from Azerbaijan and i like this holidays too.. i had a good time with my family in new years day !

semper_fidelis's picture
semper_fidelis 5 January, 2013 - 15:02

I'm from Ukraine. I like this holiday very much, but in our country it celebrated not as fun as in Britain. Ukrainians are preparing to it not so scrupulously, and buy everything necessary before the holiday. But even in our country we have the spirit of Christmas))))

Jelena S's picture
Jelena S 18 December, 2012 - 16:22

Yes,we do.In Montenegro Christmas is a family reunion.It`s fun.We still din`t have that much atmosfere,it`s because we selebrate christmas on 7 th January.I adore Christmas<3

p2's picture
p2 16 December, 2012 - 15:38

yes, i agree with you, the commercialization of that gala event is not expected, i think the main occation looses its soul by too much hullaballow.. but still, it provides a source of income and thus brings smile to a good number of people, isn't it??

xhevichani1's picture
xhevichani1 13 December, 2012 - 15:38

I am muslim...In albania have many muslim,but have and christian too....... I think this celebration is very good..and i like it

Anns's picture
Anns 11 December, 2012 - 22:30

I love Christmas' atmosphere. In my city everything starts in the end of november and we can't wait for the 25 of December, but I agree with Sabrina because today Christmas became just like an excuse to spend more than the normal. I think that the real spirit of the Christmas is in the union of the family and friends. We all know, at Christmas humans are more gentle :)

LiliyaM's picture
LiliyaM 8 December, 2012 - 16:57

Yes)I love Christmas!But in Ukraine don`t many people celebrate this holiday.In this day we go to the castle and put candle for our grandparents,parents and friends.