If you've got the money ...

12
KatieI

“If you’ve got the money ...”

Now, you may or may not know that Jamie-T’s famous lyrics actually continue like this:

“If you’ve got the money,
I think it would be funny-oh-oh-oh,
To take your girl and spend a bit of your cash for me”

But it’s the first line alone that I’m really interested in; “If you’ve got the money”... Don’t get me wrong, I’m a strong believer that ‘money doesn’t buy happiness’ but I do think that it takes a huge weight off your shoulders and helps to provide a sense of peace and security, especially for the future.  But the lyrics “if you’ve got the money” transport us into a dream world where money is no object and subconsciously force us to think of every single decadent thing we would do and buy...

Yet, whilst a world with an abundance of money would be great, I can’t help but think that a world without money would be even better.  There’s a great video on YouTube called “What if money didn’t matter?” by Alan Watts and it’s honestly worth a watch (even if it’s just for his voice...)  In short, he argues that a life lived to the fullest, doing what you love doing is a lot more valuable than any sum of money offered for doing a job that you hate.  I know, in theory it is a lot easier said than done.  After all, we all need to make a living some how; we all need to eat and a place to sleep at night and the only way to achieve that is by earning money to afford it.

However, the video really did make me think.  I’m twenty years old and between me and you, I honestly have no idea what I what to do in the future (scary, huh?)  Sure, I have a great education behind me and plenty of options that I could peruse, but do I want to?  No.  Each question the video fired at me, “What would you like to do if money were no objet? How would you really enjoy spending your life?” they all lead to one answer: cooking.  There’s nothing I would rather do than to wake up in the mornings and head to my own little restaurant where I would cook and bake to my heart’s (and customers’) content.  And then the little question that society has etched so deeply into us popped up, “But what about the money ...”  It’s easy enough having these dreams and aspirations but it’s kind of hard to achieve them without money for the start-up costs to begin with.     

So for the time being, I’m going to carry on working hard in hope that one day I too can say that I lived a “life that is full of doing what it is you like doing (rather) than a long life that is spent in a miserable way”. 

Note from the editor: You can watch the video that Katie mentions here: http://youtu.be/je3rQevW-cw

How important do you think it is to choose a job that you love? How important is money to you?!

sona's picture
sona 6 December, 2015 - 13:57

The money are becoming more important in our world,so there are many people who would choose a job that offers a lot of money than a job that they love. However,I think in a different way. I would choose a job,that I love ,because this way my life would be more beautiful,I would be happier and what is more important,I would work more effictevely and I would contibute better in the society.

dzeni 21 February, 2014 - 13:36

I think it is very important to choose a job that we love because we will do that job whole life. Money is important too but maybe we will not be happy doing that job. It is better to be happy than be rich.

RAGSANA99's picture
RAGSANA99 6 January, 2014 - 17:05

İ think money means many things But it isn t everything in the world My mother works from morning till night because of it.Without it I can t imagine the life

learningenglish282's picture
learningenglish282 1 January, 2014 - 16:12

Choosing a job that we love gives us passion, inspiration and strength to work, therefore, we will have more chance to success and overcome the difficulties more easily.
i think money is very important as very thing needs money. If we have more money, we can have a better life. When we have a better life we can give money to others and we all have a healthy and happy life, don't we :D ?

cranberry's picture
cranberry 20 December, 2013 - 16:40

There is an English saying " If you choos a job you love, you will never work another day". I can`t say that money isn`t important, actually it`s one of the resons you are doing the job. But when you choos a nice job, and you are doing someting you enjoy and your getting paid for it so it`s a win win situation. So when i grow up i will follow my dream and even though it will be hard to succeed i`m willing to take on the challange

bow's picture
bow 20 December, 2013 - 16:22

I think that it's really important to love what you're doing,because if you don't like your job you won't fell very happy.And it's true that many people think only on money but it's maybe because they don't have much money.Sure I have lots of time to think about my future but I already know what I want to be whem I grow up :)

Niluh 20 December, 2013 - 15:00

It's extremely important, i've heard quote "Do what you love and love what you do". I have had training job in travel agent, that's compulsory so all students in my class have to pass it. Worked as a ticketing is not as easy as i thought, i've been stressed all the time about making any mistakes on ticket booking. Despite i was only a trainer but my boss appreciated what i did for her company, she paid me every month, not all students who had training job got salary like me, i was lucky.
Money is important as well, when i get a job my first consideration is about the salary, how much will i get from that job. I agree that it's hard to find a job that we love with good salary, but in the future i will make a lot of money with a job that suits with me.

Harabeli Supersweet 20 December, 2013 - 13:58

I think it's really important to love what you do. Only this way we can feel happy. But money is important too, so when we choose a job, we should think about the salary too. For example, there are some really interesting jobs, but they're not appriciated enough in specific places, so you can't afford a living by doing them. I'm not sure about my future career, but I'll think about my dreams and the other things that a job can offer me.

Natalija 20 December, 2013 - 13:54

I think it's the most important to choose a job that you like. If you don't like your job, you won't be motivated to progress and you won't do it properly. I know many people who chose their jobs just because of money, but it didn't make them happy. If people do job they're not really interested in, they may become bitter, unhappy and not content with their lives.
On the other hand, money is very important because you can do nothing without it. I can't choose only one from these-loving your job or having money. Both is important.
I'll soon have to decide whether I'll study law or medicine. I want to be a lawyer, but on the other hand, being a doctor provides more money and it's a certain job. I like medicine as well, but situation in my country is not that good and I have to think about money as well. I hope I'll make a good decision and that I'll love my job and have money as well. It's so hard nowadays.