The importance of sharing cultures

DrewH

As a foreigner living in Colombia, it is my job to represent British culture well. I have to show the world how kind and easy-going British people can be, as well as changing the image some people have about the British as being cold. Whenever you go abroad you are setting an example for your country which the people you meet will remember. On many occasions, people have said things like, "I don't like people from this country." or "People from that country are mean." to me. This shows that one person can make an impression for a whole country, so it very important to make a good one!

My stay in Colombia isn't just about providing examples of British culture, I am also here to learn about another culture and share the best parts of both. I have noticed that some things are better than in Britain here, whereas some things are worse. The idea is to share the good ideas I bring from my culture and to learn about, and maybe adopt, the good ideas from a foreign culture.

Sharing cultures is clearly extremely important. Recently, a festival of international culture took place in my town. It was a very special event with activities and performances throughout the town centre. There was theatre, street-art, traditional and modern dances, storytelling, photography, traditional markets and food, music concerts from both local bands and big, national artists as well as workshops and classes about traditional skills or cultural issues. The guest country was France, so there was a lot of French culture on show.

My town doesn’t usually have many cultural activities, so it was really great to see it come alive for a week and see so many people getting involved in cultural events and helping to spread a positive message about how to live together. Events like this one bring people together from all walks of life and allow them to share their cultures, which is a very important thing in the world today.

Does your town/city celebrate any cultural events? Do you think they are important?

Anto6126's picture
Anto6126 3 September, 2021 - 02:31

Antonia:
In Chile we have the september 18, in that day we eat empanadas, anticuchos, etc...
Also we dancing cueca, an typical dance of our country.
I think share cultures is very important because we have to meet other peoples and cultures.

ElWancho's picture
ElWancho 31 August, 2021 - 23:27

This is ery importan for us because we should know many cultures in the world and respect to people and cultures. Ignacio

1 user has voted.
Ignacia150705's picture
Ignacia150705 31 August, 2021 - 15:27

ignacia:

yes, in Chile the traditions are family gathering, for example our national parties, the 18 of September, what is celebrate the firt governing board.
I think that is very important share different cultures, because that means learning the different vision of each country.

froggiwz's picture
froggiwz 31 August, 2021 - 15:25

Javiera; sharing cultures are important, because you have fun learning this. culture is important and special for everyone, that's why you have to share :p in my country eat empanadas and we use colorfull costumes in fiestas patrias

alfombra_italiana's picture
alfombra_italiana 31 August, 2021 - 15:23

Simón: I think culture is very important because all countries need get a diferent traditions and make a different experience for the new tourist

maring654's picture
maring654 31 August, 2021 - 15:21

martin v
this is for my teacher
i think that the culture is important because is the identity each country and the celebration is a source of pride and happinnes for the people In addition, knowing about the culture of another country helps to relate better

Diego545's picture
Diego545 31 August, 2021 - 15:13

Diego: in my opinion sharing cultures and being respectful about it is very important,because it makes you realize how different your country is from another,also you don't need to be ashamed of sharing it, the purpose of the text is to make you realize that you can enjoy other cultures aswell even if they are different than yours.

nikobellic's picture
nikobellic 31 August, 2021 - 15:07

Lucas, i think sharing culture is very important, we need to know us, how humans, our origins, and learn our different customs for upgrade our society.

Shan_110's picture
Shan_110 31 August, 2021 - 03:01

Francisca: In my country Chile, we celebrate ''las fiestas patrias'' or the national holydays, where we dance ''cueca'', make barbecue and fly kites. I think is important because you can spread knowledge to other foreing people and that tradition are maintained over time.

hope's picture
hope 31 August, 2021 - 02:59

Julieta:
The main idea is that it is very important to learn from other cultures because they always have something to contribute such as food, language, costumes, celebrations and traditions.

the porpose is to inform about the importance of creating a good impresion and comment about your country.

In my country we celebrate the "fiestas patrias" and I think its very important because we celebrate the first government meeting in Chile and the beginning of the independence process

1 user has voted.
Lord's picture
Lord 31 August, 2021 - 02:33

Damián

I think culture is very important for everyone and mixing it helps to create more diversity and bring out the best of each country.

dacarod's picture
dacarod 31 August, 2021 - 01:21

Javiera
Being aware of other cultures is not only to know plain things, is to comprehend that the importance of sharing different cultures, and life styles makes human race a colorful canvas, full of diversity, art, cuisines, behaviors, traditions, and much more.

Living abroad can provide the opportunity to learn about the importance of knowing about other cultures. Getting involved in different traditions can enrich your way of seeing the world. If you have the chance, I adivse you to go abroad so you can have the experience of living in ways you never imagined.

1 user has voted.
Fatime143's picture
Fatime143 8 February, 2014 - 08:09

We have some cultural events in my country They are celebrated traditionaly I think it is very important

learningenglish282's picture
learningenglish282 3 January, 2014 - 16:45

Yes, in Vietnam, there often has many cultural events and when we go there we can enjoy other country cuisine as well as their arts, music and many more. I think they are important because we can try new thing (like their food) and have more knowledge about other cultures since every nation has its own unique and beautiful ways of living.

Harabeli Supersweet 27 November, 2013 - 13:18

Today it was a cultural event in my school. We brought traditional Albanian and English food and costumes. This way we had the chance to learn new things and to share our knowledges. I think that these activities are so important.

Jonathan - Coor... 27 November, 2013 - 13:24

That sounds like a really interesting event! What did you wear and what food did you bring? What did you see and do? Well done to your school and its students for organising such fun cultural events!

serap's picture
serap 26 November, 2013 - 21:10

Cultures and sharing cultures are important. We should know many cultures in the world and respect to people and cultures. Because cultures are important things that make us happy and it get us to attend good events. :-)