Is it better to go on holiday with family, friends, or alone?

19
IainG

There are very few people in the world who do not like going on holiday. Almost everybody likes to relax, to visit new places and see new things. Holidays are obviously great ways to do this but, before booking a trip, we all have to decide with whom to travel – is it better with family, with friends, or alone?

Holidays with family can be hard work and there can be many arguments. One friend told me that both she and her sister were in tears after arguing on holiday … before their flight had even taken off. Not everybody in the family wants to do the same things. In my own family, Dad always wants to go to a museum, Mum and Sister want to shop, and I want to go to a coffee shop. Alone. The majority rules and we end up shopping. Travelling with family can be very cheap or even free, though, if parents pay.

Holidays with friends are not usually as cheap but money always plays an important role. It is normal for everyone to have different budgets and there needs to be a lot of compromise, from where you stay, to where you eat.This inevitably causes problems.

Nonetheless, travelling with friends can be incredible fun. When on holiday with friends you do different things than you do with family. It is also good for learning more about your friends, and sharing experiences together. Even though we spend a lot of time with our friends, travelling with them is different and a way to strengthen a friendship.

When choosing with whom to travel, there is another option: alone. Travelling alone has advantages over travelling with other people. For example, you do not have to compromise on money issues. You can choose what you want to do and it can also be a good opportunity to meet new people, especially when staying in hostels.

Of course, travelling alone is not always good. It can be lonely and, sometimes, dull with no one to talk to. And, when at the bus station or airport, there is nobody to look after you suitcase when you want to go to the bathroom.

Personally I prefer travelling alone because there are fewer arguments. Of course, sometimes I like holidays with other people. That way, there is always someone to talk to.

How do you prefer to travel, with family, friends or alone? 

Corriendomiendo's picture
Corriendomiendo 26 July, 2017 - 19:33

I like the three of Us. But the best for me is travel with family. In my family i have my brother. He is 18 years old. we always have the same ideas. My father and my mother like to do new activities. Also i like to travel with all my family. Only one time i travel with all my family. It was amazing. In my family we aré united and a bit have the same years. I like travel with family because we all know everything for everyone and we don't fight continued.

youaretheonlyone29's picture
youaretheonlyone29 5 March, 2016 - 03:25

Travel with friends, of course! You can feel more comfortable and more relaxation when you are staying with your parents. They won't let you do anything dangerous like explore a cave or play with sharks (in a cage),....Alone is not really good, though. When you are ill or having a trouble, nobody will there to help. I've never traveled without my mom or dad, and that is terrible :)))

Elsa007 3 May, 2015 - 01:26

I'm a minotity in my family. Every schedule is always set by my sister or mother! I'm quite used to follow their plans and enjoy the trip. Personally, I prefer traveling alone, I can't really enjoy it in a chatty mood......

anna9's picture
anna9 8 October, 2014 - 19:18

I don’t have any problems with my family but I prefer to travel with my friends because I enjoy having time with them .Also with my friends I am relaxe and myself is free. (Something that with my family don’t hapent )

Jenny_Greece's picture
Jenny_Greece 27 September, 2014 - 09:21

Well, I don't have any problem with my family, I can travel with them. But I prefer to travel with my friends, 'cause I would have more fun with them.

Rahma097's picture
Rahma097 14 September, 2014 - 20:08

I honestly don't mind dealing with new people, so, if it was up to me I'd probably go alone by myself no worries or stuff like that.

sonsuzluk's picture
sonsuzluk 17 August, 2014 - 17:32

I prefer travelling with my bestfriends. I can have fun more .Yeah it would be expensive but we would live it up.

ngoc's picture
ngoc 10 August, 2014 - 13:26

personally,i want to travel with my family.this is great time for our family understand each other more.because my family hardly express our feeling,emotion and many things!
but sometimes i also want to travel alone.properly it is a surpising trip! hihi

sararosita's picture
sararosita 8 August, 2014 - 21:46

For me both traveling with family or friends are good.the essentiel is not being alone ;because I don't feel good when traveling alone; when you are with someone that you love the trip will be better and you will amuse ;because you have someone to talk with and to share you ideas with also to take pictures together ;he will help you when you need his help; even if there is a difference between being with friends or family and i prefer travelling with family because i feel more comfortable and safe ; that's what i think

cklj's picture
cklj 6 August, 2014 - 17:44

I have always traveled with my family. I've also been on tours with my friends but that's different than holiday. A few years later I'm sure that my parents will let me go to holiday with my friends because now I'm too young. I'm also sure that I'll never go on holiday alone. Even the though is kind of frightening for me. If I go on a holiday alone I will be lonely. There probably won't be anyone that I can talk to because I'm bad at meeting new people and I simply don't know how to start a conversation. I think that it's best to go on holiday with your parents. It's also good to go on holiday with your friends if you're really close with them.

olybos's picture
olybos 4 August, 2014 - 06:02

I prefer travelling with my friends.The reason is that if you have your friends you feel more relaxed and you are not alone because if you are alone you don't feel very happy.On the other hand your family will have a programm which I am sure that nobody like it.As a result I believe that travelling with friends can help you be more calm and have a lot of fun.

aktoty_nis's picture
aktoty_nis 25 July, 2014 - 11:52

Personally I prefer to travel with my best friend! Because we can do what we want to do.I don't languish alone. It is good to travel with family too. But I think you can't keep yourself free with family. If you travel alone, I think, travel will be boring. So I prefer travel with friend!

saba's picture
saba 25 July, 2014 - 11:19

it's never up to me to go on a trip and i always have to go with my family but i'd rather go with my friends (when i grow up)

venkatgade10's picture
venkatgade10 24 July, 2014 - 17:26

Traveling with different people gives you different experiences and variety of emotions, In my case i always travel with my parents i like to travel with them mostly, I have good experience of travel with both family and friends. When your in a group of friends you can enjoy a lot but for sure you waste plenty of time, we can't control them, for example, one friend want to go one place and others want to go different place and there we have lot of discrepancies. But going with parents is good but have limited fun you can't buy what ever you want, there is price restrictions always!! but i like enjoying with them mostly, My native place is far from my school, i used to travel alone sometimes, i feel bore when i travel alone because no one is there to chat with me and no jokes i have to see windows and passing trees !!

Niluh 23 July, 2014 - 15:28

Obviously i prefer travel with my family, going on holiday with family can sometimes more difficult which we have our own holiday destination, but eventually we're always in the same way, we have one destination to visit after arguing for awhile. I do have a little chances to go on holiday with my friends or alone, my parents doesn't always give me money for travelling, it's all about budget!