It's Snow Fun...

42
Bethan Morgan

There’s nothing worse than waiting so long for that magical moment when the snow begins to fall than not being able to do anything with it when it does.

To set the scene: I am a final year student at Cardiff University but my home is Nottingham. As I have had almost a month of no lectures over Christmas I decided to stay with my family to do my work. I have an exam in a few days as well as a deadline for an assignment, an essay and a whole novel to read. So I have been quite busy. 

A week or so ago the weather forecast started to tell us that it was going to snow, and as usual, people were split into one of two categories: the first is those who get far too excited and start planning their snowman’s outfit; and the second is those who panic and/or grumble. I am definitely in the first group – I love the snow. I always have done, and Nottingham isn’t famous for getting a lot of snow, so it is always a treat when it does.

But not this year. The problems started when the weather couldn’t make up its mind – will it snow enough to build a snowman or not? At first I didn’t think it would, and then finally the heavens opened and down it all fell. But by that time it was too dark to go outside, so we decided to wait until morning to do anything with it. Waking up and pulling back the curtains I was disappointed to see that it was already starting to disappear – and I still had to go into town before I could even think about making my snowman!

And then there was the small problem of the mountain of work I had to get through – how could I afford to spend time playing in the snow while I had so much to do?! So I used it as a reward – finish your essay and you can build a snowman. And I did. And it was so worth it. We made a huge snowman and even had time to create a canine friend for him.

So the moral of the story is this: it’s snow fun when you can’t play in it, but it’s definitely worth the wait! 

Does it often snow where you live? Do you like it?

hayaalhams's picture
hayaalhams 10 June, 2013 - 10:48

in jordan the weather is always hot and we don't know if in the winter can we make a snow man or not .. last winter we built a small snow man because we hadint enough snow to make a huge snowman .. i wish we can make a huge snowman this winter

onedirectionlover2002's picture
onedirectionlov... 21 May, 2013 - 14:34

I love snow! But in my country, it doesn't snows in my city but it does in some places for snow fun, we go to Murree, Kashmir or sometimes abroad in my winter vaccations. But it's more cooler anf Fun in your own place :(!!!!

MALINE 21 April, 2013 - 00:10

Here in México never snows,I´d like to make "angels" in the snow or built a snowman but only in my dreams :-(

Natalija 27 March, 2013 - 12:46

It's spring now, and in Serbia it snows ceaseless, I don't like that. It's a real winter here. I was looking forward to wear more comfortable clothes, and I have to wear jumpers and coats again. Such a pity!

Natalija 20 March, 2013 - 18:27

In Serbia doesn't snow too much. This year, for example, we had a Christmas without snow and for me, it was such a pity. But the last year, it snowed during the whole January. Generally, I like snow, esp in December, when I go out with my friends and make Snow man. I enjoy skiing.

Beauty2705's picture
Beauty2705 16 March, 2013 - 16:16

It doesn't snow where I live...but I'd just love to experience snowfall...making snowmen, snow ball fights and ofcourse the snowy sports!....since I was a kid I always wanted to go to a hillstation or any place where it snows but I've just not been so lucky.....but one day I'll surely experience snowfall and I'm sure it would be a wonderful time though I know that I just can't stand the cold...I easily catch a cold and fall ill....still I don't care....I will make a snowman, have snowball fights with my brother, skate and have loads of fun!!!...I just wish it happens soon....

ink's picture
ink 9 March, 2013 - 19:54

Unfortunately in my country it often snows. there is cold and windy what makes me ill instantly. I can't stomach it.

Jona's picture
Jona 23 February, 2013 - 22:34

Where I live it snows but not very often.
I love the snow but when it snows my town becomes a mess.Most of cars can not move but it is fun to walk on snow with your friends or your family.Not to mention the snowman and the rests........

Bethan Morgan's picture
Bethan Morgan 26 February, 2013 - 16:25

That's true here too, when we have any snow we go crazy! Just like we do if it's really hot, or rains a lot! We aren't very good at coping with the weather...

Gabby's picture
Gabby 22 February, 2013 - 23:18

It never snows in Brazil. I would like to see snow, because when in scenes of snow in American and European films people usually seem to have fun a lot constructing snowmans and doing snowball wars. However, I would hate the freezing temperature... Hehehe!

sam786's picture
sam786 19 February, 2013 - 12:08

Firstly, I live in London and this time it snows a lot in London. I like snow very much and the most exciting activities are to make a snowman and play snow ball fight. But the worst thing is when snow gets slippery and it is difficult to walk.

sunbeam's picture
sunbeam 4 February, 2013 - 14:25

When I was a child, I loved a winter!I especially liked the winter holidays. I like winter now! And who do not like winter?
In winter there are a lot of holidays: my and my grandfather's birthday, New Year's Day and Christmas. And so many gifts! And so many cheerful games!
I like snow! Snow day is a fun day. when a lot of snow you can make a snowman.
People wear warm winter jackets in winter. In them, they look funny.
I think that people who like skiing, skate always wait winter. Winter sport is very nice!
I think that winter it is great! In winter you can have fun! I love winter!

Bethan Morgan's picture
Bethan Morgan 6 February, 2013 - 15:34

I'm glad you like winter so much! I agree, it is a lovely time of year :) do you do any winter sports?

lynn.tk's picture
lynn.tk 27 January, 2013 - 13:58

I envy you, Bethan Morgan.My country has four seasons. in winter,it is not cold enough to see snowflakes.I love snow,too.Somtimes, I sit by the window ,close my eyes and image that it is snowing.There is only one province in my country which has snow in winter.But it is so far from my home.I hope that one day I will have a chance to get there and make my snowman like you.Thanks a lot for your article.I love it!!!

visigode's picture
visigode 22 January, 2013 - 21:22

"There’s nothing worse than waiting so long for that magical moment when the snow begins to fall THAN not being able to do anything with it when it does." Is the second 'than' correct? Is it possible to say this in a different way?

Bethan Morgan's picture
Bethan Morgan 28 January, 2013 - 20:21

You could rephrase it as: "There's nothing worse than not being able to do anything with the snow after waiting so long for that magical moment when it begins to fall" if you want to avoid the second 'than'. Is this what you were thinking of?

Violin Guy's picture
Violin Guy 22 January, 2013 - 13:26

There's no snow in Albania :'( ! Last year snow fall , but this year , only rain , rain and rain :( .

Demy's picture
Demy 21 January, 2013 - 09:57

Hello)
In Ukraine it is very snowly in the winter.I like it!!!
But not always)Some winters are without snow...
Sometimes when snow start melt it is slippery.It is bad side...
I am very glad that this Cristmas we had realy beatiful snow fairytail!!!