Just do it!

29
MorganAQ

I would like to think of myself as a fairly well-travelled and self-sufficient individual who is always up for adventure and a good time. However, every now and then life and routine get in the way and suddenly the four walls of your room and Netflix become so much more appealing than anything else. This is especially true when the outside world speaks in another language that makes communication harder, life more frustrating and jokes less funny.

There are good days when those foreign words simply roll off the tongue and other days where I feel like my brain has turned to sludge and cannot keep up with the pace of the local language. It feels like those dreams where you run and run but don’t move anywhere. It’s those bad days that give you that 'I’ll do it another time' attitude. Sometimes you just need to listen to Nike and just do it. Go to that party you’ve been invited to. Take that dance class you’ve signed up for. Make the most of the time you’ve been given, particularly when it is the wonderful experience that is living abroad.

I have experienced the negativity of not wanting to do something because I could not be bothered or because communicating in a foreign language was too much effort. Yet, the moments when I forced myself to do something and take the opportunity I had been given turned out to be my best moments. I have found that self-improvement in all forms comes from the small changes and the positive attitude we adopt in life. Do something every day that brings you closer to your goals and don’t sit on the sidelines.  If you want to become more fluent in a language, listen to the radio more. If you want to finish that novel you started, read a page. If you want to lose weight, take the stairs. If you want to make the most of your time abroad then seize every opportunity you can and don’t be put off by a language or cultural barrier. The expression 'you reap what you sow' is a perfect for anyone living in a new environment and learning a new language because you will only improve with effort, time and practice.

How do you stay motivated even when you don’t feel like it?

Manaly's picture
Manaly 18 July, 2016 - 00:24

I love this kind of articles
For me, to get motivated i usually walk, meditate or try to lough by saying joke so i can break the routine and the bored feeling that makes us unmotivated.
My dream is to study abroad so pray for me.

Forever_in__dream's picture
Forever_in__dream 3 January, 2016 - 11:14

When I begin thinking about finishing my work and switching to another thing, I realise I won't be successful in it without practice. I agree with author of this article, if you want to do something, do it. "Practice makes perfect!' I remember it every time when my studies become very difficult to me and continue to do what I did before. When I feel frustrating I usually have a break and then I continue to do the job enthusiastically. For instance, when I am fed up with making English exercise I turn on my favorite music (in English, of course))) to have a rest for a little time. I shouldn't go away with my chosen way, because every little step can bring me closer to the big aim!

hadia 21 March, 2016 - 17:14

Ha ha ha! I like sleeping too :))
Whenever I get tired after my hectic routine and still have many tests to prepare.....
My dad just says,"Take rest and sleep for a while"
Because, "Rest is Best foe Test"
How's it ?? :)

Salmaihim's picture
Salmaihim 2 January, 2016 - 15:08

very motivating, your style is utterly perfect ! I love it ! i hate writing whether it is in my native or english language,though, i love reading !

Ken 7 November, 2015 - 08:48

Wow, that's great!
Hmm..., certainly. I remembered I can be only pisitive and motivated whenever I feel my girlfriend is with me!!
✲゚。.(✿╹◡╹)ノ☆.。₀:*゚✲゚*:₀。

sanpai28's picture
sanpai28 18 October, 2015 - 12:52

When I don't want to do something good or I'm not in good mood, I stay motivated by thinking that the all I do good are for my benefits and advantages and if I didn't do it now, I would never do it again later. When I think to leave the work to do later, I warn myself in time that if I do like this, later, I will be lower in knowledge, rank,experiences, benefits, rewards,..... almost everything than others trying hard. According to experience, I have to say one thing that ...if you waste time, the all you'll get will be only sorrows and regrets. Sometimes, I use to stay motivated myself by my parents' help, like great encouragement from them, and wise advices, knowledge and experiences.They are a great help for me. I have a few more expressions according to this article...."If you waste time, the time will waste you back." "You can't get the same chance twice."

gianggiang 20 October, 2015 - 13:12

Hi Sanpai, you stay motivated yourself by your parents' help. How admirable they are! I am unlike you !!! I myself stay motivated because my parents rarely care about my studying! ( I am very satisfied with this!) My mother always reminds me : " You are just a girl, not a superwoman, so you shouldn't be shocked when you're failed." My mother often says to me;" I'm just responsible for your school fees, and about your studying,it is your duty." No burden !
Happy Women's Day! Sanpai, Elsa, Hadia, give your mothers my love and admiration (^o^)

sanpai28's picture
sanpai28 21 October, 2015 - 13:21

Hello giang,
Thanks for your comment. Your mother is very good to you. She taught you to accept failure with a smile. Of course, we should only do what we can do. We have to accept smilingly both success and failure. I admire you that you stand on your own feet and also admire your mother for putting an idea into your head that failure is not a deadly thing and it cannot end up your life. My parents also say a word to me that is similar with your mother's, "Don't look back and fill up your mind with sorrows for the failures in the past, but just find which part you were weak and learn the lessons from that failures". All parents lead their children to the right way. Happy Women's Day, too, giang! And also give your mother my love and admiration, too. :)

Elsa007 20 October, 2015 - 13:47

Thank you, Ginagginag!
Your mum seems to be nice, too! She looks calm and realistic! She's more like my mum who encourage us from behind. My mum will be happy to know her way of encouragement was not unique…!
BBFs Elsa ☆

Elsa007 19 October, 2015 - 06:35

Wow… thank you sanpai!
I'm glad to know the great expressions, "If you waste time, the time will waste you back." "You can't get the same chance twice.".
This is really impressive! It has a tremendous impact on lazy girl like me!! I'll bear it in mind! :)))

sanpai28's picture
sanpai28 21 October, 2015 - 13:47

Hello, elsa
Thanks for your appreciation. And you are not alone, elsa,.....I'm a lazy one too,maybe lazier than you :) These expressions came from my soul. My laziness, wasting time in the past gave me not only regrets and unhappiness but also that ideas. :' | (sighs) Anyway, I'm trying my best now. Because of your appreciations,Elsa and hadia and also giang, I am more confident in myself than before and start to know that I'm a little bit qualified.
Thanks very much,all my friends, Hadia, Elsa and giang. You all are my best friends forever. :D

Elsa007 22 October, 2015 - 11:00

Hi sanpai!
Thank you for the kind reply, I'm happy to find another "Elsa", a lazy girl…!! :) ha ha…
The point is…. the laziness, let's say a slump, is not always our enemy but could be a break for a new start, I believe. So we should make it clear by word and deed that we are improving!
Yes, you're qualified enough, sanpai! It's often difficult for us to know real 'ourselves'! Please avoid your talent being utilized by false friends who are jealous of you and come close to you…….…. (Scary? Happy Halloween!!)
Anyway, I'll try my best as well!
Yours BFF, Elsa ☆

hadia 19 October, 2015 - 15:58

Hi Sanpai and Elsa!
My English teacher says a very nice expression.....which is quite similar to Sanpai's expression ( You can't get the same chance twice ) She says, " We can neither see the same Sun again nor we can swim in the same water again.................Cuz after a moment when we look again It becomes the Sun of next moment and water of a next second" It sounds really motivating.............Isn't it?????

sanpai28's picture
sanpai28 21 October, 2015 - 13:52

I am glad to hear that mine is similar with your teacher's expression. Yes, it sounds actually motivating, hadia :)
And so sorry to all for my late replies.. and I want to be a BFF with all of you, hadia, elsa and giang.....is that OK? :)
With best wishes

gianggiang 22 October, 2015 - 15:18

Yes, super OK, not just BFFs, we also BFOFs ( haha) I don't know if BFOFs is true in English, but it is quite interesting in Vietnamese.

Elsa007 22 October, 2015 - 03:32

Hi sanpai,
I welcome you as a BBF with no condition! :)) Cuz we've been already BFFs!
Just one thing…..
Let's sing the BBF's song hand in hand! :)))
Elsa ☆

Elsa007 20 October, 2015 - 11:08

Wow… thank you Hadia!
That's a great expression, too!! I feel sorry for the ephemerality in the poetic saying, at the same time, I feel the necessity of making much of what we're doing now!! :)))
BFFs, Elsa ☆

hadia 18 October, 2015 - 06:35

Whenever I'm going to quit a task which I should do......I always say, "Why??? No...! I must do it! If others can do their work nicely why can't I ????" Well Giang words are quite motivating "Now or never" That's good ..............................I've a similar one .................That's really for the one who is soo determined with his/her work i.e. Do or Die! hahahaha!

Elsa007 19 October, 2015 - 06:42

Wow…. thank you giang!
Very impressive! It sounds like 'Live or Die'!!
I'm glad to know that my friends are so determined and motivated!
Yeah---, get-up-and-go, hand in hand!! :)))