Learning to adapt

16
GraceL

So I moved to Nordenham in Lower Saxony, Germany about a month ago for my year abroad. I am working as a foreign language assistant in a school here.  At university, I study German so naturally, my aim is to improve my German this year. Before I came, I was very nervous that I would not understand what anyone said.  This made moving away from England quite scary at first. From the moment I arrived in Germany, everything seemed so different but so exciting. I was greeted at the train station by a teacher from the school I work at who drove me to the people I was staying with.  As we arrived the table was already set with coffee and amazing cakes! Coffee and cake is something of a tradition in Germany, like afternoon tea in England! I knew this was going to be the start of a great year.

I am very open to new things and to changes so I soon adapted to the German way of life. The hardest change was the early starts! The first lesson in my school starts at 7:35 which is much earlier than in England so I have to make sure I go to bed earlier so that I’m not too tired. Another difference is that in Germany, people tend to eat a big meal at lunchtime and then something smaller in the evening. In England we usually eat something small at lunchtime and then a larger meal in the evening. I also noticed that lots of Germans seem to wear scarves, especially in northern Germany where it can be quite cold! I was told by a teacher at my school that I would not survive here without a scarf so I quickly bought one.

I love the way that schools start earlier and finish earlier here. When the school day finishes at 1pm it is really nice to have some free time for the rest of the day. I like to go cycling or for walks on the beach. I have noticed that cycling is extremely popular in Germany! I really enjoy it so it has been easy for me to adapt and travel everywhere by bike.

Thanks for reading, till next time!

Do you like to visit new places?  Do you find it easy to adapt when you visit another country? 

Lavender 10 July, 2015 - 09:35

I have never been to any foreign country, but I have to love to a big city for my study. It was a completely unfamiliar to me, no friends, no relatives, no family. Luckily the culture is not quite different. However I still have to adapt to a few things, like the bus system and the environment, the atmosphere, the streets are always crowed.

i like visiting different places and I feel that it takes time but it's easier to adapt once you have started living at a particular area!

dzeni 2 March, 2014 - 19:00

Yes, I like visiting new places. It is interesting and exciting experience. I sure it is very difficult to adapt in another country but maybe it will be useful for us.

GraceL's picture
GraceL 6 March, 2014 - 20:03

Thanks for your comment dzeni! I agree, it is a very exciting experience. It can be difficult to adapt at first but then I think it gets easier. Germany feels like home to me now so I would say I have really adapted :)

GraceL's picture
GraceL 6 March, 2014 - 20:01

I agree, it can really help to develop your character! I woud say my confidence has improved a lot since moving to Germany!

AlainShes's picture
AlainShes 14 December, 2013 - 20:15

In my opinion, this is realy great.
I like visit new places, especially on bike.
I think, it is very difficult to adapt in another country, but it should be exciting.

GraceL's picture
GraceL 19 December, 2013 - 12:32

I totally agree :) it is very exciting to learn about new traditions and ways of life. I also think it's great that you like to visit new places by bike. I think you can see a lot more when you walk or cycle!