Leaving home

3
EmilyW

Moving out of your family home can be a very scary thing to do. You will experience many changes and have to make some adjustments.

I was 18 when I went to university. At the time I thought I was very grown up, but I soon discovered that there were a lot of things I had to learn!

As I left my family behind in South Africa when I went to England, moving was a big shock for me. However, a few people in my year were from the local area, so they were able to continue living at home while at university. There are advantages and disadvantages to both options.

One of the benefits of living at home is that you don't have to worry about rent, food or electricity. Not only does this save you a lot of money, but it means you don't have the stress of figuring out how to pay bills or plan a weekly shop. Another advantage is that if you are ever in trouble, your parents will be there to help you through it – whether it's a crisis about the amount of work you have to do or a fight with your best friend. They can also offer lots of practical advice. It also means you never have to be homesick, so in some ways you get the best of both worlds.

That said, I really enjoyed my experience living away from home. One of the greatest advantages for me was that it forced me to grow up, become more mature and learn how to make decisions by myself. I also had to solve problems by myself, like when I lost my credit card and had to call the bank to cancel it. It also allows you more freedom – in my halls, there was no-one to check what time I went to bed or ask if I had done my homework. It also makes you more involved in university life, and you never miss out on anything your friends are doing.

Whether you go to university or not, you will probably end up living by yourself one day. I think it's a very important step in growing up and becoming a more independent person. That said, I do call my mum once a week to chat, and often have questions about how the iron works or what cleaning product is best for kitchen surfaces!

What things are you looking forward to when you leave home? What worries you?

sararosita's picture
sararosita 6 February, 2015 - 22:40

I'm studying now in university and i lived alone far from my house for 4 years ago, i found it difficult in the begining , espicially that I have to take responsability of my own , then being far from my mother is the most difficult thing for me ; eventhough i see her every weekend but still One day or two are not enough to stay with the family.
I think it 's important to live alone as you said it has lot of advantages, but it depends on the person's age .
I think that the suitable age to live alone is 20 ,

JoEditor's picture
JoEditor 7 February, 2015 - 18:08

Hi sararosita,
Thanks for your comments on LearnEnglish Teens. This website is especially for teenagers aged 13-17 years old but it sounds like you are older than that. You are welcome to keep on using LearnEnglish Teens but if you are over 17, please do NOT post any more comments as we must keep this strictly for teenagers to interact with each other. You are welcome to join our LearnEnglish page for adults and post comments there: www.britishcouncil.org/learnenglish
B
est wishes, Jo (LearnEnglish Teens Team) 

famz97's picture
famz97 28 January, 2015 - 08:18

I will graduate Senior High School and I hope to study in my favorite University where so far from my home. I think its a bit scary because when you get trouble you can't back to home easily (because less money). You can't communicate your family everyday (because your pulse is limits). However, I think if I study far away from my home. I can do anything (it's positive activity) and not to worry if you will be scolded or confined by your parent. I hope everyone can understand when read it. Thank You!