Lessons learned from living abroad

ElsaBlogger2017

Here are the top ten things I've learned from living in Germany and Austria this year.

1. Taking a chance will be the best thing you've ever done! I was feeling unsure about moving from Cologne (where I was in my first semester) to Vienna (where I spent my second semester) as I thought it can't get any better – but really it did.

2. The weather in England is a joke! I didn't realise how bad it was until I now have this incredible European weather to compare it to.

3. The more you do, the easier it becomes! At first I found listening to or speaking German all the time exhausting, but the more I did, the less tired I became.

4. You appreciate your home cuisine so much. The phrase, 'You don't know what you've got till it's gone', is so true. I found myself dreaming about classic English foods like Marmite, Yorkshire puddings and Cadbury's chocolate.

5. Finally hearing your native language sounds magical. Even hearing the self-checkout voice in English at the supermarket made me feel nostalgic. Never did I think 'unexpected item in the bagging area' would bring me any other emotion than annoyance!

6. Keeping up with both languages is difficult. I found myself forgetting English words. Bilingual? More like byelingual.

7. We're all the same. I've met people from all around the world and I've learned that regardless of gender or nationality, we all have kindness within us.

8. And yet we all have our quirks and traditions but we can share them with each other and spread the happiness and joy.

9. Language learning is hard. There's so much vocabulary and then comes slang and then comes dialect and add accent on top of that. But it's so worth it. It's the most satisfying feeling to understand and participate in a conversation.

10. Thanks to technology we can create a home from home. I can FaceTime my family and have them 'with me' on my adventures. My year abroad has been an amazing journey and it's taught me so much, not only about other cultures but also about myself. I would thoroughly recommend spending time abroad. I've only just touched on the advantages as they are endless! So do it, take that leap of faith into the unknown and start your own enriching and empowering experience.

Topics: 

Would you like to live abroad?

piza0103's picture
piza0103 26 July, 2019 - 13:55

Yes, because I have always wanted to learn more from a different culture than mine and interact with it. Mainly to learn a second language and to be able to carry out after this a study either as a specialization or second career. The country that most attracts my attention to conduct a study abroad is the United States, because in this I can better develop an engineering and learn more about it. In terms of adaptation, it can be difficult but in a matter of time it can be easier and more pleasant

camilorodriguez11D's picture
camilorodriguez11D 26 July, 2019 - 13:54

study abroad is a great idea
it has many benefits , and its a amazing adventure
just imagine how many people you can meet and the excelent experiences that you can live , but it have cons too, like that you have to know how to live alone ,you must know how to cook, wash the clothes , pay the rent and the services ,and the ability to live alone because unless you have another person like the family or a sentimental relationship you will be alone all the time

CESM16's picture
CESM16 26 July, 2019 - 13:52

Yes, because I would like to meet new cultures, lifestyle, food and people from other countries. Also, i think is important to learn another language and study abroad to reach better professional opportunities in other places and gain experience of living alone in a whole different world.

nexhu's picture
nexhu 26 July, 2019 - 13:49

yes, because i would really want to learn about other cultures arround the world, and i've also realized that i like the other idioms, how they sound and how people write it. i also love the idea because i find it very exiting to meet other people from arround the world and to be in new surroundings.

Matthijs4's picture
Matthijs4 26 July, 2019 - 13:49

Of course I would like to study abroad because it´s a nice opportunity to have space for yourself and win some self confidence and autonomy. I would like to study abroad in Canada to boost my english level and then look for the career I want to study in Brazil, it can be hard but everything is possible.

xXDarkDiego23Xx's picture
xXDarkDiego23Xx 26 July, 2019 - 13:48

Well...being sincere...no, i wouldn't like to study abroad, because i already have planned to study in my native country (Colombia) and basically i think living in another country is kind of hard beacuase it takes time to get used to it and also you are alone...and that is comlicated to begin with.

Diego 11D

Jerome_Boateng's picture
Jerome_Boateng 26 July, 2019 - 13:46

I would love living abroad, in the way you can have lots of new experiences, and knowing new places and new people
Jerónimo 11D

JuanArdila21's picture
JuanArdila21 26 July, 2019 - 13:45

Yes, I think this is a great opportunity to know new culture, improve your skills to talk english and also meet new people. Also we can know uis to life in another country and how it feels stay far from home.
Juan 11D

D_End's picture
D_End 26 July, 2019 - 13:38

I think it would be a great opportunity to live abroad for a while and learn about a new culture and be part of something different. However, I don´t feel like it´s going to be easy for me since my budget its really low. Still, if I had the chance to do it, I´d take it without a doubt, and I recommend anyone else to do it, it´s a great chance to learn

verita12345's picture
verita12345 23 July, 2019 - 00:39

answering the question, the truth is that if I would like to live abroad because I like to know different cultures and besides that I can present better job opportunities than in my hometown, I also think that you have to leave the area of comfort and risk new things.
Daniela V 11E

JCGD211's picture
JCGD211 22 July, 2019 - 05:32

Of course i want to live abroad because i think this is one of the best experiences i can live through my entire live and there i would learn a lot because i would have the time to reflex about my life and also i get used to live alone so in a certain way i will become more mature and then come back home with a lot of stories to tell and a lot of things that before going i didnt know, affirming that i'm gonna acquire a lot of new knowledge that is essencial now in the 21st century as we want to become the best people at the moment we talk of the opportunities and the doors that will be open in the labour market which is a very important fact in oor future life.

Hbarbie's picture
Hbarbie 22 July, 2019 - 02:56

Of course I would love to! My dream has always been to study in another country, to be able to grow as a person and learn new things. I think that having that experience should be one of the best things you can do in life and that can mark you. I would like to go to Australia or Canada and start my career there, apart from studying the language, start with my life and my dreams to achieve them in the future. At this moment I am finding out about programs and the place where I can live since this implies a great degree of research and knowledge but I know that someday I will achieve this dream.

fbnmrz's picture
fbnmrz 20 July, 2019 - 22:39

First, i really want to study or live abroad and taking one of your's phrases that say "spread the happiness" i think the world can be a better p´lace if everyone of us start with an small change like hopping meet other places and other cultures.

mtiphont's picture
mtiphont 19 July, 2019 - 16:43

Hi!! my name is Antonio José, i want to answer the question; yes, my dream is live with all my family in another country like a UK, in London, because i like all the culture, the lanscape the people and i consider that is a good way to learning english.

Hououin_Kyouma's picture
Hououin_Kyouma 19 July, 2019 - 16:43

Hi I want to be a mad scientist . but to conquer the world first i need to say that I would like to live abroad. from my point of view it will be great I have my girlfiend in United states also she is my assitante Kristinaaa !!!! so knowing the culture of North America sound awesome. but to not feel lonely I would travel with my right hand my brother he is 5 years younger than me so he would live a great experience But also I would like to trave lto more places In Asia. uwu

editor_rachael's picture
editor_rachael 20 July, 2019 - 13:25

Hi Hououin_Kyouma,

Thanks for your comments on LearnEnglish Teens. This website is specially for teenagers aged 13-17 years old but it sounds like you are older than that. You are welcome to keep on using LearnEnglish Teens but if you are over 17, please do NOT post any more comments as we must keep this strictly for teenagers to interact with each other. 

Best wishes,

Rachael
LearnEnglish Teens team

CharaDraemurr's picture
CharaDraemurr 30 July, 2019 - 18:09

i know the guy. he is not over 17. he is just personifying houoin kyouma from steins;gate.

houoin kyouma is anime
makise kurisu (kristina) is anime

please

google it

Okabe_rintarou's picture
Okabe_rintarou 19 July, 2019 - 16:42

hi, i`ve read your post and i must say that i would really like to have and live a time abroad, specially in united states, where i it comes from my favourite soda DRpepper. I really like the culture and and I would want to learn more, know places, eat new food, and let my friend dare pay everithing :D

Ralulol15's picture
Ralulol15 19 July, 2019 - 16:41

i really don´t know if i would like to travel abroad, but, i have serioslly consider it, i always imagine that it may be a wonderfull experience and it would help me to study and practice another language, on the other hand, i also are very attached to my family and new places can make me a little anxious, but, i would take the risk only if i am strong enough to make that "leap of faith to the unknown".

juanro's picture
juanro 19 July, 2019 - 16:41

Hi, my name is juanro, and resposing the question, yes, is my main dream, so for me is too important because is a good opportunity to learn mre about another culture and to learn about another language, for example the city that I want to live is in france, exactly in france, for me is so beautiful and very interesting.

nicoruizcrack's picture
nicoruizcrack 19 July, 2019 - 16:39

Absolutely yes! One of my greatest wishes and goals in my life is to study, work and live abroad, by the first option I have Germany, but if I can't because of any situation maybe be in another European country.

vale25's picture
vale25 19 July, 2019 - 16:39

yes, i would like live in another country because i think that is a good option to find better job and life style opportunities. but also i feel scare of facing the new culture, language, education, life style that i would find in another country. so in that way i would like first to go on vacations to know better how the country works in terms of transport, accomodation, food, economy and politics.

ross_001's picture
ross_001 19 July, 2019 - 16:38

I think that travel abroad to study is a good option in the life because you can know about new and differents experiences. Have more advantage like learn new idioms depends the country, meeting cultures and better opportunities ton job.
This open more opportunities in the life...

JDPBG007's picture
JDPBG007 19 July, 2019 - 16:35

Yes, I would like to go to another country to study or stay for a few years because it seems to me an enriching experience, where I will have the opportunity to learn from another culture and another language, I can also have the experience of meeting new people that are. in the same situation as me and being able to support each other. Also I like that the girl tell us her experience of live abroad because they were so useful.

Latinoman's picture
Latinoman 19 July, 2019 - 16:33

Of course, I think that it may be an amazing experience and also full of learning, may be this experience will give me new friends but I think that it will be difficult at first because the cultural chock and the language, because this means new country and a new life, but with time may be adapted.

DarkfireT09's picture
DarkfireT09 19 July, 2019 - 16:33

Yes, live abroad is a really great experience that i want to do, studing abroad can be a great opportunitie in a lot of aspects, for example, i would have the opportunitie yo know new culteres and traditions, i can learn a lot of interesting things about the place i would go, also its a great oppotunitie for my studies, i can study some interesting and rare things, and in the final part i can say taht is a personal experience, is a trip to live in the wild world

fenix's picture
fenix 19 July, 2019 - 16:31

I will love to travel abroad, because I find interacting with other cultures and discovering new places absolutely amazing. I guess, that is an experience unique in life.
First of all, travelling has many benefits for the person; for example, you may become mopre responsible and organized, also you can try new and different stuff you are not used to...the pros are many, improving your social skills or your fluency in another lenguage different from your own is also some of the favorable points to take into accont for leaving home just for a while, learnig and having fun.

Mane123's picture
Mane123 19 July, 2019 - 16:31

Yes!!! I would love living abroad, because I think that living abroad is one of greatest experiences anyone can have. Of course first I arrive i will be really scared and maybe sometimes i would feel a little bit lonely, but i´m sure everything gets better with the time. Also i would love to know a new culture and learning another lenguage apart of spanish

Jade1429's picture
Jade1429 19 July, 2019 - 16:31

Yes, of course.
I think that study abroad is an enriching experience, you can leave your comfort zone and face a new adventure, and in some times a new life.
Also, the quality of education (in some cases) is better, that opens an entire world of great jobes opportunities.
Another important thing is the autonomy, living "along", forces you to take charge of your life, your money, your health...etc.
I want to study abroad!!!

camiarroyave30's picture
camiarroyave30 19 July, 2019 - 16:29

Of course i'd like to ! My dream has always been studying abroad in an European country, So i found this article and what you say really nice. I think that studying abroad is full of advantages, like learning another language, meeting new people, improving your professional skills, start being by your own, know about a diferent culture from yours and that kind of stuff.
I´d definitely enjoy that experience.

Cowboy1103's picture
Cowboy1103 19 July, 2019 - 16:27

I think that studying abroad is one of the best opportunities and experiences you will have, because it will improve your professional projection.
And also it allows you to meet new people and new cultures, and finally I think that will improve your level of one languaje in specific, like english, german, etc... Actually, that open you to many doors in the world of work.

MaNoob's picture
MaNoob 19 July, 2019 - 16:23

I have been thinking about it a lot.
Studying abroad would be really fun, beacause...you know...there are lot of things to learn in another country. I really want to go to Japan, its one of my favoritie countries in the world and i really like all the traditions and history they have (And obviously animes XD). But i don't want to go there without knowing how to speak their language so i been taking classes to learn a little bit of japanese,, at first i thought i would be really difficult but once practice its really easy, and the best thing about it is that my teachers are from Japan, so I can ask them as many questions as i want about their country.
There is just one problem about this, it cost a lot of money...so...yeah, it may take a while to go there, but someday I will do it.

gameri0111's picture
gameri0111 19 July, 2019 - 16:23

i want to study abroad,i have dream to study in Sydney-Australia,to improve my english and also i think that is a wonderful city,also learning about this country and to learning to solve problems by myself,value more my family and have new experiences.

Zavi021's picture
Zavi021 19 July, 2019 - 16:22

of course, i think that will be an amazing experience, i want to study in germany or portugal, so i have to practice their lenguage and all about their culture, i think that will be an unique experience, and a difficult one because there are some problems like is the homesickness or the adaptation to a new culture, with new people.
but i will do it definitly

L18V07M20O02's picture
L18V07M20O02 19 July, 2019 - 16:22

Yes I would like to live abroad , I was thinking about it too much and I have the support of my parents if I want to leave, so I am taking this idea serously into my furure goals.
The idea os live abroad make me feel a combination of sadness and ilusion, because i want this new and kind of extreme experience in my life , even though I feel terrifying about life in another country away from my family , my home , my language I know that it will be better profesional and life options if I leave.So in that way I feel ready to front facing the new culture , language , education and life sstyle I will find maybe in Quebec.

Manrro2002's picture
Manrro2002 19 July, 2019 - 16:16

I believe that living abroad could be a marvellous experience, because it could give me the opportunities to interact with a lot of different cultures, pose a challenge for me, make me a more independant person and help me get employed in the future.
Besides, I also believe that it could be quite funny to go to study abroad and have to adapt to the new country.
The only thing that worries me is that I would be kind of away from home, but I could adapt to it

rosencratz's picture
rosencratz 19 July, 2019 - 16:11

The best way to answer is ; why wouldnt I? Studying and living abroad can definitely be considered one of the highest expectations someone could have about themselves. It is far beyond the area of expertise of most people and could become one of the best experiences one could ever live.

Py4iglazik's picture
Py4iglazik 29 June, 2019 - 11:53

Hi! I read your thinking about "living abroad" and I liked one of your phrase. I speak about "leap of faith into the unknown". You know, noone person from my environment don't think the same. Noone besides me! I live for this rules. Every day I think about the "leap of faith into the unknown" and It's my dream. And you the first person who think the same. If you will see my comment, please, write me. I want to talk with you.

Ariyan's picture
Ariyan 17 April, 2019 - 18:29

Of course, I would like to live abroad. Even I have a dream to study in London. You know, new place comes with new experience.

HYT's picture
HYT 14 April, 2019 - 14:23

Of course!
Living abroad not only can know the cluture of the country but also can learning what to solve problems by yourself. I very agree that take a chance will be the best thing you’ve ever done! Sometimes we need to make up my mind before we regret it. To do that we can learn things that we never meet.