Life in London

13
RosemaryM

At the moment, I'm doing an internship in London. It's my first experience of living in the capital city of the UK - and in a busy, tourist-filled metropolis it's easy to feel like a small fish in a very big pond. 

I take the tube to work; the London Underground is a great transport network and you can get across London much quicker than if you took a bus, or, in some cases, walked. However, first thing in the morning it's often very crowded on the tube. There's no air conditioning on the trains, and when there are a lot of people on board it can feel very claustrophobic. Occasionally there are delays which can be frustrating when you need to get to work! The tube can be quite expensive, at £4 for a single ticket. Luckily, if you have an Oyster card you pay almost half that! 

As a capital city, London has loads of great attractions. Some of them require an entrance fee, but there are lots of things which you can do for free. The Changing of the Guard at Buckingham Palace is a well-known event, which takes place daily at 11.30am between April and July. You can watch it for free - but you need to get there early if you want a good view! Most museums in London are free for everyone to enjoy, but donations are welcome. Last week, I visited the British Museum. I particularly liked the room filled with old watches and clocks. They even had a miniature replica of the astronomical clock in Strasbourg cathedral, which I visited several times while I was living in France.

One thing I love about London is the free newspapers and magazines. On Tuesdays, a magazine calledTime Out is published and it has great tips on what events are happening in London over the coming week. If you like fashion, you can pick up a copy of Stylist on Wednesdays. Every day, two newspapers are printed. You can pick up a copy of the Metro during the day, or later in the afternoon you can obtain a copy of the London Evening Standard. The articles aren't too long, and it's a great way to keep up with the news! 

As much as I'm enjoying living in London temporarily, it'll be nice to escape the big smoke (a slang term for London, due to the amount of pollution) and return home!

Would you like to live in London? 

cagla9's picture
cagla9 2 January, 2016 - 19:27

I have never been in London.I think living in London is very nice.Because there are historical places,museums.shopping malls in London.And London is capital of the UK.London is a big city and I like big city.Because education facilities are much improved.London streets are very clean and tidy.And this is an another reason for living London.London's tubes are also attracted my attention.At the moment I living in Turkey with my family but I want to live London in the future.Particularly I want to do my medicine internship in London.

agogoladze's picture
agogoladze 23 August, 2015 - 17:50

SOS People.... take me to LONDON pleaseeee!!
I'll be very obedient and dutiful girl,I promise!!!

Ken 24 August, 2015 - 08:32

SOS People..... Take me out of the big smoke pleeeeeesase!
I want to visit quiet places in the UK. Does anyone know somewhere??
(。・‧̫・。).**♡

catastrophe's picture
catastrophe 24 June, 2017 - 10:53

Ha, ha. I don't know about UK, but there are a few in India here. Would you like to know about them? :///

bojana13's picture
bojana13 23 August, 2015 - 10:38

Well ,yes I would like to see their culture and how are they in person.I never meet someone from England.

cklj's picture
cklj 22 August, 2015 - 19:12

I would love to visit London and to explore every corner of that city, but I'm not very sure if I would want to live there.

iva10 4 August, 2015 - 22:37

Yes my dream is to live in London.I want to learn all about their culture and all other stuff.London realy amasy me.

JoEditor's picture
JoEditor 2 August, 2015 - 06:51

Hi Lavender,
You can get an Oyster card at all the train stations in London. You can also buy one online too. Have a look at the 'Transport for London' website. You'll find all the information you need there
Best wishes, Jo (LearnEnglish Teens Team) 

MISS_LAU's picture
MISS_LAU 1 August, 2015 - 10:33

I visited London couple of years ago. I enjoyed a lot my visit and I think that it's a great place to know. However, I don't like this city to live. There're a lot of people in everywhere. Speaking for my experience, the tube's services has engineering problems all time and when you don't know a city it's difficult to take the bus (you don't know what stop you should take off!). Morever, it's said that it's a quite expensive city and if you want rent a cheap room you have to live too far of the city center.