Liverpool

27
JoEditor

As the topic I have chosen to write about is ‘life around the world,’ what could be a better beginning than the life I know best- that of my home city, Liverpool, in England’s rainy North-West? The weather may be wet, but with the city’s long maritime and docking history we’re all used to a little bit of water. As a result, there is plenty to do on a rainy day: from ‘The Beatles’ to giant spider crabs, if you name it, there’s a place to find out more about it. If architecture is your passion, we have plenty for you, too - between the ‘Three Graces’ standing proudly at the waterfront, our two famous cathedrals and the wonderful St. George’s Hall, you won’t know what to visit first. We also boast what is possibly the fanciest men’s toilet in the world, in the Philharmonic Pub- it’s special enough to be a ‘listed’ building, and you certainly won’t see that every day!

Of course, Liverpool has perhaps been made so well known due to its musical legends, but it’s not just ‘the fab four’ who have been successful; did you know that Liverpool has produced more Number 1 hits than anywhere else in the UK? These include a wide variety of artists, such as Elvis Costello, Frankie Goes to Hollywood and more recently the Lightning Seeds, who wrote the 1996 World Cup anthem ‘Three Lions.’ Another interesting and little known fact is that one of Reggae icon Bob Marley’s parents was from Liverpool, too.

As I have mentioned the World Cup, it would be silly of me not to talk about Liverpool’s greatest obsession: football! Like some other cities, it is home to not one, but two teams, both featured in the Premier League: Liverpool and Everton, or ‘The Reds and The Blues,’ and if you ask anybody which team they support you will not often meet someone who is not interested. Everton is the older of the two and has had great success in the past, but since the 1990s it has been Liverpool’s time to shine, usually being ranked within the top four teams in the league but sadly never coming first- give it time, we Scousers know how to persevere!

So, what is this word, ‘Scouser,’ then? It’s used all around the UK as a name for people from Liverpool, but most people are unaware of its origin: in fact, Scouse is the name of our city’s signature dish. Simple but delicious, this stew of potatoes, carrots and beef is seen as the cure for all ills because it is comforting and nutritious. Whenever I’m homesick, a bowl of Scouse will always make me feel like I’m back there. However, there are some things about it which remain a mystery, such as its odd sounding name. Some people believe that it is a word which was brought over by our Scandinavian residents, but nobody can say for certain where it really came from.

Indeed, there is such a mix of cultures in Liverpool that it could come from anywhere at all: our famously unique accent has influences from Ireland and Wales; each year we host Africa Oyé, the UK’s biggest free African music festival, in tribute to our residents from all over Africa; and we have the oldest Chinese population in Europe. For all these reasons and more, we were granted the status of European Capital of Culture in 2008. In short, we are a thriving community with origins all over the globe, so for me, when talking about life around the world, Liverpool is the perfect place to start!

Have you ever been to the UK? Which cities did you go to? Did you like it?

the_alchemist's picture
the_alchemist 28 November, 2015 - 15:43

I never visit UK yet. But I am a adventurous person and I will visit UK soon after my English course... :P

chaunguyen_cn's picture
chaunguyen_cn 4 January, 2015 - 08:20

Liverpool! It's a interested place. I will go there in the future if I can. I have to take GCSE in Viet Nam. I wish my dream would be true

justcricketforme 27 October, 2013 - 11:19

No, I've never been there but will for my studies and career most probably to London or Nottingham. UK's my favourite country.

InDanish's picture
InDanish 10 April, 2013 - 18:33

Ive been in Liverpool for a couple years ago, it was simply AMAZIN! We watched Liverpool - Wolwerhampton.
The city was awesome and everyone was nice. i wanna come back to Liverpool when igrow up for sure! :)
Sorry for bad english

Natalija 24 March, 2013 - 13:35

Hi, Jonathan!
Thanks for your comment;).
Yes, it was a great experience. I went to an English school, but there were students from many countries. I shared a room with a girl from England(she lives nearby the school, but she prefers living in a boarding school). She was great, and there were a lot of students from Germany and from Asia.
It was A-level program, so I could choose the subjects. I chose maths, chemistry, art and history. I was really content about the whole program and subjects were very interesting. We had an art library, and it was good for studying, with available material. But my favourite subject was maths. I'm going to study architecture.
Thanks for your best wishes;).

Natalija 20 March, 2013 - 21:48

I've been in both London and Oxford. London has something amazing in itself, that I can's stop admiring. I spent a year in London. It was a student's exchange program and it was great. I met a lot of interesting people, saw beautiful places and was introduced with English tradition.
Oxford is also beautiful. I was there too prepare myself for college and I was enchanted.
Some people say that English people aren't hospitable, but I don't share their opinion. People in England were very warm and good to talk to.
I was the most enchanted with Big Ben and the Tower Bridge. I like he nature in England, the air, the people, everything. I am looking forward to study there.

Jonathan - Coor... 21 March, 2013 - 03:40

Hi Something nice! I'm very happy you had a good experience in the UK, and especially in London as that's where I'm from. The student exchange sounds like a fantastic opportunity. What did you study? Did you go to an English school? I hope your second time in the UK will be just as good. 

Flo Gert's picture
Flo Gert 22 February, 2013 - 18:28

I did not know that Liverpool was the Capital of Culture in 2008, compliments!!! I really love UK, i think is the most attractive country because i like wet weather so much!

REDREDRED's picture
REDREDRED 3 February, 2013 - 12:16

I've never been to Uk, but I love this country! And especially i want to visit London and Liverpool. When i read this article I really interested in Liverpool. i think it's nice city and worth to go there.

Irini Real Madrid's picture
Irini Real Madrid 19 January, 2013 - 17:44

i have never been to the uk but i wish to be there soon.
if i will come to the uk i would like to visit london:)

m.tayyab's picture
m.tayyab 7 August, 2012 - 07:17

NO i have never been to the UK but i like UK very much and i want to go UK for study purpose. The city i lik much is the London.