Locked in love

80
JohnM

The Triana Bridge in Seville is one of the most romantic parts of the city. I’ve walked across it many times and I always see people getting their pictures taken there – especially couples – with the calm waters of the Guadalquivir River in the background. But this romantic location plays a part in another tradition for love-struck visitors: For if you walk across this bridge, you will see an interesting collection of padlocks attached to its iron railings. You will see a collection of love locks.

Love locks are a growing phenomenon in many cities in Europe. In general, these are padlocks that couples attach to public fixtures, like bridges, as a symbol of their relationship. And by throwing away the key, this represents their eternal love and commitment for each other – and their relationship becomes sealed forever.

Nobody really knows where love locks come from; there are many theories. For example, many people believe that the tradition comes from the book ‘Ho voglia di te’ (2006) by Italian author Federico Moccia, whose characters attach a padlock to a lamppost on the Milvian Bridge in Rome and throw the key into the river. And ever since, the Milvian Bridge has attracted couples from all over the world who come to attach their own symbol of love.

But the Most Ljubavi (‘The Bridge of Love’) in Vrnjačka Banja, Serbia is completely covered in love locks – and some have apparently been there since before the Second World War. The bridge had been a meeting place for an engaged couple, a woman and an officer, whose engagement then broke up when the man fell in love with somebody else. Devastated, the woman eventually died of a broken heart. So, young girls began to write their name and the name of their loved one onto a padlock and attach it to the bridge, throwing the key into the river. By binding their love, they hoped to never share the same fate as the heartbroken woman.

However, even symbols of love can cause problems.

There is a lot of concern that love locks are actually damaging bridges. For example, a few years ago, the lamppost on the Milvian Bridge became so threatened by the weight of all its love locks that it nearly collapsed. So, to avoid further damage, many padlocks were removed and people were encouraged to stop this tradition. But in 2007, the mayor of Rome decided to have steel columns constructed and these were placed on the bridge for couples to hang up love locks again.

Similarly, there had been concerns in Moscow, Russia about the Luzhkov Bridge. However, the city offered an alternative: a metal tree, to be used for attaching love locks. And now there are many more trees, creating a whole forest of love locks.

But not every city is as accepting to this tradition as Rome or Moscow – like Seville.

Yes, there's a collection of love locks on the Triana Bridge, but while couples think that their symbol of love will stay locked forever, Seville authorities have them removed. The city considers these padlocks a form of vandalism, believing that they are ugly and that they ruin the beauty of their bridge. Nonetheless, love prevails as couples resist and continue to attach padlocks to the bridge’s railings.

Love locks come with a lot of superstition. Whether it’s a form of protection or just an expression of affection, people are clearly enchanted by the idea of eternal love. But with just a padlock and a key, can love really be bound forever? Well, many couples think so, using their love lock as a physical token of their relationship. And this tradition is now so popular in many European cities - in general, the majority of love locks are left untouched, and some are even encouraged; however, many are also removed.

Therefore, for all those love-struck couples on the Triana Bridge in Seville, will their love really remain eternal once the physical token of their relationship has been destroyed?

Or is that just a silly superstition?

What do you think about 'love locks'? Is it a silly superstition or the key to finding true love?

Elsa007 2 June, 2015 - 14:32

I heard Paris is taking away all the locks from the bridge to preserve the beautiful view of the city. A number of keys dreaming for love are now gone! Will the love for the lovers be gone as well? If so, the keys must have a real magic to prove!?

Elsa007 2 June, 2015 - 15:07

Hi Jo, thank you for letting me know! I'll read it and make a comment later...! :-)
I've found there're plenty of interesting blogs here and I'm trying to catch up. I'd be glad if you could let me know any hot topic to read. ツ

dzeni 22 March, 2014 - 09:45

I like it and I don`t think that it`s silly. In my town there is one bridge which is covered love locks. It`s very romantic.

Stela.M's picture
Stela.M 25 June, 2013 - 19:38

hi natalija thnx very very much for your advice my dear friend......it helped me a lottt

Bosnianchild's picture
Bosnianchild 25 June, 2013 - 17:23

Yes.This is amanzing!They are also ''bridge of love'' in Sarajevo.But I don't know name

Natalija 20 June, 2013 - 17:33

Hi, JoEditor
I'm sorry, I didn't know I'm not allowed to write that, because I didn't write any name, address or something like that.
I understand it.
Thanks for reminding me, it won't happen again.

Stela.M's picture
Stela.M 20 June, 2013 - 16:51

hi joeditor.......we won't repeat it...however....we weren't talking about boyfriends since no one of us has a boyfriend........best wishes stela

Natalija 19 June, 2013 - 20:04

Hi, dear Stela:)
I'm so happy my advice helped you, and that you're OK now. You know you can always ask me whatever you want, whatever bothers you, and I'll try to give you a good and helpful advise. I'm glad you see me as a bigger sister, it means a lot. I'm glad to have you as a friend too:).
You're completely right, love is blind. I'm a hopeless romantic:). When we're in love, we don't see the bad features of our dream boy, just the good sides. But it seems you're conscious about that boy you've mentioned, and you see his bad traits too, you said he was the "bad" boy, with bad grades etc. You said you were in love, and it's great you found your soul mate. But on the other hand, the bad thing is that he's not so good boy, especially his behavior. You mentioned that you're quite different persons, but the opposites usually attracts each other. Perhaps you should try to find some other boy, because this one could influence you in a bad way, and spoil you.
I'm sure there'll emerge some other boy, worth your attention, and you'll love him and he'll love you, and he'll be your prince on white horse. It sounds like cliche, but it's true. In my opinion, we should avoid bad people, and to be with the good ones only.
Once again, I'm glad to have you as a friend, you're a kindred spirit:).
:)

Stela.M's picture
Stela.M 20 June, 2013 - 16:53

thnx dear friend.........i also wanted an advice from you........what should i wear in this prom.....can u tell me your opwn ideas about this ..........love stela

Natalija 21 June, 2013 - 11:01

Hi, Stela:)
This time I'll try to be shorter, and not to break the House Rules:).
Well, my choice would always be some dress and heels, because I like that style, but since you're into rap, than you should wear something that fits your style, perhaps you could look at some Nicki Minaj's outfits, since she's your idol. As I know, she wears dresses too, but if you don't like it, you can wear some trousers and sneakers as well, just less casual, and look nice. I know that because in my class there were some girls who had different style, so they wore more casual clothes, and looked pretty nice. You don't have to wear heels and dress to be pretty, just imagine how would you feel if you wore something that you don't feel comfortable in. So, don't be afraid to express your style and be yourself!
<3

JoEditor's picture
JoEditor 20 June, 2013 - 12:03

Hi Natalija and Stela.M,
I have cut parts of your comments. This is because it's not a good idea to share so much personal information online. It's nice that you have become friends but please be careful with sharing so much information. We know it's nice to chat about boyfriends sometimes but it's best to do this with your real friends in the real world. Is that OK? We hope you will understand this and keep your comments shorter and less personal in future.
Best wishes, Jo (LearnEnglish Teens Team)

Stela.M's picture
Stela.M 19 June, 2013 - 08:26

Hello my dear friend natalija!
now i feel much more better than before! an u wanna know why?it all happened just because of you..i'm so happy to have a friend like you.i'm `14 years old but i have never have a friend like you...even my parents didn't give my advices 'bout my problems...they keep arguing all day so i cannot talk with them for my problems or for the things that disturb me ...i feel so released right now....cuz i know that i have a bigger "sister" to help me when i'm sad,angry,excited etc......i feel so lucky to have u as a friend...you helped me find hope (in a hopeless place)....your comment relaxed me and inspired me at the same time..........i'm so happy that i'm using this site ,vuz i found a great treasure there,you ,my lovely friend......now i feel beter and thanks fr the valuable advises......and you know what? i'm gonna smile...even deep down in my soul i'm a bit worried...there is a boy in my class..... he has already realised that i like him,but he hasn't reacted..........one day i was so worried and he got closer to me....he huged me and than he said.. what happened with your heart??..i blushed and than i said in english : have u got any idea how fast my heart beats when you' re in front of me??....i'm sure he didn't get it cuz he said what? and i didn't repeat t for the second time...he"s so cute but if i invite him i'm sure he won't except.....he is a kind of gangster ,the strongest of my school,with bad grades at school,with not so good behaviour ...but love is blind ...i don't even know why i fell in love with this bad guy....i'm sure he won't except cuz he cannot stay with a girl like me...however...i also want to ask u if you had the same feelings for a boy in your class when you were 14 years old,just like me....if is not a secret of course..love Stela ♥♥♥♥
P.S 1: yes that's true...i was inspired by taylor swift and the song you belong with me for those words......i love her lyrics...
P.S 2:sometimes i want to say him : what you're looking for has been here the whole time....................why can't you seee...YOU BELONG WITH MEEEE..........;(;(;(☺♥☻

Natalija 17 June, 2013 - 17:47

Hi, my dear Stela:)
You SHOULD NOT have that opinion about yourself! I don't know what's your appearance like, but I know you're very kind and nice girl, and I think if a person has a good soul and intelligence, he can't be ugly. You're not ugly, in any way. I think that if we think good about ourselves, we'll look better in the eyes of others. If we think that we're ugly and compare ourselves with others, we may become bitter and unhappy. So, I want you to smile and to think about prom as the best time of your life. OK? :)
Being different isn't something bad or unusual, beauty is in diversity. If you like rap, sneakers, shirts etc., you should maintain that style and not to let others to influence you. Your words: ."they wear high heels,i wear sneakers,they wear dresses ,i wear t-shirts....." reminded me of Taylor Swift's song You belong with me:). Follow your clothing style, and you'll look the best in it. You don't have to wear heels or dresses to feel girly, you can look great in sneakers as well. I can bet you're not the only one who feels like that, we teens're always concerned about our looks, but we're the most beautiful when we wear the clothes we like. You said you were close to boys in your class. I think it's OK, boys can be bosom friends as well, and you have + concerning choosing a partner, because in my opinion, they all would accept you, because you're somehow the part of them. Stela, I had a problem with choosing a partner too. I actually didn't have much choice, because we didn't have good boys in class, they all were fools and idiots, but I didn't care, it's just one night. Choosing a partner was very unpleasant for me, because I'm a bit conservative, so I think that boys should ask a girl. That's why I end up with one unpleasant boy. Our president of class made a list of boys and girls who'll go together, and I went with one unpleasant boy. He was such a dull creature, and he was just sitting next to me all night, and he didn't say a word, neither asked me for dance or gave me a flower. All friends of mine got a flower that evening, except me. When I think about it now, I don't care at all, because it's not worth it. Anyhow, I had a great time at prom. I took photos with my friends, danced all night long, listened to music and I have nice memories.There was one boy who liked me very much, but he was shy and didn't want to ask me, I found it out later, but he looked at me whole evening, but that was all. I was shy and didn't express him I wanted to go with him, so he didn't make that first step. He was the nicest boy in our class, funny and smart, but it's all behind me now. So, from this mournful experience of mine, I advise you to go straight to that boy you'd like to go with, start talking about prom, and I think he'll offer you to go together. I think you're a cool, outgoing and smart, so you shouldn't be afraid of being rejected. After all, he'll regret for not having the chance to dance with such a nice girl; but I don't think he'll regret. Just follow your fashion sense, don't care of what others would say, and enjoy in that evening, because it happens just once. Let me know if this helped you.:)
<333

Stela.M's picture
Stela.M 16 June, 2013 - 10:18

hi my lovely friend natalija :) you said that you are 17 years old and you are 3 years older than me..i red thae article about the prom and i realised that i knew what prom was, but in albania we have a prom afer the third year of secondary school.it is a huge party and girls look like divas :p i have heard that you should invite a partner by your side....these days i learnt by my friends that in the end of the primary school we will have a mini -prom ....OMG i am feeling nervous just right now even why i know it is going to be after a year...i'm afraid i cannot choose one of my friends to stay by my side...it's horrible......i'm sure no one of them can except...i feel like i'm the ugliest girl in the world......i don't know what to do.....i'm feeling so bad about this.....it should be exciting,but this was the worst news i have ever learnt.........i hate myself right now.........my friends were so excited and they started talking about heels , decorations, dresses and i felt so lonely cuz everyone knows i'm not just like the other girls...they wear high heels,i wear sneakers,they wear dresses ,i wear t-shirts.....and that's just because i feel better and much more comfortable with these things..they listen love songs while i love rap and that's why i'm closer to the boys of my class and i feel like i'm part of them...but i can't invite a boy,he might not except ....so i would feel humiliated my whole life.......man,i can't do this....i wan't to disappear from earth that day///// please tell me what to do...was difficult for u to find the right guy...tell me ,what do u think about me....love :) stela

June's picture
June 22 June, 2013 - 18:27

Hi a Swifty!
I have never had a special feeling about any boy before, although I'm 15 years old now. People might think that it is weird, but I think it isn't. I don't know exactly where you're from but maybe you are affected by the lifestyle in your country. I'm from Vietname. And in my country, our parents don't like us to have boyfriends soon. I often watch some Disney series such as Wizards of Waverly Place, Good luck Charlie, The Suite Life on Deck. The love between Alex and Mason, Bailey and Cody seldom exist in my country. My advice for you is that you should let every be natural. To tell the truth, I love wearing T-shirts, jeans and sandals. I love getting up late and go to school with my crazy hair. I just think that it isn't necessary for me to focus on beatifying our appearance too much. We are still young. We can do that later but right now, we have a much more important thing to do: STUDYING. Besides, just be yourself. You are not them. You should be proud of yourself.
You are a Swifty, so you must have listened to the song "Fifteen" by Taylor. It's too clear. You can dream, your heart can beat faster than ever but you have to wake up as soon as possible. It hurts but you don't have another choice.
Also, in my country, there is no prom for senior school students. So I'm wondering what I would do if there were a prom, maybe stay at home, watch TV and draw a beautiful picture of my future prince someday :).
Best wishes.

Natalija 23 June, 2013 - 11:54

Hi, June!
I like your comment, it's wise and I agree about everything you wrote. I'm 17 years old, older than you, but I still share your opinion about this. And you're right that country's attitude toward love and boyfriends can influence a lot. Although all my friends had boyfriends, several of them, I haven't had one yet. You were right when you said that we have more important things to do, and the point of school is studying, not dates and boyfriends. We'll have plenty of time for that in future, we have the whole life to look forward.
Best wishes:)

Natalija 15 June, 2013 - 11:19

Hey, Stela:)
Oh, I'm sorry you're bored with little Stiven. But he's only 5, I think his behavior will change with years. But I completely understand you, little children can be such monsters sometimes, and naughty and they always want attention. I was the same when I was little, I bothered my sister very much, but I changed very fast, and we're on good terms now. You said you had been in hospital. I hope you're fine now, and that everything is okay with your health. I hate hospitals, it's so boring to be there. I was there once only, but it was the worst experience of my life. I cut my finger with glass and one piece of it was into my leg, so they had to extract it. The next day I had an important exam, and I was so exhausted and nervous, but everything was OK at the end.
I watched The Great Alexander, and I liked it very much. It's my favourite historical film, and Angelina was so gorgeous. I like that she helps other people, it's so kind of her, and she adopts homeless children. BTW, have you heard for Tose Proeski? He was one of the most famous Balkan singers, Macedonian, but he died in a car crash 5 years ago. He's my favourite singer. I still listen to his songs.
It's not hard for me to explain you what the prom is, of course. Prom is a kind of event, which is celebrated at the end of school-primary school or high school. It's usually held in some hotel or something like that, all the pupils gather together, with their teachers, and they celebrate the end of school with dance and music. Girls usually wear dresses and heels, and boys are well dressed too. It's a very nice event. I hope I've explained it:). If you want, you can read the article about prom on this site, in section Life in the UK.
<333

lili's picture
lili 19 May, 2013 - 07:20

I'm from Albania and we don't have this tradition here i don't know why becouse it looks amaizing and "Locked in Love"....<3;)

MALINE 15 April, 2013 - 00:36

I think love locks are just for fun,you don´t need an object to represent love,if you love someone you do everything to show it.
And imagine you break up with your boyfriend and you had put a love lock ,it will be a remainder of that broken relationship.

June's picture
June 30 April, 2013 - 05:19

I agree with you, MALINE. This is a nice tradition, but It doesn't mean that their love will last forever. Falling in love with somebody is sacrificing ourselves for her/him. Loving doesn't mean we have to stay with them all the time, It means we have to do everything to make our lovers happy, even get away...

Stela.M's picture
Stela.M 28 March, 2013 - 09:29

love is great thing..... love is just like the rainbow after the rain,is the light in the end of the tunnel.....is the most beautiful thing you can ever feel....love locks simbolise the love locked in our hearts which is wonderful...... unfortunately in albania there isn't a wall covered with these locks.....i would love to put my own lock there........so cuteeeeeeeeeeeeee......

Natalija 24 April, 2013 - 14:22

Hi, Stela.M.,
I like your comment and your thoughts about love, it's really true; love can be our biggest motivation and if we love, we can change this world on better. Greetings:).

Stela.M's picture
Stela.M 26 April, 2013 - 14:14

hi "something nice".....i'm also interested in you ....i like your comments and i think you're coooollll.......i hope we become great friends...what about you...do you have the same opinions as me? greetings from albania

Natalija 4 May, 2013 - 17:13

Hi, Stela:)
Sorry for answering late, I haven't seen your reply.
I'm glad you like my comments:). I'd like you to be my friend. You have a nice photo:).
So, what do you like doing in your free time? Do you have any hobby?
<3

Stela.M's picture
Stela.M 10 May, 2013 - 16:46

hi something nice........that's ok..... you have such a nice photo too........i love listening to music and reading is my hobby......i love playing basketball.i practise it 3 times a week and i think i'm good at basketball.....what about you? can you tell me your real name cause here you are called"something nice" and i don't think this s your real name ,isn't it? (:P) so tell me more about you,your hobbies,your city.....love stela <3

Natalija 11 May, 2013 - 20:48

Hi, Stela:)
So, you're right, my real name isn't Something nice. I'm Natalija.
Well, I'm almost 17 years old, and I like, as you, to read in my free time, and I like dancing the most. It's almost my profession, since I've been dancing since I was 5 and I'm attending the ballet high school. My hobby is also learning foreign languages, and I 'm trying to learn it as much as possible. I like travelling very much and I'm an adventurer. I live in Belgrade now, but I actually come from Dimitrovgrad. Belgrade is the capital of Serbia, and I like it very much. I've been living there for 3 years, and it has beautiful sites to visit. It's firstly the tower of Calemegdan. It's one of the ancientest historical places here, and it has a huge importance for Serbians. I like to go for long walks there, because the river Danube is nearby, so it's beautiful to observe it, especially in the night. Dimitrovgrad isn't so big city, rather a town, but it's so kind and agreeable to me, because that's the place my father comes from, and it's my real home. I go there very often at summer, and it's almost in Bulgaria, since it borders with it.
And where do you exactly live in Albania, in what city? Can you tell me something about it and about the people in Albania?
<3

Stela.M's picture
Stela.M 16 May, 2013 - 20:17

hi natalija .....so you are 4 years older than me.however you are my best friend now....you are such an interesing girl.....you wanted to know more about my city...well ..... tirana is the capital city of albania.it has a population around 1 million people and it is such a nice city.....i hope you will visit it sometimes ...i hope we meet together this summer cause i'm gonna visit SERBIA............ I'm a bit "crazy" (:P),a good friend,sociable etc.........tell me more about you please..............i wanna know you better.love stela

Natalija 19 May, 2013 - 13:03

Hi, Stela:)
I also think you're an interesting and friendly girl. I hope I'll visit Tirana once. I wish you to have great time in Serbia; Serbians are very hospitable people and our country is beautiful:). Well, I think I'm a good person, outgoing, although my friends at school think I'm shy:). I'm an adventurer, and I'm always trying to do something new every day. My sister thinks I'm a little crazy and too imaginative.I like dreaming about my future. I'm an excellent student and I'm attending ballet school and Gymnasium. I like traveling very much and I'd like to visit all countries of the world. I've been in many countries, including Turkey, the UK, the USA, Greece, France etc., but I'd like to visit Germany, Switzerland and some Asia's countries, like India, Iran etc.
I like sleeping, shopping, reading, learning new things, writing stories, playing sport, ballet etc.
What're your plans for future? Do you have any brothers or sisters?
<3

Stela.M's picture
Stela.M 20 May, 2013 - 16:53

hi again my lovely friend natalija ........ i have got a little brother called stiven and he is only 5 years old........i also want to visit germany and switzerland in the future because i learn german at school and i want to practise it.......i want to be a famous scientist in the future ..my favourite school subjects are :chemistry.physics,maths and biology .....i have got a billion plans for the future but i'm sure i can't make my dreams come true..i want to meet angelina jolie and nicki minaj just once in my life....they are my idols ........can you tell me more about your sister? about your favourite school subjects??????? love your friend stela <3 :*

Natalija 31 May, 2013 - 12:34

Hi, my dear friend:)
I'm so sorry I haven't answered you till today. When I checked my account, I didn't see you've answered me. Anyway, I checked, and I saw your comment. I'm so sorry:(. I like Germany and Switzerland too, and I'd like to visit it, especially Switzerland. I'be visiting Austria this September, and German is native language there, so I'll practice it a little. You know I speak German a little, but I"m not very knowledgeable, so I'll use this summer to improve my German skills. I like science too, and it's so nice you want to be a scientist, it's an amazing and responsible job. I wanted to be the same earlier, but now I'm thinking of law and architecture. I like maths and physics so much, they're my favourite subjects, but I'm not so talented for chemistry and bios. I think that maths s the basic of any sphere of life. Oh, don't be so sure your dreams won't come true. Who knows, perhaps you'll met them one day. Angelina Jolie is really talented and beautiful. What's your favourite film by her? I'd like to meet Kate Middleton and Michael Obama. My sister's 22-year-old, and she's studying French at university. Her name's Maša. She's on the third year of university. We usually get on well, but we have different interests and different dreams. We don't share the same taste, but I like her very much and so does she. She doesn't live with me anymore, because she moved to France, and she's at University of Sorbonne now, but she'll return this autumn:). I'm looking forward to her arrival, she misses me a lot. She's actually my half-sister, because she's my mother's daughter from the first marriage, but I don't care and I love her. You're older than your brother 8 years. I guess you like him very much and that you, as elder sister, protect him from everything. My sister does, and I like it. It's great to have an older sister or brother. I guess your brother is naughty too sometimes. How do you deal with that? Do you take after him?
My favourite school subjects, besides maths and physics, are English, French and Psychology. I like Psychology, because it helps me to better understand the people around me and I feel like I've been more sensible person since I've been studying this subject, and I"m also becoming more mature. I competed at Maths, Physics and English. Will you have a prom at school?
<3

Stela.M's picture
Stela.M 14 June, 2013 - 15:56

Hi Natalija...What's up buddy?.....i'm happy that you are much more lucky than i am...that's because you have an older sis and you can talk to her for your problems or just talk about your hobbies...i think it's a reall fun.....but i'm so boreddddddd with my little bro ....he is only 5 years old and he keeps singing and screaming all day...these days i have been staying in a hospital cuz i have been really really sick but my bro doesn't care...he keeps screaming and shouting the whole day (just like the song scream and shout-will.i.am ft. britney spears :P) . i told ya i want to meet angelina jolie and nicki minaj a few weeks ago and u wanted to know why.... nicki minaj is very famous and i want to meet her just once cuz i think she's very special and only one of her kind...while angelina jolie is a real DIVA....i'm so saddddd she was sick....my favourite movie was the great alexander ...she was alexander's mum in that movie...and OMG she was so cuteeeee...you can search in google images and see her photos....and sorry but i can't answer the last question cuz i dont get it...what does it mean .??? what is a prom??? sorry for not answering,hope you explain it to me (if is not hard to you) ....greetings from ALBANIA and love from your boring friend STELA <333333

Demy's picture
Demy 10 April, 2013 - 14:33

Hi, Stela.M ;) I like your comment and I agree that love is like rainbow in our life.....
Can I ask you? Are you from Albania? How old are you? ;)
Looking forward to your answer :)

Stela.M's picture
Stela.M 15 April, 2013 - 19:10

hi demy......i 'm happy you liked my comment ......... i'm from albania ...i'm only 14 years old...........what about you....

Demy's picture
Demy 16 April, 2013 - 15:00

Hi, Stela ;) I am 15 years old. I am from Ukraine :) Many people think that it's the same with Russia, but it isn't right. So do you know about my country? Because it isn't very popular, but it's beautiful.... Can you tell me something about Albania, if it not hard for you? :)

Stela.M's picture
Stela.M 18 April, 2013 - 18:51

albania is a very small country,but here live very nice and friendly people.albania is situated in the southwest of balkan peninsular....it has a popultaion over 3 million people....if i keep talking about albania,word will never end.....so what about ukraine?

Demy's picture
Demy 19 April, 2013 - 18:18

Thanks, Stela :) Ukraine is a big country... Ukraine is one of the largest countries of Eastern Europe. The capital of Ukraine is Kyiv. It has state borders with Russia, Belarus and Moldova. It also borders on Poland, Czechia, Slovakia, Hungary and Romania. In the south it is washed by the Black and the Azov seas. The population of Ukraine is about 47 million people... People speak Ukrainian, the official language of the country. The national currency in Ukraine is hryvnia.There are a lot of plaaces to see in Ukraine and to be proud of :) There the Carpathians with their legends, castles, cathedrals and unique traditions. There`s Kyiv-one of the oldest cities in Europe, with it`s historical monuments, museums, theatres, exhibitions halls, art galleries and it`s rich cultural life. The Ukrainians are a gregarious people who will often gather in cafes or street markets to socialize. What are you favourite singers and songs? What kind of music do you like to listen? :)

Stela.M's picture
Stela.M 21 April, 2013 - 09:35

hi demy.....me favourite sigers are:taylor swift,rihanna,adele,beyonce and i also love rappers like eminem or LIL WAYNE.i think they are just great...i listen to R&B ,hip hop ,metallica etc.i love taylor swift(even she's not an r&b /hip hop/metallica singer? because she has painful songs ,she talks a lot about love......you know my opinion about love !!! what about you? can you tell me some of the most famous singers in ukraine??
love stelaaa

Demy's picture
Demy 22 April, 2013 - 13:45

Hi, my dear friend <3
I complitaly agree with you bout favourite singers. Me too I like taylor swift too much =) So I listen mostly rock, hip hop ,metallica and pop. But I can listen all kinds of music because my mood is very changeable =)
So there are some names of famous Ukrainian singers : Ani Lorak, Éryka, Alyosha, Bumboks, Zlata Ohnevych, Okean Élʹzy (Ані Лорак, Эрика, Alyosha, Бумбокс, Злата Огневич, Океан Эльзы). If really I don't like Ukrainian and Russian music. I prefer more foreign music... but I can give you a name of one song in Ukrainian (not Russian language). You can find it on YouTube. It's Zlata Ohnevych 'Зозуля' (In English cuckoo :). Do you like this song and language? And what about famous Albanian singers and songs? Can you give me a name please?
Your new friend Demy <3

Stela.M's picture
Stela.M 23 April, 2013 - 19:51

hi my dear friend......some famous singers in albania are: miriam cani,elvana gjata,ronela hajati etc...the group i love is babastars and you can also find it in youtube...i agree with u ..i also love foreign music.love stela<3 :*

Natalija 20 March, 2013 - 15:53

I'm from Serbia and I saw The Most Ljubavi in Vrnjacka Banja. It's really amazing, and it's tradition there to buy a key and to throw it down the river. I tried it when I was with my friends there, just for joking. It's the biggest tourist attraction there.