London Vibes

GraceE

Last weekend I decided to visit one of my friends in London. I caught the train from my town in the centre of England, and in two hours I had arrived at Euston - the main train station in London.

I had to buy a ticket for the Underground. For those of you who don't know, the Underground is a tremendous network of trains that run underneath your feet! I had to wait 20 minutes in a queue to get to the machine. I could see some people topping-up their Oyster Cards. These cards can be used like bank cards, but only on public transport. You place them on a gadget which takes the money from your card, and then you are allowed to enter the gate into the Underground. A lot of people were looking at the Underground map. There are 11 lines in total, all different colours! It also has the nickname The Tube.

After I had dropped off my bag at my friend's flat, we agreed to go shopping, so we headed for busy Oxford Street. There are so many shops and thousands of people. Some are on holiday, stopping to take pictures; some are on their lunch break and are walking really fast, many of them on their mobile phones. I bought a jumper and a necklace and my friend bought some sunglasses.

Later, we fancied a curry, so we went to Brick Lane, a street in East London famous for Bangladeshi restaurants. We both ordered Chicken Tikka Masala. It came with rice and naan bread. It was so delicious and tasty! We wanted more. Yummy!

The next day we visited Buckingham Palace. My friend is obsessed with the Royal Family, so we took photos of her standing outside the Queen's house. Prince William and Kate Middleton have just had a baby boy! His name is George.

Next, we had a picnic at Hyde Park, which is quite near to the palace. We ate cheese and onion sandwiches, tuna and sweetcorn sandwiches, some crisps, a yoghurt and some strawberries. We sat on a blanket and threw our crusts to the birds that were nearby! There were also a lot of squirrels running close to the trees.

Suddenly it was my last day! My train wasn't until the afternoon, so we got up early and went to the Tate Modern gallery. It is full of international modern art. We saw paintings by Pablo Picasso, Roy Lichtenstein and Andy Warhol! We walked around different rooms and saw sculptures, photographs and installations.

At 5 o'clock I boarded my train at Euston. Two hours and three cups of tea later I was back in my home town!

What is the capital city of your country like? Have you been on a trip recently? Would you like to visit London? 

cklj's picture
cklj 2 July, 2016 - 10:13

The capital of my country is Skopje. It is the biggest city in Macedonia, but compared to other capital cities, Skopje is actually not very big. In the past few years many things changed. On the main square there are new monuments, new fountains, new museums and theaters and there are so many other places to visit. With this changes there are more and more tourists in Skopje every day.
Recently I went to Struga. It's a city in my country. It's a nice city. I especially love the lake.
I haven't visited to London, but I'd definitely love to.

chaunguyen_cn's picture
chaunguyen_cn 4 January, 2015 - 09:08

The capital of Viet Nam is Ha Noi. It is a beautifull place with history. The delicious food, friendly peple, beautifull places. Do you visit Ha Noi? This is a interesting trip.
I' ve never gone to London. But Im very love it. If I have opportunity, I will go there.

Fatime143's picture
Fatime143 7 March, 2014 - 20:00

The capital of Azerbaijan is Baku.İt is in the Absheron peninsula.İt is a big,modern city in the world.it has many monuments,ancient buildings,fortresses and .......

bedro's picture
bedro 7 December, 2013 - 12:01

I'm from Algeria .. Algiers' It is nice to visit London but I want to complete my studies in London. Lovely place. High level in the future ...

justcricketforme 20 October, 2013 - 11:51

The capital of Pakistan is Islamabad and I don't have to visit it because I live in it. Islamabad is really famous for it's greenery, shops, malls and ofcourse becuase of the Supreme Court, Parliment, DDiplomatic Enclave and all. Islamabad is the most expensive city in the whole Pakistan. It's resturants are awesome. It's very famous nowadays because of this mall 'centaurus' which is like Dubai's. I'd love to visit Lodon because I love the place. London and Nottingham are my favourite cities.

Toma English's picture
Toma English 17 October, 2013 - 21:41

The Capital of Egypt is Cairo , It's very crowded and it suffers from traffic jam :D but there are nice places I hear about :D and it have an amazing square called Al-Tahrir, now this square is famous for the 25th Jan revolution , it's grass was destroyed because of the crowd of the revolution...
I've not been to a trip recently ,, it's not safe at all
and yes I don't just want to visit London , I want to live there :) I'm impressed of London

Natalija 14 October, 2013 - 14:52

The capital of Serbia is Belgrade, it's one of the biggest cities on Balkan and it has population of 2 million people. It's really a big city and it's more developed compared to other cities in Serbia and many people move to Belgrade to study and to find a job. It has many monuments, fortresses, ancient buildings, but modern as well, and it's center of good fun on Balkan. :-)
I've been on a trip recently, I visited Prague and Vienna, and I really liked these cities.
I've already been to London, but I'd like to go there again.

Lavender 29 September, 2013 - 18:28

A very nice article, I like it.
By the way, may I ask a question? Kate is now got married to Prince William why we still call her Middleton?
Thank you :)

Jonathan - Coor... 2 October, 2013 - 04:22

Hi Lavender! I think it's to do with the media. When she became famous (before they got married), there was a lot of media coverage and stories and reports about Kate in the newspapers, so the media got used to calling her Kate Middleton and still do so even though she's married now.

She also seems like a nice, down-to-earth person and that name is a very normal-sounding name, like the name of an average person in the street, so people can relate to her more. It sounds more friendly than her official title, Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge, which sounds more grand and formal.

Are you interested in the Royal Family? Do you like William and Kate?

Lavender 3 October, 2013 - 06:30

Thank you Jonathan. Now I understand.
I admire Kate a lot, she's beautiful and smart and fashionable.
Hope one day British Council will have an article about her life.